Agree Agree:  45
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70
  1. #31

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Articles on Sharapova's retirement and legacy are up in many places. They majority are surprisingly not fawning all over her the way many of them seemed to be doing in the last several years where they liked to pretend all too often that the "after she came back" was in reference to an injury not a suspension. Part of that seems to be that the silence from the tennis world after her announcement has been rather deafening, so maybe they read the room and realized just praising her really doesn't sit well. When someone with Maria's caliber retires, there's usually an outpouring of well wishes and congratulations on their next chapter. For Maria, you don't have to scroll down too long to read the ones that were made about her.

  2. #32

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Has any active or retired player said anything about her retirement, other than Djokovic? Any WTA player saying anything along the lines of good wishes, you were great, have success in the next chapter, etc?
    I would say that Grigor would have called, but it seems no woman in the WTA is reaching out. That says a lot.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  3. #33

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Yes, but not many. Petra Kvitova posted something, but at least to me, it was kind of funny because she had just posted something about Carla Suarez Navarro and in contrast, though shorter, it seemed there was so much more genuine affection there. Amanda Anisimova posted something as well. Nastia Pavlyuchenkova posted some very nice things about her. Most heartfelt, understandably, was from Monica Puig. Maria helped with the Puerto Rican hurricane recovery efforts including going to PR and personally assisting Monica with some of her charitable efforts.

    I assume there are others that the article writers missed, but not a ton. A very easy comparison can be made to Caro Wozniacki's retirement and in contrast, there's very few WTA players who didn't wish her well and who doesn't have a photo and some kind words about her up from January.

  4. #34

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Sloane also posted something.

    For me, you could compare it to Henin's final retirement. A player known as being not too popular in the locker room retires out of nowhere.

    When there's at least some build up, or even "this will be my final tournament," then there's more time for players to be asked about it in interviews. With Sharapova, it's also been obvious for a while that she's done.

    I'm sort of intrigued that she didn't try to play Indian Wells and announce that it was her final tournament. It's clear that she's been planning the timing since the AO. It's no coincidence that her retirement announcement was two days before her episode of Shark Tank aired.

  5. #35

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    I don't find it similar because of the time in which Sharapova's happened. Maria's retirement may not have been planned and announced ahead of time similar to Henin, but social media exists now, and still very few have felt the need to congratulate her on her career and they don't need special interviews at a huge tournament to be asked about it. That isn't really how it happens now for most retirements now, people just regularly post on social media and few have.

    I didn't expect there to be an outpouring from all players, but I am surprised with how much silence there is. But I'm particularly shocked with how few Russians players have said much.

    Andrea Petkovic is another who said something. Wrote a whole essay on Maria.

  6. #36

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Her lack of results after the ban says it all.
    Could be that she was already well past her prime and had not played in a year plus. Thats almost like saying, "the fact Jordan didnt win anything with the wizards says it all." Which is to say, without having to directly compare the two athletes, complete idiot commentary.

  7. #37

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    I think we can get our point across without insulting.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  8. #38

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Quote Originally Posted by improbabledream View Post
    Could be that she was already well past her prime and had not played in a year plus. Thats almost like saying, "the fact Jordan didnt win anything with the wizards says it all." Which is to say, without having to directly compare the two athletes, complete idiot commentary.
    Since you started.
    Your comparison makes no sense. Jordan was never suspended for the use of PED's. And when he took two years off to go play baseball and returned, he did was Maria was not able to: he won three more rings. So Jordan is indeed an example of exactly the opposite of what happened to Maria. He took a break, did something else, and came back as before. Winning championships.
    In Maria's case, her three set record, which was sterling when ingesting meldonium, was putrid after coming back sans the drug. Nobody was expecting her to beat Serena, which she was really not built to do, but look at Williams and you can see another example in favor of the hypothesis that Maria's greatness was largely chemically induced. Serena has never been suspended for use of PED's, but took a long hiatus during her pregnancy, which had complications. And then came back and (correct me if I am wrong) made 4 slam finals, while remaining a true contender on the tour. Sure, by her standards, a drop. But the point is that a sufficiently large number of players have taken breaks from the sport (add Clijsters) and come back to decent results.
    Maria did not. So, for those of us with the idiotic opinion that her 5 slams need a little asterisk next to them, all we say is: show me YOUR data. Make an argument. Don't simply dismiss our statement as if you are some oracle.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  9. #39

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Since you started.
    Your comparison makes no sense. Jordan was never suspended for the use of PED's. And when he took two years off to go play baseball and returned, he did was Maria was not able to: he won three more rings. So Jordan is indeed an example of exactly the opposite of what happened to Maria. He took a break, did something else, and came back as before. Winning championships.
    In Maria's case, her three set record, which was sterling when ingesting meldonium, was putrid after coming back sans the drug. Nobody was expecting her to beat Serena, which she was really not built to do, but look at Williams and you can see another example in favor of the hypothesis that Maria's greatness was largely chemically induced. Serena has never been suspended for use of PED's, but took a long hiatus during her pregnancy, which had complications. And then came back and (correct me if I am wrong) made 4 slam finals, while remaining a true contender on the tour. Sure, by her standards, a drop. But the point is that a sufficiently large number of players have taken breaks from the sport (add Clijsters) and come back to decent results.
    Maria did not. So, for those of us with the idiotic opinion that her 5 slams need a little asterisk next to them, all we say is: show me YOUR data. Make an argument. Don't simply dismiss our statement as if you are some oracle.
    WOW. First of all, I was not expecting that level of animus to what i thought was a fairly innocous comment, but, as you have ceded the floor, allow me to explain, even without the torrent of data you demanded, why you are wrong.
    I wasnt talking about jordans "retirement" in the mid 90s, though most people attribute that to an unspoken suspension for gambling (not sure if you knew that) he was still in his prime. Maria, having been a pro since she was a teenager, was suspended and had all that time off... when she was 30! Now, im not sure if you knew this either, there was a time that was considered to be very old for a tennis player. This was the crux of my point. I dont even like her. I never have! But you seem to have some kind of of obsessive hatred i guess. How do you know what is in the medicine cabinet of the athletes you most admire? They were never caught, so you dont know, and of course they were taking something. You have no idea how much that drug benefitted her career. I would bet her suspension was the first you ever heard of meldonium. Its the same as tylenol for all you know (of course you will go on google now to try to validate your bias.) Im not going to try to diminish her acheivments, because I am not petty and small like that.

  10. #40
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

    liam_valid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,146

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    I neither love nor loathe Maria, but I tend to cut her the slack. I really don’t imagine she’d have ever won another slam if melodonium wasn’t banned, and the 5 slams she did, she won while taking a legal substance. Her suspension from tour was the right thing for taking it after it was banned, but there’s no need for asterisks next to her slam titles that she won using a LEGAL substance, as there is absolutely no way of knowing if she ever won those titles because of the drug or in spite of it. She’s gone now, let her rest in peace

  11. #41

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Quote Originally Posted by improbabledream View Post
    WOW. First of all, I was not expecting that level of animus to what i thought was a fairly innocous comment, but, as you have ceded the floor, allow me to explain, even without the torrent of data you demanded, why you are wrong.
    I wasnt talking about jordans "retirement" in the mid 90s, though most people attribute that to an unspoken suspension for gambling (not sure if you knew that) he was still in his prime. Maria, having been a pro since she was a teenager, was suspended and had all that time off... when she was 30! Now, im not sure if you knew this either, there was a time that was considered to be very old for a tennis player. This was the crux of my point. I dont even like her. I never have! But you seem to have some kind of of obsessive hatred i guess. How do you know what is in the medicine cabinet of the athletes you most admire? They were never caught, so you dont know, and of course they were taking something. You have no idea how much that drug benefitted her career. I would bet her suspension was the first you ever heard of meldonium. Its the same as tylenol for all you know (of course you will go on google now to try to validate your bias.) Im not going to try to diminish her acheivments, because I am not petty and small like that.
    Improbable, if your consider "fairly innocuous" a post that states that another member's opinion is a "complete idiot commentary", I really don't want to be on the receiving end of your comments the day you decide to go scorched earth on somebody.
    Yes, I know about the "Jordan Gambling" suspension. Not proven. Possible? Sure. But until you come up with some investigation breakthrough that proves he was gambling, why bring it up? You can also bring up the repeated innuendoes aimed at Rafa about his doping. Just make sure you are right because remember what happened to that French Federation official.
    Nobody knows what is in the cabinet of our favorite athletes. What WADA wants to know is what is in the BLOOD of our favorite athletes. But in my BOLD section of your post, it seems that you imply that ALL players that have achieved something have done it through chemical advancement and have simply not been caught. That is quite the statement.
    You close your second post with a claim that you do not want to diminish her achievements because you are not "petty and small like that". Yet you went through this dormant thread, picked up a post from late February, replied with an insulting post that diminished that TAT'er, and now want to claim you are not being petty and small. Well, it is good you are not trying to be. Because this time, you failed.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 04-20-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: removed sarcasm
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  12. #42

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I neither love nor loathe Maria, but I tend to cut her the slack. I really don’t imagine she’d have ever won another slam if melodonium wasn’t banned, and the 5 slams she did, she won while taking a legal substance. Her suspension from tour was the right thing for taking it after it was banned, but there’s no need for asterisks next to her slam titles that she won using a LEGAL substance, as there is absolutely no way of knowing if she ever won those titles because of the drug or in spite of it. She’s gone now, let her rest in peace
    Just wanted to say I agree fully and I've been saying the same thing since day 1.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  13. #43

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Ponchi. Its good to hear from you and to soak up that comment because you are absolutely right in the sense that in my attempt to not be petty with my comment I FAILED. Very true. I thought you would be harder on me honestly. So it was a dormant thread... just so you know the subject matter or the age of the thread was not so relevant to me because I was starving for anything even halfway interesting to consume and respond to and I stumbled across that. So it was not dormant to me. I regret my tone, but I dont think there is anything in terms of subject matter that I would be prepared to retract. I believe the vast majority of professional athletes are probably on perfomance enhancing drugs. I dont think its an outrageous comment, honestly.

  14. #44

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    Fair enough.
    About your statement about all athletes being in PED's. A small story.
    I was friends with a Venezuelan player that played Davis Cup for the country. He was not good enough to go beyond Futures and Challengers but he was friends with the guys that did.
    One day, talking about Rafa (when Rafa was very young), we were speculating about whether indeed he was using PED's. Our friend said (roughly): "You don't get to be so big eating Corn Flakes. He is of course taking something. But everything he is taking is legal. He must have one guy that is dedicated solely to make sure everything he eats, drinks or pops is legal. Heck, he has one guy that makes sure he does not sleep on his left arm".
    Sure. They have a special "diet". That is for sure. But it has to be within the legal ingredients.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  15. #45

    Re: Maria Sharapova Has Retired

    If Pova's specal pills that only she and her father knew she was taking were legal why didn't she list them on the required anti doping paper work? Why did she have her team jump through hoops to find out if vitamin C was okay to take and not meldonium? For me this is the fatal flaw in her argument. No one but she and Yuri knew she was taking it.

    Also, everyone else who was taking it stopped when the warnings came out except her.

    When caught she admitted to taking it for ten years knowing full well that WADA doesn't keep records longer than that.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •