Agree Agree:  254
Likes Likes:  197
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Maybe a long shot, but I wonder if they could come up with a place for quarantine where they would have access to courts that were within the boundaries of their quarantine. Maybe they could have tents on the grounds of the tennis center.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    They would arrive a month before anyway if there are any warm up tournaments...

There won't be, otherwise they'd have to quarantine again for 2 weeks after those, unless they're also held at the same location.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    There won't be, otherwise they'd have to quarantine again for 2 weeks after those, unless they're also held at the same location.
    Why would they need to do that? The quarantine is for entering US or am I missing something? You can travel freely from CA to NYC...
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Why would they need to do that? The quarantine is for entering US or am I missing something? You can travel freely from CA to NYC...
    I guess my perception of how it would work is based on what Bundesliga are doing, which means the quarantine for athletes/personnel would involve staying in place and only being able to access designated areas. I can't imagine it'd be wise to let them out in NYC, which even in September will still be somewhat of a hotspot, especially if borders reopen.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

They would arrive a month before anyway if there are any warm up tournaments...
    Get difficult if you have to change country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has got to be a resort with enough hard courts and a very big and proper gym for the players to quarantine and train before the US Closed. And such a resort would be so willing to give them a package for the two weeks stay (I still don't see tourism coming back that fast).
    But the thing will be that, as M8 says, NYC will most likely be a hot spot then. So, after finishing the tournament, going back to your final destination will mean another quarantine.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

How would this work for Chinese players?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Why would it be different for Chinese players? You think Trump won't let them in? Possible, but still some time till mid August...
    Roger forever

Herwig Straka: “Organizers Want To Host US Open If At All Possible”
    May 19, 2020

STARNBERG, May 19, 2020

While the global tennis tour was halted on March 8 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and has since seen Wimbledon cancelled and the start of Roland Garros moved to September 27, the US Open still occupied its usual spot on the 2020 calendar.

“Organizers of the US Open want to host this year’s tournament if at all possible,” Herwig Straka, member of the ATP Board of Directors, gave an update on the current situation of the internaional tennis circuit during an interview on Sky Sports News HD Germany on Monday.

However, the number of infections in the United States has risen dramatically since the first week of March with the U.S. now having more confirmed cases and deaths than any other country worldwide. As of May 18, around 1.48 million cases of COVID-19 had been reported according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. All 50 states have been affected, but New York has the highest number of deaths and has notified more cases than any single country outside of the United States. The US Open, whose main draw is currently scheduled from August 31 to September 13 at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, is near the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the New York City borough of Queens.

“The current health situation in the United States concerning COVID-19 is not the best. Responsible action would be needed in order to protect the health and safety of the players, staff, as well as the wider tennis community. Therefore hosting a larger US-swing seems unlikely at the moment but a Grand Slam tournament is obviously the peak of the season,” said Straka.

US Open decision to affect other international tournaments

International players also have to overcome the hurdle that currently all people entering the country must quarantine for 14 days. A final decision on the US Open isn’t expected until mid-June and is not only of interest for the tournaments in North America.

“In mid-June we will also know what will happen with our tournaments here in Europe scheduled for August. Ten weeks lead time is enough for a tournament, which will be held at a club. For organizers of the indoor events in autumn, however, it will be more difficult, as they will need more time. The middle of June will be decisive,” said Straka, who is also the tournament director of the Erste Bank Open 500 event in Vienna in November. The Austrian has been serving on several boards in men’s tennis, among others as a member of the ATP Tournament Council since 2010.

http://www.tennis-tourtalk.com/57820...t-all-possible
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I guess this is Wertheim's source.

I thought from the beginning that the USTA/ITF would want try to hold the US Open. The hospital has been closed. As the article points out with cases rising in the US and the issues players would face returning to their countries I wonder who will play? Will there be a US born winner this year if they have their way?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I think French will also try to hold their event unless outright forbidden to do so by the government. We'll see...
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It also raises an interesting question about whether the tours would treat it as mandatory under the circumstances. I mean, points are all up in the air right now anyway (has either tour said what's happening with points from cancelled tournaments?). But it would be awkward to create a situation where players felt they had to go to NYC if there's still a high infection rate there, or lose a lot of ranking points. Would they offer protected rankings for players who chose not to travel?

I notice the ATP web site shows rankings frozen at Mar. 16 so maybe they did say something about this?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Why would it be different for Chinese players? You think Trump won't let them in? Possible, but still some time till mid August...
    I can't imagine the travel ban from China being lifted anytime soon. Though it may be different for Chinese players who don't use China as a home base.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I can't imagine the travel ban from China being lifted anytime soon. Though it may be different for Chinese players who don't use China as a home base.
    How does the ban work? I mean, is the ban on flights from China or on people holding Chinese passports? Sorry but I haven't been following that particular part of this crises very closely.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    It also raises an interesting question about whether the tours would treat it as mandatory under the circumstances. I mean, points are all up in the air right now anyway (has either tour said what's happening with points from cancelled tournaments?). But it would be awkward to create a situation where players felt they had to go to NYC if there's still a high infection rate there, or lose a lot of ranking points. Would they offer protected rankings for players who chose not to travel?

I notice the ATP web site shows rankings frozen at Mar. 16 so maybe they did say something about this?
    No, they have not said anything. The only information is that the ranking are frozen until further notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast