Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WTA P Dubai 2/17 - 2/22 2020

Meanwhile, dry's comment about sample collection terrified Brady so badly, she could only muster 2 games vs Halep
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Meanwhile, dry's comment about sample collection terrified Brady so badly, she could only muster 2 games vs Halep
    Which is a darn shame since she almost beat Halep last summer. With her playing better, thought it would at least be close. But maybe the long week caught up with her as well, since she did come thru qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Which is a darn shame since she almost beat Halep last summer. With her playing better, thought it would at least be close. But maybe the long week caught up with her as well, since she did come thru qualifying.
    They also just played at the AO, so Halep must have been hip to her new jazz already
    This is not the bouquet you toss

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2020

CENTRE COURT start 5:00 pm

[1] S. Hsieh (TPE) / B. Strycova (CZE)
    vs [5] B. Krejcikova (CZE) / S. Zheng (CHN)

Not Before 7:00 pm
    [1] S. Halep (ROU)
    vs E. Rybakina (KAZ)
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I've watched a fair bit of the action from Dubai. I think Rybakina has a chance against Halep. She is playing well. (I'd still bet on Halep if I were betting) GH

Rybakina got close, very close...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Rybakina got close, very close...
    She had several chances to break and take control of the match. She faltered at each one. That said I think she was annoyed enough to take that match as a huge learning experience. When you're playing a top player you have to beat them. From what I've seen of Rybakina I think she's learned her lesson. Hitting the ball hard is not enough.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I thought Halep played a scratchy match. Uncharacteristically gave away important points, hitting unforced errors on break points. Like she might have lost that first set anyway, but she should've broken back and then gone from there. That happened several times. When she broke and then got broken at love? Uncharacteristic enough that old muttering, gesturing mad Simona was back in the blink of an eye. It definitely felt like she was lucky to pull this one out. Especially because that net had it out for her.

How different this week might've been if the Jabeur match had been officiated differently.

I was impressed by Rybakina, happy to not see a bad scoreline against a top player again. But the jury is still out for me on anointing her.

Possible advantage for Rybakina in the future? She doesn't appear to sweat a ton. Simona's entire body was covered in a sheen of sweat, but Rybakina had like a mildly sweaty brow.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I thought Halep played a scratchy match. Uncharacteristically gave away important points, hitting unforced errors on break points. Like she might have lost that first set anyway, but she should've broken back and then gone from there. That happened several times. When she broke and then got broken at love? Uncharacteristic enough that old muttering, gesturing mad Simona was back in the blink of an eye. It definitely felt like she was lucky to pull this one out. Especially because that net had it out for her.

How different this week might've been if the Jabeur match had been officiated differently.

I was impressed by Rybakina, happy to not see a bad scoreline against a top player again. But the jury is still out for me on anointing her.

Possible advantage for Rybakina in the future? She doesn't appear to sweat a ton. Simona's entire body was covered in a sheen of sweat, but Rybakina had like a mildly sweaty brow.
    Agree

― Frank Zappa

Remind me of what happened when Halep played Jabeur
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Remind me of what happened when Halep played Jabeur
    During the TB there was a shot that seemed in. Halep had conceded the point but the chair decided that the point should be replayed.

― Frank Zappa

Hsien Su-wei and Barbora Strycova Doubles Champions\

― Frank Zappa

Simona Halep Singles Champion

Photos via @ DDFTennis

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    During the TB there was a shot that seemed in. Halep had conceded the point but the chair decided that the point should be replayed.
    But Jabeur ended up winning the point anyway and starting a run of three in a row that gave her match point on her own serve before she choked. I agree though that it was a terrible decision by the umpire on an overruled out-serve call when Halep had zero chance to get the ball back in play.

Today, I though Halep played a very poor first set and very well in the last two until she tried to serve it out. She got tight, and if Rybakina had not missed a return on a powder puff serve she should have crushed to set up two match points, she probably would have won. Halep is almost always up and down in her matches, but I did not notice one point where she lost focus because she was angry at herself.
    Last edited by jazzyg; 02-22-2020 at 11:25 PM.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Is Haleps grunt getting louder? I watched the third set, but the increasing noise coupled with her hideous outfit forced me to turn off during the tie break

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast