80 Carballes Baena, Roberto (ESP)
    81 Moutet, Corentin (FRA)
    85 Davidovich Fokina, Alejandro (ESP)
    87 Monteiro, Thiago (BRA)
    88 Mayer, Leonardo (ARG)
    WC Alcaraz, Carlos (ESP)
    WC Meligeni Alves, Felipe (BRA)
    WC Seyboth Wild, Thiago (BRA)
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Re: ATP M500 Rio 2/17 - 2/23 2020

Qualifying Draw

(1) Andrej Martin
    vs Filip Horansky
    (WC) Mateus De Carvalho Cardoso Alves vs (7) Pedro Martinez

(2) Attila Balazs vs (WC) Orlando Luz
    Andrea Collarini vs (5) Gianluca Mager

(3) Federico Coria vs Carlos Taberner
    (WC) Pedro Boscardin Dias vs (6) Jozef Kovalik

(4) Federico Gaio vs Joao Menezes
    Joao Domingues vs (8) Alessandro Giannessi
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

― Frank Zappa

Monday, February 17, 2020 Day 3

Quadra Guga Kuerten Starts At 4:30 Pm

Pablo Andujar VS (9) Fernando Verdasco
    Not Before 7:00 Pm
    Alejandro Davidovich Fokina VS (WC) Thiago Seyboth Wild
    Not Before 8:00 Pm
    (7) Albert Ramos-Vinolas
    VS (WC) Carlos Alcaraz

Quadra 1 Starts At 4:30 Pm

Andrej Martin VS (3) Cristian Garin
    Followed By
    Corentin Moutet VS (Q) Federico Coria
    Followed By
    (1) Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah
    VS (WC) Orlando Luz/Rafael Matos

Quadra 2 Starts At 4:30 Pm

Roberto Carballes Baena VS Federico Delbonis
    Followed By
    (Q) Pedro Martinez VS Hugo Dellien

Quadra 4 Starts At 4:30 Pm / After Suitable Rest

Salvatore Caruso/Federico Gaio VS (2) Attila Balazs/Fernando Romboli
    -

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Corentin Moutet VS (Q) Federico Coria
    The match fixing brother of Guillermo I believe. Didn't realize he was back to playing.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    The match fixing brother of Guillermo I believe. Didn't realize he was back to playing.
    I looked him up. I couldn't remember if he was the one who was a younger brother or a nephew.

Federico Coria is the younger brother of Guillermo.

Philipp Davydenko is the nephew of Nikolay.

Leo Borg is the son of Bjorn.

Federico Coria's ban wasn't for match fixing himself, it was for not reporting someone else. He was banned 4 months and $5,000 (the official ban is 10 months and 10k, with some of it suspended). That ended August 2018, so he's already had a full year back. He's currently around #120, so he's not too far off from slam main draws (usually #99-104). He's almost 28, so it's safe to say he won't be a French Open favorite anytime soon, but it's actually one of the better younger sibling careers I've seen in a while.

Thiem has a chance to overtake Federer for #3 at this tournament. I'm not positive, but I think he needs to make the semis. Even if he doesn't, Federer has to defend Dubai next week.

It might just zigzag right back when Thiem has to defend Indian Wells, but I think it would be notable if the top 3 stranglehold was broken, even for a few weeks.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Thiem has a chance to overtake Federer for #3 at this tournament. I'm not positive, but I think he needs to make the semis. Even if he doesn't, Federer has to defend Dubai next week.

It might just zigzag right back when Thiem has to defend Indian Wells, but I think it would be notable if the top 3 stranglehold was broken, even for a few weeks.
    But Fed has to defend finals points at Indian Wells, so not a done deal it will zigzag I would think. Is winning and losing a 500 point difference? But even if it doesn't happen in the next month, it feels like it'll be in the next few months. Plus sounds like Rog is playing IW, Miami, and then RG, so he gives plenty of time to get passed.

Did anyone else see the match with Alcaraz? I was so impressed by his mental strength. He was up in the 2nd, started playing poorly and lost it, was down 0-3 and I think 0-40 on serve, somehow held and went to 5-3, had two match points receiving, had an easy forehand that he tried a drop shot on on match point, blew it, lost the game, got broken serving for the match, and ended up winning the 3rd set tie break very easily, as he did in the first. Mentally, he was super super strong. I was impressed.

As an aside, why do they start matches so late? Do the players have any say, or maybe they don't care? It must have started after 11 PM Rio time.

Kevin

16 year old Alcarez beating #41 ranked and experienced pro AlbertRamos is a massive win

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    Did anyone else see the match with Alcaraz? I was so impressed by his mental strength. He was up in the 2nd, started playing poorly and lost it, was down 0-3 and I think 0-40 on serve, somehow held and went to 5-3, had two match points receiving, had an easy forehand that he tried a drop shot on on match point, blew it, lost the game, got broken serving for the match, and ended up winning the 3rd set tie break very easily, as he did in the first. Mentally, he was super super strong. I was impressed.

As an aside, why do they start matches so late? Do the players have any say, or maybe they don't care? It must have started after 11 PM Rio time.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by pingponger View Post
    16 year old Alcarez beating #41 ranked and experienced pro AlbertRamos is a massive win
    I've never heard of him before. I looked up a few highlights from his win. He is seriously impressive. His game is way too fully formed for 16.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Wow that’s a highlight reel even Rafa would be proud of. Will definitely be looking out for this name in future

Meanwhile Felipe Meligeni Rodrigues Alves just took a set from Dominic Thiem.

Thiem, who was not happy, is now up 3-0 in the third set maybe. They're using the Foxtenn system on the clay and he is up 3-0.

― Frank Zappa

Uh, y'all didn't say Alcaraz is coached by Juanqui.

Watching the replay on TennisTV

― Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast