Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WTA Int'l Monterrey, Lyon 3/2 - 3/8 2020

Leylah Annie Fernandez vs Sloane Stephens is about to begin.
    No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up. Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Konta was also winless so far this year. In fact, this was her first win at a WTA event (non-major) since June.
    I don't consider that the same at all since Johanna has been struggling with an injury, which is why she didn't play the rest of the season after the US Open.

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, MARCH 05, 2020 Lyon

CENTRAL start 12:00 noon

[8] V. Kuzmova (SVK)
    vs T. Martincova (CZE)
    [7] [WC] D. Kasatkina (RUS) vs [Q] I. Bara (ROU)
    [1] S. Kenin (USA) vs [Q] J. Cristian (ROU)

Not Before 6:30 pm
    A. Friedsam (GER) vs [2] K. Mladenovic (FRA)
    [5] [PR] V. Lapko (BLR) / L. Marozava (BLR) vs M. Kostyuk (UKR) / V. Kuzmova (SVK)

COURT 1 start 2:00 pm

L. Pattinama Kerkhove (NED) / B. Schoofs (NED) vs [2] A. Krunic (SRB) / K. Srebotnik (SLO)

Not Before 3:30 pm
    [4] A. Mitu (ROU) / R. Olaru (ROU)
    vs V. Diatchenko (RUS) / N. Dzalamidze (RUS)

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Leylah Annie Fernandez vs Sloane Stephens is about to begin.
    ^ ... and now, it's finished.
    Leylah won in 3 sets - lost the tiebreak, then 3 and 3.

I've believed in this kid for the past 2 years. But even I didn't think she'd be doing this well this soon. Neither did anyone else (very likely including her coaches and family). But Leylah believed - and that's all that matters.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Right now I'm obsessed with. her. Charlie, will she be ranked high enough to get into the MD at IW and/or Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Right now I'm obsessed with. her. Charlie, will she be ranked high enough to get into the MD at IW and/or Miami?
    Remember that those rankings are from 6 weeks before the tournament. She just jumped up from around 190, so she'll be lucky to get into qualies.

She'll get into qualies for all the big clay tournaments, and she only needs a win or two to get into the French Open main draw. She's defending practically nothing until around Wimbledon time, when she had some good Futures results last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Remember that those rankings are from 6 weeks before the tournament. She just jumped up from around 190, so she'll be lucky to get into qualies.

She'll get into qualies for all the big clay tournaments, and she only needs a win or two to get into the French Open main draw. She's defending practically nothing until around Wimbledon time, when she had some good Futures results last year.
    Yes, Leylah had some good results last summer in Challengers (not Futures) - a win, a Final, and a Semi - in progressively larger Challengers (all in Canada).

She was #126 going into Monterrey. Assuming her run will come to an end in her next match, which will likely be vs. Svotolina, she'll be a bit closer to #100. Keep in mind that cracking the top 100 was her aim for the end of this year. And right now, maybe the smart money would even be on Leylah if she plays Svitolina...

In any case, I don't see her ranking getting her into the Main draw at Indian Wells or Miami unless there's a massive COVID-19 outbreak among players... but, given the way she's been playing, and the attention she's been getting, a wildcard would be a possibility in both events. Sadly, wildcards are rarely given on merit - they are often given to hometown (or home country) players - or worse, depend on if the bean counters figure the player's name will sell extra tickets or not.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 03-04-2020 at 08:50 PM.

IMG has a reciprocal agreement with Tennis Canada - a wildcard in the men's Rogers Cup event for a wild card in the Miami women's event - so that would be a strong possibility for Fernandez.

They can give her a wild card at IW too, they like to showcase up and comers. That doesn't seem like a stretch. And it's looking like they'll be down a Canadian anyway...
    Last edited by JazzNU; 03-04-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    IMG has a reciprocal agreement with Tennis Canada - a wildcard in the men's Rogers Cup event for a wild card in the Miami women's event - so that would be a strong possibility for Fernandez.
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    They can give her a wild card at IW too, they like to showcase up and comers. That doesn't seem like a stretch. And it's looking like they'll be down a Canadian anyway...
    ^ ^ Hopefully both tournaments will deem Leylah as being able to sell more tickets than Genie - although that's a tough one, because I think Genie's name is still more well known than Leylah's (not necessarily for the right reasons).

On the other hand, if they give a wildcard to Genie and not to Leylah, I'm sure several people would call them on it.

Stephens still seems at least 15 lbs. heavier than she was when she was playing well - and, not surprisingly, is not moving as fluidly on the court.
    Is she another case of finding fame and popularity more important than trying to win tennis matches?

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Its interesting to see these conversations about Fernandez. As a Brit, all I know about her is that she recently lost to Watson (which is no recommendation!) Ill make a note to start watching her now if I can, she does sound like someone Id want to get behind. Barring any Corona virus disruption, Im planning on attending various events in the European swing so hopefully I can watch her play live at some point

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, MARCH 05, 2020

ESTADIO GNP SEGUROS start 11:00 am

T. Zidansek (SLO) vs A. Potapova (RUS)

Not Before 12:30 pm
    ATP MATCH

Not Before 3:00 pm
    T. Maria (GER) vs [2] J. Konta (GBR)
    ATP MATCH

Not Before 7:00 pm
    [10] L. Davis (USA)
    vs A. Rus (NED)
    [1] E. Svitolina (UKR) vs [Q] O. Govortsova (BLR)

CANCHA 1 start 11:00 am

ATP MATCH
    ATP MATCH

Not Before 2:30 pm
    ATP MATCH
    ATP MATCH

Not Before 5:00 pm
    [PR] K. Bondarenko (UKR) / S. Fichman (CAN) vs [2] D. Krawczyk (USA) / G. Olmos (MEX)
    ATP MATCH

CANCHA 4 start 11:00 am

ATP MATCH
    ATP MATCH

Not Before 2:30 pm
    [1] G. Garcia Perez (ESP) / S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP)
    vs M. Kato (JPN) / Y. Wang (CHN)
    [3] E. Perez (AUS) / S. Sanders (AUS) vs I. Neel (USA) / S. Santamaria (USA)

ATP MATCH

During his last OCC session Kamau Murray gave Sloane some hints about how to neutralize Fernandez including not to go cross court. He also pleaded with her "you have to compete".

She ignored everything he said.

I read all the posts here by people frustrated with Venus but at least she's trying despite age and injuries. I would feel sorry for Kamau but he made his bed.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    It’s interesting to see these conversations about Fernandez. As a Brit, all I know about her is that she recently lost to Watson (which is no recommendation!) I’ll make a note to start watching her now if I can, she does sound like someone I’d want to get behind. Barring any Corona virus disruption, I’m planning on attending various events in the European swing so hopefully I can watch her play live at some point
    Going into that tournament, she was barely in the top 200, 17 years old, and had to qualify for the tournament. It was a good effort in the final regardless of the opponent.

With that being said, someone woke Heather Watson up with smelling salts. She played really really well. Very smart, composed points. I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing when I watched the highlights.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast