Agree Agree:  45
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Maria Sharapova Has Retired

Maria Sharapova has announced her retirement via essay on both Vanity Fair and Vogue.

The essay is lengthy, so will post a link instead of the entire thing. Identical essay on both sites.

Vanity Fair link
    Vogue link

She posted a short message on IG, which is the end of the essay she penned for the magazines.

Tennis showed me the world—and it showed me what I was made of. It’s how I tested myself and how I measured my growth. And so in whatever I might choose for my next chapter, my next mountain, I’ll still be pushing. I’ll still be climbing. I’ll still be growing.

Tennis—I’m saying goodbye.

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Bye

Something about Felicia?

Seriuos. She won 5 Slams. That's her record and a fact. How many of those were thanks to the meldonium, how many were real? Does she make the HOF with that stain on her record?
    I certainly won't miss her, as I always thought she was a cheater with the grunting (and then the meldonium). But she was a huge draw for the WTA. So I guess her sponsors will miss her.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

This announcement seemed very likely to be coming, but truly not clear on why her and her coach went out of their way to explain how she was completely healthy at the Aussie Open and would be able to be back to playing regularly this year.

I think Maria will be one of those players who keeps several of her major sponsors in retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Something about Felicia?

Seriuos. She won 5 Slams. That's her record and a fact. How many of those were thanks to the meldonium, how many were real? Does she make the HOF with that stain on her record?
    I certainly won't miss her, as I always thought she was a cheater with the grunting (and then the meldonium). But she was a huge draw for the WTA. So I guess her sponsors will miss her.
    I'm not a fan, but the fact that Meldonium was perfectly legal when she obtained her Slams does nothing to tarnish them IMO.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I can only speak for myself, but the argument "It was technically ok to take that PED then" seems disingenuous. It should be a factor, sorry.
    I disapprove of this message

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Sharapova has retired. Probably needs its own thread for our collective disses.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

Her game was terrible to watch, but she was a fierce competitor.

She was beautiful on the outside, but not so much on the inside.

She had fans the world over, but hardly any friends or close relationships on tour.

The game gave her a lot, doesn't appear she gave much back.

She presented herself as a person of honor and integrity, but never listed Meldonium on the list of 'medications' she was taking prior to being caught.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Her lack of results after the ban says it all.

NEWS RELEASE
    February 26, 2020

WTA CELEBRATES STORIED CAREER OF TENNIS SUPERSTAR MARIA SHARAPOVA

International sports icon calls time on a stellar career which saw her ascend to World No.1 and capture a prestigious career Grand Slam
    Russian star’s popularity transcended tennis and attracted countless new fans to the sport

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) today paid tribute to Maria Sharapova after the Russian star announced her retirement from professional tennis, having firmly established herself as one of the sport’s all-time greats.

After winning her first WTA title at Tokyo [Japan Open] in 2003, Sharapova etched her name into the history books at Wimbledon in 2004 when, at only 17, she defeated Serena Williams to become the first Russian champion at the All England Club. Later that same year she overcame Serena again to become the first from her country to win the WTA Finals season finale, and by the following summer had become the first Russian woman to achieve the WTA World No.1 ranking.

Following victories at the US Open in 2006 and the Australian Open in 2008, Sharapova completed her career Grand Slam at Roland Garros in 2012 – the sixth woman in the Open Era to achieve the feat, and the 10th all-time. That victory in Paris also saw her reclaim the No.1 ranking for a fifth time.

Sharapova was triumphant at Roland Garros again in 2014, and captured at least one title every year from 2003-2015, including notable wins at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells (2006, 2013), the Mutua Madrid Open (2014) and the China Open at Beijing (2015). She also won the silver medal at the London Olympics in 2012.

Later in her career she enjoyed particular success on clay; in addition to her two Roland Garros titles and victory at Madrid she won the Internazionali BNL d’Italia (Rome) three times (2011-12, 2015) and enjoyed a hat-trick of titles at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart (2012-14).

All-told, Sharapova’s consistency and longevity produced nine Top 5 ranking finishes, and 10 seasons inside the Top 10 overall. She steps away from the game with 36 singles titles, a win-loss record of 645-171 (.790) and total prize money earnings of $38,777,962.

“I congratulate Maria on her outstanding career in professional tennis,” said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman and CEO. “Her achievements of a career Grand Slam, winner of 36 WTA titles and reaching the coveted No.1 ranking reflect her deep dedication and passion for the game. She will be greatly missed by her millions of fans around the world, but I know this will also mark an exciting new beginning for Maria as she now focuses on her many business ventures, charitable activities and other outside interests. I look forward to following her successes in the years to come as she steps away as a true champion of our sport.”

Maria Sharapova – key statistics and notable achievements:

Spent 21 weeks as WTA World No.1 – First ascended to top spot week of August 22, 2005. At 18 years 125 days, remains the fifth youngest woman to reach No.1 (after Hingis, Seles, Austin and Graf)
    Posted 10 Top 10 season finishes – 2004-08, 2011-15 (including nine Top 5 finishes)
    Winner of 36 singles titles from 59 finals – Third among active players for titles (behind S.Williams and V.Williams) and 15th on Open Era list; also won three doubles titles
    Won at least one singles title 13 years straight from 2003 until 2015, a streak only bettered by Graf, Navratilova and Evert
    Five-time Grand Slam champion from 10 major finals – 2004 Wimbledon (d. S.Williams in F), 2006 US Open, 2008 Australian Open (d. Ivanovic in F), 2012 Roland Garros (d. Errani in F to complete career Grand Slam), 2014 Roland Garros (d. Halep in F); victory at Wimbledon made her the second Russian woman to win a Grand Slam title, after Myskina at 2004 Roland Garros
    WTA Finals singles champion – Won event on debut at Los Angeles in 2004 (d. S.Williams in F); qualified for the season finale on nine occasions and was also a two-time runner-up (2007, 2012)
    Olympic silver medalist – London 2012 (l. S.Williams in F)
    Posted 98 wins over Top 10 opponents – Including seven wins over reigning No.1s. En route to winning the 2006 US Open title, defeated World No.1 Mauresmo in SF and World No.2 Henin in F
    Fed Cup highlights – Made debut for Russia in 2008 quarterfinal round with further nominations in 2011, 2012 and 2015 for a 7-1 singles record; went 2-0 vs. Czech Republic in 2015 final (tie won by Czechs, 3-2)
    Prize money of $38,777,962 – Third on all-time list (behind S.Williams and V.Williams)
    WTA Awards – Most Impressive Newcomer (2003), Most Improved Player (2004), Player of the Year (2004)
    Professional milestones – First pro event contested was ITF/Sarasota, FL-USA in 2001; made WTA main draw debut as a wild card at 2003 Indian Wells. Won final title at Tianjin Open in October 2017

Click here for a photo gallery of Sharapova's illustrious career.

I will play devil's advocate here. I don't think it was "only" the meldonium responsible for her lack of results after the ban. For Maria, because of her play style and because of her injuries, I think the ban in terms of time away from the game was at least as much of a factor, if not more. Some players can come back from time away. We're spoiled because some players have done that...see Serena after pregnancy...see Klijsters...etc. But I had doubts that Maria would be able to do the same.

Do I think she should make HOF? Yes. Do I admire her as much as other players? No.

For me, Maria was always defined as being this ultra fierce competitor, someone who would fight to the very last point of the match. Some of her greatest wins were comebacks when she appeared to be down and out. I especially think about the RG Final against Simona Halep and it makes me wonder quite a bit. Several athletes who have taken meldonium spoke about how it helped them and affects it has on the body, and the most common things are that it gives you more stamina and endurance.

And that's something I noticed Maria lacked in her return from suspension, less than her game being off was that she wasn't as "on" as she used to be at the late stages of a match, her stamina and endurance were indeed different. So Maria's career is forever tarnished to me because one of the key aspects and advantages of how I think of her as a tennis player is tainted.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

I don't really have much of an opinion on Sharapova one way or the other - I'm rather neutral about her.
    I will say that I never liked the grunting/screaming on every shot. She wasn't the first to bring that irritating element to tennis, however...

But making a retirement from tennis announcement through Vogue and Vanity Fair?? Seriously?!!?
    That's just completely absurd.

I liked sports much, much better when it stood on its own - before it became intertwined with business and entertainment.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

She wanted to make her announcement through the American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, but her managers deterred her...
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast