Agree Agree:  109
Likes Likes:  72
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 318
  1. #61
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    261

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    It's hard to consider Ann Coulter a person, but here she downplaying the risk to young people.


    Ann Coulter
    @AnnCoulter

    Mar 24
    For people under 60, coronavirus is LESS dangerous than the seasonal flu:

    ^ The chart above shows COVID-19 to be less often fatal than the flu only for those under age 30.
    For those between 30 and 60, COVID-19 clearly has a higher fatality rate than the flu - as is also shown in the chart above.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

  2. #62

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    For those of us in the older age range, those statistics are alarmingly worse than seasonal flu. And, having followed how South Korea has dealt with the pandemic, I'm totally convinced they have been able to take better care of a large number of sick people than we are prepared to do here. So I am predicting that those 3 bars on the right will look even worse when the US statistics are reviewed a few months from now.

    GH

    P.S. I'm with Skatingfan on finding it very difficult to think of Ann Coulter as a person. I once read (after being all but forced to by a friend) a chapter from one of her books that dealt with the evil things gay people have done to society. This was probably written a good 10 years ago. To say that it was utterly despicable seems inadequate.

  3. #63

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    The problem with Ann Coulter is: she is blond and rather good looking, so that immediately gets the attention of people. Then, she presents her cases with numbers, which means you have to defeat them with numbers. Meaning that a lot of people will not understand how she doctors them to fit her narrative. She is evil, but no dumb, which makes it worse.
    The graph above shows exactly the opposite of what she meant. No worries. Most people will only read the heading, flip the sides and agree with her (if you like her).
    Last: look at the cover of her books. They all look like a fitness-guru cover.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  4. #64

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    I don't think they could hold Wimbledon anyway, but why did the AELTC rule out playing behind closed doors?
    Go Pack Go!

  5. #65
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    261

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    When the next Wimbledon is played - whenever that turns out to be - rather than all white, perhaps they could insist that all players wear all black, in honour of the victims of this destructive virus.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

  6. #66

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The problem with Ann Coulter is: she is blond and rather good looking, so that immediately gets the attention of people. Then, she presents her cases with numbers, which means you have to defeat them with numbers. Meaning that a lot of people will not understand how she doctors them to fit her narrative. She is evil, but no dumb, which makes it worse.
    The graph above shows exactly the opposite of what she meant. No worries. Most people will only read the heading, flip the sides and agree with her (if you like her).
    Last: look at the cover of her books. They all look like a fitness-guru cover.
    Well, blonde, at least, but I’m also not partial to succubi.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

  7. #67

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    For those of us in the older age range, those statistics are alarmingly worse than seasonal flu. And, having followed how South Korea has dealt with the pandemic, I'm totally convinced they have been able to take better care of a large number of sick people than we are prepared to do here. So I am predicting that those 3 bars on the right will look even worse when the US statistics are reviewed a few months from now.

    GH

    P.S. I'm with Skatingfan on finding it very difficult to think of Ann Coulter as a person. I once read (after being all but forced to by a friend) a chapter from one of her books that dealt with the evil things gay people have done to society. This was probably written a good 10 years ago. To say that it was utterly despicable seems inadequate.
    Hmm, one more reason to despise her. But really, she is only a symptom. If what she said didn't resonate with people, she would not be famous. What did she say about gay people? I guess I'll google it now.

    Kevin

  8. #68
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    omess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,728

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    I don't think they could hold Wimbledon anyway, but why did the AELTC rule out playing behind closed doors?
    May be because there will still be too many people on site ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #69

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Kevin, I have no idea what the title of the book was. But in case this helps: It was a book that probably had about 250 pages. And each chapter seemed to deal with yet another of the ultra-conservatives' favorite talking points. The gay-hating chapter was about the middle of the book and was maybe 10-12 pages long. It was absolutely loaded with vitriol. I was thinking about when I read it. It had to be the summer of 2012. It was during my Appalachian Trail hike when I was taking a couple of days off at a friend's house. He showed me a copy he had borrowed somewhere. So given the year, the book is now actually no less than 8 years old, but could easily have been a few years old when I read that chapter. GH

  10. #70

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Wimbledon 2020 to be cancelled on Wed
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

  11. #71
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    shtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    25,302

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    Wimbledon 2020 to be cancelled on Wed
    Pretty much expected.

    Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

  12. #72

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Indeed and there is no reason to squeeze in RG either two weeks after USO which by itself is also not a certainty.
    Roger forever

  13. #73

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    A full year off. So be it.
    I would like to see the governing bodies of tennis sitting down and use this time to fix the yearly calendar. Push the Aussie Open a bit later into the year, to avoid the Australian heat and give players a little extra time to prepare. Push the USO a bit later in the year and perhaps end the calendar year with it (Finals played a couple of weeks later).
    You have a lot to do, and now you have one year off. Use it wisely.
    (I know, pipe dreaming. But I have been as quarantined as you, so let me know if you are not starting to show cabin fever symptoms )
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  14. #74

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    I'm just assuming sports are cancelled for the rest of 2020 and if we get anything, tennis or otherwise, I'll just be happy about it. A depressing approach to many I'm sure, but better for me to go ahead and be realistic about this possibility and just be thrilled about it later if I'm wrong rather than be disappointed by every cancellation or delay. Unless antibody tests go wide and tell us more people already had this then we thought, I can't see a real way for ball handling in the various sports to be considered safe or stands to be even half full with fans anytime this year because herd immunity isn't quick and neither is developing a vaccine.

    The most I'm hoping for in the interim that seems like a legitimate possibility where tennis is concerned are exhibition matches between previously positive, now cleared patients like I hope Thiago will be.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 03-30-2020 at 09:16 AM.

  15. #75

    Re: Covid19 & Tennis

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I'm just assuming sports are cancelled for the rest of 2020 and if we get anything, tennis or otherwise, I'll just be happy about it. A depressing approach to many I'm sure, but better for me to go ahead and be realistic about this possibility and just be thrilled about it later if I'm wrong rather than be disappointed by every cancellation or delay. Unless antibody tests go wide and tell us more people already had this then we thought, I can't see a real way for ball handling in the various sports to be considered safe or stands to be even half full with fans anytime this year because herd immunity isn't quick and neither is developing a vaccine.

    The most I'm hoping for in the interim that seems like a legitimate possibility where tennis is concerned are exhibition matches between previously positive, now cleared patients like I hope Thiago will be.
    Sadly, they should be.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •