Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: BNP Paribas Open(IW) 3/9-3/22 2020

It would be odd for the players, but play it with no crowds. At least that way we get TV. And not all the money is lost.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    They're cancelling it after just one confirmed case in the area? Wow. I'm all for caution but that seems like overkill. California as a whole can't be what you go on because of the size, even Riverside County as a whole is not a good measure to go by because it is rather large.
    Yes, I wonder what else is behind this. As you said, only one case in the area, and there are lots of large sports events still occurring elsewhere in the state, where there have been more cases.

Why would they declare a state of emergency in the county for one case? My theory is it's because the local health authorities want the large events to be cancelled. A basketball game in Los Angeles is, relatively speaking, a local event. But the Palm Springs/Indian Wells area does not have a large population. The attendance at Indian Wells is predominantly made up of sports tourists--thousands of people are coming from all around the US, Canada and the world. And they don't want any of these people to inadvertently bring the virus with them and then disperse it back to all their home areas.

Surely Coachella will be cancelled shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    It's definitely a bit much to me. I get trying to stop the pandemic, I really do, but then why this but not that? The Lakers and Clippers played today at the Staples Center and that sure as heck went off without a hitch. No mention of it being cancelled. That's about 18-20k people there. Either the Lakers or Clippers will play there again on Tuesday, not cancelled. That's more why this seems like a bit of a stretch because LA County definitely has a good deal more confirmed cases than the Coachella Valley has.

Is it about not wanting to stop once it starts? Being reticent about where we're going to be in another 14 days? That would make more sense, but then the statement should really have mentioned that part. They have generously offering full refunds for at least 2 weeks so there was already going to be a reduced crowd. They were taking steps to make it safer for everyone. Without Coachella Valley being a more problematic community spread area, I find this move surprising.

And also seriously unfortunate for players and fans who have already traveled to the area. A big financial hit, especially for lower ranked players.
    As far as we know, it went off without a hitch. Of course, there is no real verification of that until people get ill 1-2 weeks later.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Jamie Murray @jamie_murray

Doesn’t bode well for the tour if IW cancelled for 1 confirmed case in Coachella Valley. Broward county (Miami Open home) has more confirmed cases. Monte Carlo borders northern Italy currently in lockdown. Rome Masters? French Open? Wimbledon?!!!
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

diego schwartzman @dieschwartzman

Estaría bueno que @atptour comunique un poco mejor a los jugadores de una suspensión de semejante torneo cuando estamos todos acá... enterarse por redes sociales o whats app es bastante flojo.

Translation: It would be nice if @atptour communicate a bit better to the players of a suspension of such a tournament when we are all here ... finding out about social networks or whats app is quite lazy.

Rafa Nadal @RafaelNadal

You probably all heard the news. Indian Wells cancelled. We are here and still deciding what’s next. So sad for all that is happening around the world with this situation. Hopefully soon solutions from the authorities. Stay all well and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    As far as we know, it went off without a hitch. Of course, there is no real verification of that until people get ill 1-2 weeks later.
    Of course. But that's the same for all the sporting events that are still taking place.

I don't think this cancellation is an indication of what other tournaments will do, because unless I'm missing something, it seems that BNP Paribas, Larry Ellison, and Tommy Haas didn't make this call and would have carried on with the precautions they announced. CA and Riverside County Health Departments made this call.

I think it will not be tournaments call. Hard to see Italian Open being held, for example.
    Roger forever

Simon Cambers @scambers73
    Doubtless a sensible decision to cancel the @BNPPARIBASOPEN but for freelancers, in particular, this is going to be a big financial hit, especially as it is likely to be the first cancellation of many

Christopher Clarey @christophclarey Singles qualifying and main draw players will get a week of complimentary accommodation in Indian Wells. Practice courts will be available during that time and other services on site. Will feel like the run-up to the tournament except this time there's no tournament

The Roland Garros organizers have to be worried too. There's currently a ban on any gathering above 1000 people. It was 5000, and was just lowered. A couple of big sporting events have been moved to October (a rugby match and a marathon).

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think it will not be tournaments call. Hard to see Italian Open being held, for example.
    Agree on the who makes the call. I'd say there's a chance for the Italian Open to be held, but only because it's in mid May and no other reason beyond that. If it was around the time of Monte Carlo, I don't see a chance at all. If Italy can figure out a way to get on the South Korean trajectory in the next couple of weeks, there's an outside chance for it. That seems like a pipe dream right now for them, but same could've been said for SK just 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    The Roland Garros organizers have to be worried too. There's currently a ban on any gathering above 1000 people. It was 5000, and was just lowered. A couple of big sporting events have been moved to October (a rugby match and a marathon).
    IW is very open to rescheduling the tournament, that was part of the statement, so there is that. But in an Olympic year in particular, it's hard to see how they will be able to fit it in the calendar.

BUT, we're in unprecedented waters right now. We don't know which areas will be more concerning and where will be better at what time, you know? Maybe the Coachella Valley will be great and given the all clear by the time June rolls around and Great Britain won't be and they can hold IW during the traditional grass season. I'm guessing not much is off the table right now with so many uncertainties.

Has there been a major tennis tournament (Masters level or above) canceled since the end of WWII?
    Roger forever

I think the over-caution with Indian Wells is partially due to the large retirement population and the fact that the infection tends to hit harder in older people, especially who may have other underlying health conditions.

A friend of mine used to work at the school in RI that had several infected after a school trip over the winter break to Italy. The adult had a lung condition and was in the hospital on life support. He apparently caught it from the tour bus driver as he was using the same microphone on the bus. He is now off life support, but it does show the seriousness for this type of population. The students who tested positive quarantined at home and have recovered.
    My Happy Place

I think you're absolutely correct. But I really think the tournament could've done a much better job explaining the thought process behind the decision and why they waited the night before qualifying to make the call when most players were already in town or in route to the tournament.

A more detailed statement would've gone a long way in my mind. Players are understandably feeling blindsided by the news but just going through why it took them so long and why this couldn't be done on say, Friday, would likely get more players and media on their side.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 03-09-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast