Agree Agree:  10
Likes Likes:  8
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. #61

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Abanda complained that she didn't get as much attention as Bouchard. It seemed like a odd thing to complain about given that Abanda had never been in the top 100 or achieved a fraction of what Bouchard had at any level.

  2. #62
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    221

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Abanda complained that she didn't get as much attention as Bouchard. It seemed like a odd thing to complain about given that Abanda had never been in the top 100 or achieved a fraction of what Bouchard had at any level.
    Actually, Francoise Abanda was very highly regarded as a Junior - more so than Genie was, I'd say.
    Abanda made it to the Junior Wimbledon Semis in 2012 at age 15, where she lost to Svitolina. Genie then beat Svitolina in the Final. But Genie was 3 years older than Abanda (and still is!).

    Abanda also played a little bit in the shadow of her older sister Elisabeth early on in Juniors, as Elisabeth was a top Junior for a while. Eventually, Francoise overtook Elisabeth.

    One could easily argue that, apart from the brief success that Genie had in 2014, Abanda's pro career has been equal to or better than Genie's.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

  3. #63
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    Martini4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ont.
    Posts
    5,408
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    One could easily argue that, apart from the brief success that Genie had in 2014, Abanda's pro career has been equal to or better than Genie's.
    That's really weak. Aside from her "brief success" in 2014, Bouchard was in the top 100 five other years. Yes, she's been a puzzle/huge disappointment since then, but there's absolutely no argument that Abanda's been better, or even equal.

  4. #64
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    221

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    That's really weak. Aside from her "brief success" in 2014, Bouchard was in the top 100 five other years. Yes, she's been a puzzle/huge disappointment since then, but there's absolutely no argument that Abanda's been better, or even equal.
    ^ I disagree.
    Abanda's ranking has often been the result of injuries.
    Genie's ranking has been in a free-fall for the past 5 years - currently at an embarrassing #327.
    Abanda's been injured about twice as often as Genie.

    What has Genie done (in tennis) since 2014?
    That 2014 was a fluke for Genie seems to be a rather universal perspective.

    The following was written a few years ago. Things are even worse for Genie now...

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tar-faded-for-

    (My favourite line from the above article is "Bouchard excels at tweeting, uploading Instagram photos and in magazine photo shoots. However, she's struggling at tennis, the sport that propelled her into the spotlight."
    Last edited by Deuce*; 03-03-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

  5. #65
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    Martini4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ont.
    Posts
    5,408
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Oh yes, Abanda's career has been cursed by injuries. I don't think she (or at least her serve) ever recovered from the shoulder injury she had early in her career.

    But her career HIGH ranking is 111. Bouchard's year-end rankings have been 32, 7, 48, 47, 81, 89 (and she's had a bunch of minor injuries too).

    I won't dispute what else you say about Bouchard, but she's still had a much better career.

  6. #66
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    221

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Oh yes, Abanda's career has been cursed by injuries. I don't think she (or at least her serve) ever recovered from the shoulder injury she had early in her career.

    But her career HIGH ranking is 111. Bouchard's year-end rankings have been 32, 7, 48, 47, 81, 89 (and she's had a bunch of minor injuries too).

    I won't dispute what else you say about Bouchard, but she's still had a much better career.
    ^ You forgot Genie's year-end rank of #215 in 2019.

    Rankings don't tell the entire story, though. Numbers can sometimes be deceiving.
    Since 2015 (inclusive), Abanda has won 2 tournaments to Genie's 0 (though Abanda has generally played lower level tournaments than has Genie through that period - but now they're playing about the same level events).
    In that same period, Abanda has won 85 matches to Genie's 80 - so, fairly even. Because of injuries, Abanda has played 154 matches in that period to Genie's 174 (because of photoshoot and modeling commitments, etc. outside of tennis). So Abanda's winning percentage since 2015 (inclusive) is .552, while Genie's is .460.
    Again, Genie has played higher level tournaments through most of that period than Abanda has - but Genie has often lost early in those tournaments, while Abanda has gone deeper in lower level tournaments.
    From this perspective, it looks pretty even to me.

    And context is important. Even saying that their respective Junior years were more or less equal, Genie hit the top 10 in 2014, with a Major Final, Semi-Final, etc. It was a good year, granted. Then other players learned how to play her, and her results deteriorated rapidly. And she became incredibly focused on 'being famous' and 'being a hot babe', and, in parallel, lost interest in tennis when she saw that she could be those things without playing good tennis. She learned that she could essentially fall into the Paris Hilton/Kardashian category of 'being famous for being famous'.

    In these combined respects, then, has Abanda been as successful in tennis, given the opportunities, injuries, etc. they have respectively had? I believe that is not out of the question.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 03-03-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

  7. #67

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Actually, Francoise Abanda was very highly regarded as a Junior - more so than Genie was, I'd say.
    Abanda made it to the Junior Wimbledon Semis in 2012 at age 15, where she lost to Svitolina. Genie then beat Svitolina in the Final. But Genie was 3 years older than Abanda (and still is!).

    Abanda also played a little bit in the shadow of her older sister Elisabeth early on in Juniors, as Elisabeth was a top Junior for a while. Eventually, Francoise overtook Elisabeth.

    One could easily argue that, apart from the brief success that Genie had in 2014, Abanda's pro career has been equal to or better than Genie's.
    I was talking about after their junior careers were over. This was the story from a couple years when Bouchard's results really fell off, but Abanda has not achieved the results in a high profile event that Bouchard has, or for that matter Andreescu or Fernandez.

    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/can...file-1.4666176

  8. #68
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    An unparallel universe
    Posts
    221

    Re: WTA Int'l ATP M500 Acapulco 2/24-2/29 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I was talking about after their junior careers were over. This was the story from a couple years when Bouchard's results really fell off, but Abanda has not achieved the results in a high profile event that Bouchard has, or for that matter Andreescu or Fernandez.

    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/can...file-1.4666176
    I think that Abanda's main problem has been wasting energy seeking excuses for not doing better in tennis instead of using that energy to simply... play better tennis.

    I wasn't going to mention her playing the 'race card', because I think she mostly uses it as a convenient excuse. As the article mentions, Felix is also black with a parent from another country. Both Felix and Francoise are from the same part of Canada. Felix has thrived, and never complained of a lack of opportunity...

    While I wouldn't for a second dispute Abanda's claim that she's experienced racism in tennis (as well as in other elements of life), she has a choice to either focus on that and use it as an excuse, or to overcome it and prove those people wrong. Sadly, she seems focused on the former, rather than concentrating on the latter.

    As far as comparing Abanda and Genie... Yes, it's true that Genie has done better (for essentially one year) in high profile tournaments. But overall, excluding Genie's 2014, as I mentioned above, I see their careers as being rather even.
    A player will often get more points losing early in larger events than one will get going deeper into smaller events. This worked to Genie's advantage - those points losing early in larger events basically allowed Genie to keep playing the larger events for a certain time, while Abanda was earning fewer points going deeper in smaller events.
    Eventually, Genie's luck ran out, and pretty much the only way she's been getting into the larger events the past couple of years would be with a wild card given to her simply because the tournament director feels that her name may still be well enough known to sell a few extra tickets - if only because of her 'social media' performances, not because of her tennis performances. But even that will cease shortly - even in Canada - if her tennis results don't improve significantly.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 03-03-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •