Agree Agree:  353
Likes Likes:  279
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1439546061626364

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

The more I think about this, the harder I see Aussie Open in April as a good move in terms of getting a full slate of players to attend. January seems to be the time for them to stage the event in every way.

Is the thinking that it would be 4 weeks or so in Australia? Because I wasn't really thinking about it, but once you add in travel and recovery, I could see it being 5 or 6 weeks and it would certainly bleed heavily into the clay court season at that point.

Not only would moving the AO to April take an incredible amount of coordination and acquiescence from other tournaments (Not just IW and Miami, but Dubai, Doha, Charleston, Stuttgart, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, maybe Madrid). And even though yes, the AO is the grand slam, they held their 2020 event. Most of the others did not and are in worse financial straits because of it.

I'm not sure the other events just cave to the grand slam this time. Could we possibly see a competing schedule? I don't see AO coming out the winner if that ends up happening. And if I remember correctly, AO was part of the group that slammed the French Open for their unilateral planning, so I'd think they wouldn't just pick a date on the schedule without talking to the others, but these are strange times. When those criticisms came, no one thought we'd still be in the middle of this in the manner that we are.

The latest rumors are that they'll push it back only by a week or two. Nothing yet confirmed, though.
    Roger forever

I guess we all agree it is a mess. But making it worse is that it seems that none of the organizations are talking to each other. Not only it is complex; it seems everybody is trying to solve THEIR problem, not the common one of two worldwide tours that want to carry on.
    It can be done. But it needs coordination. And the only people that I see talking about it are 12 squirrels in an obscure forum, somewhere in cyberland.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

The ATP, the AO TD Craig Tiley and Godsick's organization are hashing things out. The WTA, led by Simon, is waiting to be told what to do.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

These people are not really in charge here. Victoria provincial government is and they need to be made comfortable with whatever arrangement there is.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    These people are not really in charge here. Victoria provincial government is and they need to be made comfortable with whatever arrangement there is.
    And on the tennis side word will go just as I said.

AUSTRALIAN OPEN COULD ELIMINATE QUALIFYING TO REDUCE START DATE DELAY

By Kamakshi Tandon

The Australian Open could consider cancelling qualifying in a bid to reduce delays, according to the Melbourne Age.

Tennis Australia has been seeking permission from the state government of Victoria to bring players and their teams into the country, where there are strict restrictions on entry and limits on hotel capacity due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Victoria government has already pushed the date back by at least two weeks, potentially delaying the start of the tournament.

Among the issues appears to be the numbers involved—as many as 2,500 would be arriving, according to previous figures cited by Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley. Removing the qualifying event, as was done at the US Open, would reduce that amount.

That would allow players to enter sooner and help the event begin in the fourth week of January, limiting the delay to one week. There has been speculation that it could be pushed back further, but The Melbourne Age said that rights holder Channel Nine prefers the tournament played around its usual slot in the schedule.

The ATP and WTA tours are likely to oppose the cancellation of qualifying events, which will affect already hard-hit lower-ranked players, but at the same time, do not want the Grand Slam to run into other scheduled tour events.

The junior tournaments have already been cancelled.

Tennis Australia has also asked the Victoria government to allow players to train during their required two-week quarantine and potentially even compete under special safety protocols, something the government is considering but has not approved. It would involve spending AU$33 million on creating a bubble for players and teams, according to Tennis Australia.

The schedule of warm-up events is still not decided, but all have provisionally been moved to Melbourne and will likely be organized in some sort of reduced form. A decision is also expected on whether crowds will be allowed.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020...-bubble/91910/

Andreas Seppi has tested positive for Corona virus. He's had symptoms but is feeling better, according to local media in South Tyrol. https://www.sportnews.bz/artikel/ten...orona-getestet

John Wertheim is reporting on Twitter the following likely solution for AO:

- players arrive January 5-7th and start their 14 day quarantine
    - week of January 25th qualies + warm up events
    - AO starts week of February 1st

He didn't say, but I assume both tours leave Australia immediately after the end of AO.
    Roger forever

So there won't be any warm up events?

Will they be able to train? Otherwise, it will be a fun Aussie: Winners 9 - Unforced Errors - 147

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    So there won't be any warm up events?
    The week of qualies - warm up events for everyone with direct entry or a wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Will they be able to train? Otherwise, it will be a fun Aussie: Winners 9 - Unforced Errors - 147
    How much worse do you play the first day or two after not playing for 2 weeks due to non injury related reasons?
    Roger forever

Me personally? At least down by 40%, and that is being generous. And my serve would make Sara Errani split a gut laughing, after two weeks off.
    These people need to be on court every day. I believe i would be a major issue. And Daniil agrees.

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1439546061626364