Likes Likes:  790
Page 265 of 265 FirstFirst ... 15165215240255261262263264265
Results 3,961 to 3,963 of 3963
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    DOWN SYNDROME A new paper from the Annals of Internal Medicine aimed to assess the mortality risk of COVID-19 in individuals with Down syndrome. The study examined over 8 million individuals from the UK using a population-level primary care database, 4,053 of whom had Down syndrome. After adjusting for key demographic variables, the researchers estimated that individuals with Down Syndrome had a 4-fold increase of COVID-19 hospitalization and a 10-fold increase of death. The researchers emphasize that this estimated association between Down syndrome and COVID-19 is not a claim of a causal relationship, but argue that they warrant further investigation. Down syndrome is not currently listed as a COVID-19 risk factor within the United Kingdom or United States.

https://covid19.who.int/
    Is that adjusted for the already elevated prevalence of health complications associated with Down? Are they saying just Down Syndrome itself, if someone has Down Syndrome but none of the commonly associated health conditions (like heart defects), they're still that much more affected?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    There are still over 60 days in the year. Assume that the US keeps a daily tally of 700 deaths a day. Make it easy: 60 x 700 = 42,000.
    Add that to the 224,000 already dead.
    The WORST case scenario given in March was "between 100,000 and 250,000" deaths for the year. This would make it 266,000. Above those figures.
    Whatever. The person occupying the WH, the titular head of government, is bored with talk of the virus that is killing citizens of his country in the thousands. Isn't it time to just move on?

/sarcasm
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Is that adjusted for the already elevated prevalence of health complications associated with Down? Are they saying just Down Syndrome itself, if someone has Down Syndrome but none of the commonly associated health conditions (like heart defects), they're still that much more affected?
    I'm not sure, but from my understanding they don't have a full analysis statistically of why this might be the case, so I don't think there is an answer to that question.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Page 265 of 265 FirstFirst ... 15165215240255261262263264265