Agree Agree:  254
Likes Likes:  197
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162237 ... LastLast
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

I don't understand the Rogers Cup being cancelled at this time. I realize that it's due to the provincial government decision - which I believe is only a 'recommendation' - that cultural and sporting events not be held before the end of August... but the Rogers Cup is 4 months away. Cancelling at this point is premature and seems to serve little purpose other than to save some fans from making travel arrangements to attend.
    When they cancelled Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago, there were people saying that was done too soon - and that was about 3 months before Wimbledon would have started. If 3 months is premature, 4 months is extremely premature.

I've also heard that the same provincial government's recommendation about there being no cultural or sporting events until the end of August DOES NOT include professional hockey, football, or soccer. So the NHL, CFL, and MLS are not affected by this. This is odd, as those are team sports, where the players are in much closer proximity than they are in tennis.
    Eugene Lapierre - director of the Rogers Cup - said this is because of tennis' more international flavour, with players coming in from many different countries - more so than in the other sports. But that's not necessarily true, except for football, where the huge majority of players are from North America. But hockey and soccer players are very close to tennis in terms of being from various countries.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 04-11-2020 at 10:50 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

By now I guess everybody is in agreement that there is no way this COVID pandemic will be in check before the end of the year. So why even bother pretending there will be tournaments?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

They try to salvage some money for themselves and also for players. There are probably less than 100 players of either gender who can comfortably live with no tennis income till next year.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    By now I guess everybody is in agreement that there is no way this COVID pandemic will be in check before the end of the year. So why even bother pretending there will be tournaments?
    If that applies to tennis, it would have to apply to every other sport, as well - with the possible exception of lawn bowling, where there are presumably few fans, and where the balls are not touched by more than one person.

I wonder what the primary concern is in the majority of sports - is it having the fans there, or is it the close proximity of the players to each other (in some sports), as well as more than one player coming into contact with the balls.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I would assume like everything it's bringing people together in a location. What sport is really irrelevant. When people congregate even when trying to keep distant is risky.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I would assume like everything it's bringing people together in a location. What sport is really irrelevant. When people congregate even when trying to keep distant is risky.
    ^ But that then brings up the option of playing (whichever sport) without fans.
    Of course, there are financial considerations... without the fans, they obviously don't get revenue from ticket sales, concessions, souvenirs, etc. And there are expenses to running an event, of course...
    But, on the other side, there are fewer staff to pay if there are no fans... and they would still get revenue from sponsors and television - though likely not as much as in normal times...

That's why I'm wondering if there is something other than the gathering of fans that is stopping the powers that be in various sports from playing the games without live fans.

The traveling from all over, shared locker rooms, showers, toilet facilities, exercise equipment, etc., coupled with asymptomatic virus shedding, high contagiousness and lasting contamination on common smooth surfaces - doorknobs, stair rails, counters, fixtures.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 3mlm View Post
    The traveling from all over, shared locker rooms, showers, toilet facilities, exercise equipment, etc., coupled with asymptomatic virus shedding, high contagiousness and lasting contamination on common smooth surfaces - doorknobs, stair rails, counters, fixtures.
    ^ Granted... but that applies to all of us in the sports we practice, not just the pros. Yet the Czech Republic has opened up their tennis courts to the public (the outdoor ones, at least)...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ Granted... but that applies to all of us in the sports we practice, not just the pros. Yet the Czech Republic has opened up their tennis courts to the public (the outdoor ones, at least)...
    It takes a lot more than 2 people to produce a sport event for spectators at any level, let alone professional level with international athletes. There's a difference between having 2 random people hitting a ball, and having:

- Players
    - Coaches + team
    - tournament owners/officials
    - custodial and maintenance staff
    - umpires
    - catering
    - stringers
    - line judges
    - ballkids (and parents)
    - tv crew
    - medical staff
    - security
    - transportation team

All of these people would need to come together. Plus you need hotels, restaurants, air travel to be operational to run a tournament of any minor significance (above the let's say $10,000 challenger you could maybe fill with local-ish players)

Above is the bare minimum off the top of my head, and that's without spectators.

April 13, 2020

UPDATE ON SUSPENSION OF PLAY AND EVENT CHANGES

Due to the continued situation surrounding the COVID-19 virus, and after discussions with the USTA Medical Advisory Committee, effective immediately the USTA will extend the suspension of USTA sanctioned products and events through May 31. This includes:

• Adult and Junior Tournaments
    • USTA League
    • USTA Junior Team Tennis
    • USTA Social Leagues
    • Team Challenge
    • Team Tournaments
    • USTA Schools programs
    • Tennis on Campus
    • Wheelchair events

Additionally, recognizing the evolving and fast-changing nature of this situation, the USTA will continue to monitor and assess conditions to make future determinations about events and activities taking place after May 31.

"The impact of COVID-19 has been felt across the tennis landscape, and it is our goal to ensure that the sport is able to be played in a safe and healthy fashion at the parks and facilities throughout the country once the pandemic subsides," said Patrick Galbraith, Chairman of the Board and President, USTA. "One of the greatest aspects of this game is that it fosters a true community, and we look forward to the time when we can return to our local courts and use tennis to unite us all, once again."

All Category 1 and Super Category 2 National Adult Tournaments with an ITF status, all ITF Junior events, all Junior, Adult and Wheelchair L1 - L3 events, and all USTA Pro Circuit and professional events will align with the same calendar as the ITF, ATP and WTA, and be suspended through July 12. The National Clay Court Championships, slated to begin on July 11, will proceed as scheduled, at this time.

The determination has also been made to suspend the calculation and publication of the National Standings List (NSL) for Adult, Junior and Wheelchair play until further notice. The NSL published on March 18 will serve as the most current until tournament competition resumes.

In addition, to ensure that play taking place at local facilities will be the focus once the pandemic subsides, the following events will be canceled for 2020:

• USTA League National Championships
    • USTA Junior Team Tennis National Championships
    • USTA Junior Intersectional Team Championships

For more information on the cancelation of the USTA League National Championships and USTA Junior Team Tennis National Championships, please visit the FAQ.

The USTA Eastern Section has also canceled its 2020 USTA League Section Championships and its 2020 USTA Junior Team Tennis Section Championships. For more information on these USTA Eastern Section cancellations, please visit their website here.

The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y., is currently closed to the public. The facility's Indoor Tennis Center has been converted to a temporary hospital for COVID-19 patients, while Louis Armstrong Stadium is being utilized as a commissary to facilitate the creation of meal packages that are being distributed to patients, workers and New York City school children.

The USTA National Campus, in the Lake Nona area of Orlando, Fla., will remain closed for play and instructional opportunities through May 31.

Any patron who wishes to cancel participation in a scheduled activity should contact the specific location for refund information. These policies will be in effect pending additional guidance or directives from each local governmental agency and the CDC. The USTA will continue to monitor and assess conditions to make future determinations about all activities at these facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    It takes a lot more than 2 people to produce a sport event for spectators at any level, let alone professional level with international athletes.
    ^ Yes - I was replying to the post which mentioned shared showers, toilets, common surfaces, etc. - which applies not only to professional tournaments and games, but to recreational sports, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    There's a difference between having 2 random people hitting a ball, and having:

- Players
    - Coaches + team
    - tournament owners/officials
    - custodial and maintenance staff
    - umpires
    - catering
    - stringers
    - line judges
    - ballkids (and parents)
    - tv crew
    - medical staff
    - security
    - transportation team

All of these people would need to come together. Plus you need hotels, restaurants, air travel to be operational to run a tournament of any minor significance (above the let's say $10,000 challenger you could maybe fill with local-ish players)

Above is the bare minimum off the top of my head, and that's without spectators.
    ^ Yes - although a tournament could get by with 'skeleton crews' of many of the above mentioned positions, rather than the full crews... and players could go without the perks which come with a tournament run in normal times.
    And the above mentioned positions - or their equivalents - also apply to other professional sports, of course. So if one pro sport eventually figures out how to successfully proceed without live spectators, hopefully other sports will follow.

Laver Cup
    @LaverCup

Laver Cup Boston 2020 moved to 2021. Will be held September 24-26, 2021 @tdgarden. Read the full media release on http://LaverCup.com.

+1 RG
    Meet again we do, old foe...

The US Open is now the only major still scheduled.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Mutua Madrid has been doing a bang up job of recruiting players for their Virtual Open that will be happening in about a week (April 27-30th). I think it'll suck way more than a NBA or Nascar version because even tennis players do not play tennis video games on the regular, but it's a great effort to do something right now.

This is the lineup thus far. I'll include the picture since it's the easiest, let me know if you can't tell who someone is and I'll idenify. But I'll answer the most likely unknown now, the woman on the far right is Fiona Ferro, a rising French player.

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162237 ... LastLast