Agree Agree:  254
Likes Likes:  197
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152136 ... LastLast

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ Rafa's won more than a few tournaments on surfaces other than clay .

How well would Connors have done at the U.S. Open without the rambunctious energy of the New York crowd?
    Or Chrissie? Or Sampras?
    My point wasn't that Rafa has only won tournaments on clay. I know that. My point is that he would have won far fewer tournaments at the French Open if it had been played in Paris but on a different surface than if it had been played in a different city but still on clay, all of which is to say that changing location is less of a change than changing surface at a slam, which has been done in recently history both at the US Open and at the Australian Open, all of which is to say that there is precedent for major change at the majors, all of which is to say that I personally would much rather see the US Open played at, say, Indian Wells or Miami, than not played.

Kevin

Which surface plays faster - IW or Miami? If the US Open is to be played this year they will go for the location with the fastest surface and that can cram the most people in.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

What we've seen in the past won't apply especially in Miami in particular at a different time of year. Humidity much different. Also, have fun with hurricane season.

But in general, I'm against all things IW as anything other than it being the BNP Paribas Open. I'm not here for Larry Ellison exploiting the situation and doing an end-around to reach his ultimate goal.

OMG, can we delete this thread if it's not going to be about covid? There are a million other threads where people can trade barbs with one another, but this seems like a particularly inappropriate venue
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    OMG, can we delete this thread if it's not going to be about covid? There are a million other threads where people can trade barbs with one another, but this seems like a particularly inappropriate venue
    The discussions of both Sampras and Isner have been moved to "Tennis Random Random 2.0" thread

Good for trying to copy what Nascar and NBA are doing I guess to have some entertainment, but I don't see how this will work out anywhere near as well as those do.

MMOPEN
    @MutuaMadridOpen

We have exciting news! 🚨This year, the #MMOPEN cannot be played on the scheduled dates, but... it can be played online! 😌 The biggest @atptour and @WTA stars will square off from their homes in a unique competition. #PlayAtHome 🎮

https://www.madrid-open.com/en/mutua...ine-from-home/

Michael Gallo @Galloots

Government of Quebec calls for cancellation of all sports until August 31st, meaning the Rogers Cup in Montreal would fall under that. Tennis Canada says they hope to have an announcement on the status of the Rogers Cup by tomorrow.

TENNIS CANADA’S POSITION REGARDING THE GOVERNMENT OF QUEBEC’S REQUEST TO CANCEL ALL EVENTS SCHEDULED UNTIL AUGUST 31

Montreal, April 10, 2020 – Following the measures imposed by the Quebec Government prohibiting the holding of events until August 31, 2020, Tennis Canada is currently evaluating the consequences of this announcement by discussing the various options with the WTA regarding the postponement of the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank event in Montreal, which was scheduled to take place from August 7 to 16, 2020.

“We understand the decision coming from the Government of Quebec who has to consider the health and safety of the Quebec population,” stated Eugène Lapierre, Tournament Director of the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank in Montreal. “Our priority in the management of this crisis has always been to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our players, fans, volunteers, partners and employees and therefore our decisions will reflect this. We hope that our discussions with the WTA will allow us to make an official announcement on the status of the Rogers Cup by tomorrow.”

About Tennis Canada
    Founded in 1890, Tennis Canada is a non-profit, national sport association with a mission to lead the growth of tennis in Canada and a vision to become a world-leading tennis nation. We value teamwork, passion, integrity, innovation and excellence. Tennis Canada owns and operates the premier Rogers Cup presented by National Bank WTA and ATP Tour events, four professional ATP and ITF sanctioned events and financially supports four other professional tournaments in Canada. Tennis Canada operates junior national training centres/programs in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. Tennis Canada is a proud member of the International Tennis Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Canadian Paralympic Committee, and serves to administer, sponsor and select the teams for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, the Olympic and Paralympic Games and all wheelchair, junior and senior national teams. Tennis Canada invests its surplus into tennis development. For more information on Tennis Canada please visit our Web site at: www.tenniscanada.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

-30-

Media contacts

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Michael Gallo @Galloots

Government of Quebec calls for cancellation of all sports until August 31st, meaning the Rogers Cup in Montreal would fall under that. Tennis Canada says they hope to have an announcement on the status of the Rogers Cup by tomorrow.
    with September being very busy it is over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very likely over, but for now they can move to Toronto and stage it together with ATP. It will be behind closed doors anyway so matches can go on practice courts as well.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    It's very likely over, but for now they can move to Toronto and stage it together with ATP. It will be behind closed doors anyway so matches can go on practice courts as well.
    The City of Toronto is moving a little slower than Quebec & Montreal, but the likelihood is that they will cancel all events in the city until the fall, and in addition, at the moment the only players that can compete are the Canadians. The indication is that travel restrictions to and from Canada will last for some time to come.
    Last edited by skatingfan; 04-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    The City of Toronto is moving a little slower than Quebec & Montreal, but the likelihood is that they will cancel all events in the city until the fall, and in addition, at the moment the only players that can compete are the Canadians. The indications that travel restrictions to and from Canada will last for some time to come.
    So Genie may get a direct entry?
    (What a jerk, I know)
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Rogers Cup officially postponed to 2021

https://www.couperogers.com/en/news/...treal-to-2021/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    So Genie may get a direct entry?
    (What a jerk, I know)
    She'd even be seeded.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

If the Rogers Cup was to be cancelled this year, there was a question of which city would host the ATP tournament, and which would host the WTA tournament next year, as they alternate between Montreal and Toronto each year, with the WTA being in Montreal in even numbered years. Would they pick up where they left off, with Montreal hosting the WTA event in 2021, or would they keep with the yearly rotation and have Toronto host the WTA event in 2021, an odd numbered year, as originally scheduled.

The press release says that they will modify the yearly rotation and Montreal will have the WTA event in 2021, which they were scheduled to have this year.

I remember last year, when fans were crowding around David Goffin coming off a practice court at the Rogers Cup, and his coach Thomas Johansson was standing idly nearby, waiting for the autograph stuff to finish... I said to the fans, as I pointed to Johansson, "You guys should be asking this guy for his autograph, because he won this tournament in 1999." Johansson said to me "No, it was 1998." I said "No - it was 1999, because the men are here in odd numbered years - so you're not quite as old as you think." He laughed and said "Really? I always thought it was '98." I said "Nope - '99 - for sure."
    Then I asked him which year he won the Aussie Open. That, he knew - "2002."
    Still, no-one asked for his autograph...
    Last edited by Deuce*; 04-11-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152136 ... LastLast