Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  4
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: BNP Paribas Open(IW) 3/9-3/22 2020

I'd be interested to know to what extent it was a tournament decision and to what State/local authority call.
    Roger forever

9 March 2020
    ATP STATEMENT ON CORONAVIRUS & BNP PARIBAS OPEN

ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi on the 2020 BNP Paribas Open not being held:

"While we regret that the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells will not take place, the ATP Tour calendar beyond Indian Wells remains as status quo. We continue to monitor the situation daily, working closely with our player and tournament members with the understanding that direction must be taken from local public health authorities. We are committed to exploring all options for the operation of upcoming tournaments as the health and safety of our players and all other stakeholders remain our top priority. Any further updates will be communicated on ATP platforms."

# # #

About The ATP

The ATP is the governing body of the men's professional tennis circuits — the ATP Tour, the ATP Challenger Tour and the ATP Champions Tour. With 64 tournaments in 30 countries, the ATP Tour showcases the finest male athletes competing in the world’s most exciting venues. From Australia to Europe and the Americas to Asia, the stars of the 2020 ATP Tour will battle for prestigious titles and FedEx ATP Rankings points at ATP Masters 1000, 500 and 250 events, as well as Grand Slams (non-ATP events). The 2020 season launched in January with the inaugural ATP Cup in Australia and will culminate with only the world’s top 8 qualified singles players and doubles teams competing for the last title of the season at the Nitto ATP Finals in November. Held at The O2 in London, the event will officially crown the 2020 ATP World No. 1. For more information, please visit www.ATPTour.com.

KTLA
    @KTLA
    BREAKING: 3 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Coachella Valley

by: Erika Martin

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 / 02:30 PM PDT / Updated: Mar 9, 2020 / 03:00 PM PDT

There are now four people being treated for the novel coronavirus in Riverside County, public health officials said Monday.

Officials believe three new cases announced Monday involve people who either traveled into “areas where COVID-19 has been confirmed” or came into contact with another known patient, Dr. Cameron Kaiser, the county’s public health office, said in a news release.

On Sunday, Kaiser confirmed the county’s first known case of community spread, and said that person is being treated at Eisenhower Health in Rancho Mirage. A countywide public health emergency was subsequently declared and is expected to be ratified Tuesday by the Board of Supervisors.

Later on Sunday, the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament set to kick off Monday in Indian Wells was canceled by organizers.

The move has many speculating whether the massive Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival — scheduled across two weekends in April — will be able to go ahead as scheduled. However, health officials on Monday told the Desert Sun they were still not pushing for that event or its counterpart, Stagecoach, to be canceled.

Another two Riverside County residents who were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship are being treated for COVID-19 in Northern California, public health officials say. They have not returned to Southern California since leaving the ship.

Elderly Coachella Valley residents and those with underlying health conditions should limit travel and avoid large gatherings, Kaiser said.

All members of the public should avoid public spaces and transportation when possible, and stay home if they’re at all sick, officials said.

However, Kaiser said Sunday that risk to the community remains low and urged residents not to panic.

“We want people to do the sensible things to protect themselves,” Michael Connors, infection prevention expert at Eisenhower Health, said in a news conference Sunday.

Health officials are now working to retrace the steps of the patient who contracted the virus in the local community, trying to determine how they contracted it and who else could have been exposed.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/3-n...chella-valley/
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Tennis would probably be one of the least weird sports to play without fans because the protocol is for fans to be quiet anyway... you could mic up the players... that would make it a little more interesting?

Trivial issue: so what happens to rankings? Do all players get all the points from last year dropped? Fed and Andrescuu were going to suffer big losses anyway, but what happens to the rest? Those that lost in the first round, no big deal. You made the semis and it is a different story.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's what's currently showing on the live rankings site: the points from last year's Indian Wells tournament have been subtracted off. So they show Andreescu as having dropped five spots (there's no change among the top players on the ATP side).

Of course, that's not an official site, so we would have to wait to see what the ATP and WTA tours say.

CBS Los Angeles
    @CBSLA
    #BREAKING: Riverside County health officials announced three new cases of coronavirus in the Coachella Valley. This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the county to six. https://cbsloc.al/2TAWxeb

Christopher Clarey @christophclarey

Day after tennis event in Indian Wells is canceled, Coachella Valley total of coronavirus cases up to six (from one)
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Christopher Clarey @christophclarey Singles qualifying and main draw players will get a week of complimentary accommodation in Indian Wells. Practice courts will be available during that time and other services on site. Will feel like the run-up to the tournament except this time there's no tournament
    So... in other words, the very MIXED message is:
    'We've cancelled the tournament for the safety of all players, officials, tournament workers, and fans, because this county is a very dangerous area to be in right now. As compensation of sorts, we invite all players to enjoy their stay in a lovely hotel within this very dangerous county for a full week - on us!'

Some rational reasoning on the COVID-19 panic:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/doctors-fa...150007495.html

Last edited by Deuce*; 03-10-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Sigh.

Re: Bouchard/Abanda

Bouchard was number 32 at the end of 2013, the year before her "fluke" year. Abanda has not reached the top 100 for even one week. As poor as Bouchard has been since 2014, I can not see any basis for stating that Abanda has had "an equal or better career". (In fact, last year was the first time Abanda was ever rated higher than Bouchard.) You can call that opinion, to me it's backed up by (ranking) numbers enough to be fact.
    ^ And I stated statistics - (yearly wins, winning percentage, etc.) which I believe showed that their respective careers have been pretty much equal. I also pointed out that Genie has benefited from playing in larger tournaments over much of the past 6 years - she has lost early in most of those tournaments, but even then, she was earning more points losing early in larger tournaments than Abanda was in going deeper in smaller tournaments. So much of it comes down to whether one thinks it's better to consistently lose early in larger tournaments, or go a couple of rounds deeper in smaller tournaments. I see it as being pretty equal - and that's why I say that if Genie's 2014 is not counted, their careers have been pretty much equal, even though Genie has had the higher rankings (until relatively recently).

Re: Andreescu

I will admit that I missed the "think" in your statement. I read it as a positive declaration. However, she has not missed five months in the current absence yet. Her last match was the end of October. When you wrote that, she was still looking to play Indian Wells, so it was only four months. Her previous long absence was in 2016, when she was not yet 16 years old. Which is not necessarily relevant to current injuries, depending on what it was. If it was an adductor injury, that could indicate a long-term problem (assuming it was similar to the problems she had last summer). If it was an ankle injury, and she's not had ankle problems since then, then I would no see that as adding to her future injury concern.
    Yes, I was aware of her as a junior. When I checked her history for injury absences, I had only looked back as far as 2017--she's played pretty consistently since then (since July of 2016) actually. I knew that she had lower back issues that affected her in the last half of 2018, but that didn't force her to miss a long time. I'm aware she's had a lot of different issues over the last year and a half. I'm not mad about people pointing that out. I'm concerned about the frequency too. I also don't want people exaggerating them.
    ^ When I wrote my post that you 'challenged', I knew that Bianca would not be playing Indian Wells. So, to me, her layoff is 5 months - and counting. I doubt very much she'll play Miami - and if she does, look for her to retire at some point along the way.
    My point was, and is still, that Bianca has a long history and reputation of being very injury prone, when compared to the great majority of other players. You can try to 'spin' it however you want - that if injuries are unrelated to each other, it shouldn't really count toward a reputation of being injury prone, which seems to be what you're saying... but I completely disagree. Repeated injuries over the course of several years - whether to the same or to entirely different areas of the body - indicates quite clearly that the individual is much more fragile than average.
    At this point, I don't see Andreescu as being able to have anywhere near a normal tennis career. I don't think that her obviously fragile body will suddenly and miraculously gain unexpected strength.

On a less combative note, (since you seem very well versed on Canadian tennis and juniors) whatever happened to Canada's top junior girl before Bianca, Charlotte Millette-Robillard? The last time I tried to look her up, it seemed she had stopped playing. What happened? Injury? Lack of success.
    ^ I honestly have not followed her much. I saw her a bit as a Junior, but her professional career hasn't panned out as well as some initially expected. I don't know if it's because of injuries or due to other factors. I think she's playing low level tournaments now, and has to qualify for them. I see that she retired from her most recent match a few days ago after losing 9 straight games.
    She's still young - only 21 years old -, so she still has a chance to put things together and fulfill at least some of the potential that people saw in her as a Junior.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 03-10-2020 at 12:14 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Just saw a wonderful commercial for the tournament on ESPN.

Oops. Wonder how many more will air.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Just saw a wonderful commercial for the tournament on ESPN.

Oops. Wonder how many more will air.
    Maybe the coverage will be like those YouTube videos that claim to highlight videos - use the computer game to simulate the matches. Maybe electronic sports really are the future.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345