Agree Agree:  355
Likes Likes:  280
Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13385359606162636465 LastLast

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    How about no? Maybe I'm not understanding the timeline you have in mind, but there's a glaring issue with this and is about as big of a hell no as it gets.
    What's the issue?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

My time line is: play the L.American clay court season, which mostly are local players, in Jan-Feb. Move to hardcourts in Feb-Mar, Aussie open in early April. Move to clay courts in Europe, delay RG a bit, delay W a bit too.
    Heck, everybody is making sacrifices. If you want to accommodate clay, then move all these a couple of weeks.
    But as big as a hell-no as it gets? I thought that was not holding Wimbledon. And it happened.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I also don't understand what the problem is...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    What's the issue?
    A little thing called football. Miami is a no go on the early part of the calendar. And that stadium cannot be used immediately after football season is over.

@ponchi, you're, and I suspect others, are too focused on tennis because I know you know this. The biggest hell no as it gets is anything, and I mean anything, disrupting NFL and college football

Granted, I was not thinking NFL. But the last game for Miami is on Jan 3rd. And as much as I like Miami and I do think they make the play-offs, they are not getting home field advantage all the way.
    Ok, logistics with the stadium, which is simply another unforeseen reason why holding that tournament at Hard Rock is silly.

On a separate item: I think this would be a great chance for the ATP/WTA/ITF to fix the schedules. Really starting from scratch.

Miami is in the playoff hunt, which is an expanded playoffs, so their last home game date is truly unknown.

There's also a small championship game taking place on January 11th.

And these are the things I know off the top of my head. I don't know if they have anything else major planned for the stadium. They fit the Open in at the Hard Rock on a hope, a wish, and a prayer. To say their agreement wasn't meant for juggling is an understatement. It takes weeks to set up and tear down.

I was totally not thinking about the NFL.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

A little thing called football. Miami is a no go on the early part of the calendar. And that stadium cannot be used immediately after football season is over.

@ponchi, you're, and I suspect others, are too focused on tennis because I know you know this. The biggest hell no as it gets is anything, and I mean anything, disrupting NFL and college football

If there are no spectators, Miami can be played in the old Crandon Park grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    If there are no spectators, Miami can be played in the old Crandon Park grounds.
    With that family, I wouldn't assume that at all. And on the other end, feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen. As for spectators, that would have to be the event limiting it, cause you know Desantis isn't willing to put in a single limit at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I was totally not thinking about the NFL.
    NFL is a major problem. But college football is just as big of a problem. At the very earliest, Hard Rock stadium can't possibly start the changeover for a week after the championship game is over. And given what's happened so far this season, I wouldn't set the date of that puppy in stone. They just came out this week and said the playoff dates will remain flexible because of the many postponed games. And that's also assuming they aren't hosting any other college football events, such as any of the bowl games for seniors, which stupidly have not all been cancelled.

If Miami was played in late February/early March wouldn't that avoid all conflicts with the football schedule. The tours could move the indoor European South American clay tournaments to early to mid January - then pay Indian Wells mid February. That would still leave time for players to go to Australia in mid-March & play the Australian Open in early April. The early Asian events are just not going to happen next year.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

AO update

https://twitter.com/craigtiley/statu...475900416?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@skatingfan, I'm not sure of the exact schedule @ponchi was considering, and I may have been assuming too much, but it felt like he was trying to lessen the travel burden and go East to West to Further West (Miami to IW to Australia and not IW to Miami to Australia).

But in terms of scheduling around football, yes, putting Indian Wells first then Miami second is ideal, that would definitely seem a lot more feasible with what I think is currently on the books for college football and covering a potential playoff run for the Miami Dolphins.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

At this moment, Australia is doing much, much, much better at managing the virus than are Florida and California (in terms of positive cases per capita and deaths per capita). According to the statistics, Australia is one of the best countries on the planet right now when it comes to managing the virus (among 'developed' countries whose numbers can be most trusted).

For the purposes of planning tennis tournaments at this point in time, we can only assume that the current massive differences between Florida & California and Australia will remain more or less the same for the foreseeable months.
    As such, unless I'm completely missing something, in terms of health and safety, it makes no sense at all to substitute a more dangerous area in place of a less dangerous one.

(click on 'Choose your filters')...
    https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/202.../index-en.html
    Last edited by Deuce*; 11-21-2020 at 11:55 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

@skatingfan, I'm not sure of the exact schedule @ponchi was considering, and I may have been assuming too much, but it felt like he was trying to lessen the travel burden and go East to West to Further West (Miami to IW to Australia and not IW to Miami to Australia).

But in terms of scheduling around football, yes, putting Indian Wells first then Miami second is ideal, that would definitely seem a lot more feasible with what I think is currently on the books for college football and covering a potential playoff run for the Miami Dolphins.
    Indeed the traveling was part of what I was thinking. For Americans it means little but for Europeans, and specially Eastern Europeans, it is Europe-American West Coast, American East Coast, Australia. The jet lag would be severe.
    @Deuce. Indeed, Australia is doing better than the USA. But here we are talking best case scenarios. The worst case scenarios is that one, many or all tournaments get suspended. In short, what is being tried to avoid.

Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13385359606162636465 LastLast