Results 1,696 to 1,707 of 1707
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Just heard from one of my best friend's. Her mom tested positive for covid-19. Her mom is doing fine and at home right now, but previously had a fever which is why my friend insisted she get tested.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Shhhh... I got a haircut today.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

The slideshow in the article is pretty powerful
    Link:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21Q018

Ecuador builds emergency cemeteries due to coronavirus outbreak
    Alexandra Valencia, Vicente Gaibor del Pino

GUAYAQUIL (Reuters) - Ecuador’s government is preparing an emergency burial ground on land donated by a private cemetery in Guayaquil, the country’s largest city, to address a shortage of burial plots as the novel coronavirus hits the Andean country hard.

FILE PHOTO: People wait next to a coffin in a pick-up truck lined up outside of a cemetery as Ecuador's government announced on Thursday it was building a "special camp" in Guayaquil for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) victims, in Guayaquil, Ecuador April 2, 2020. REUTERS/Vicente Gaibor del Pino
    As of Tuesday, the country had 3,995 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and 220 deaths, with 182 more deaths suspected of being linked to the virus. The outbreak has sparked a shortage of wooden coffins, prompting some people to bury their relatives in cardboard boxes donated by cemeteries.

Large lines of cars carrying coffins waited outside private cemeteries across the city this week, as families waited for hours for a chance to bury their deceased relatives. The outbreak has overwhelmed hospitals and emergency services, with some families keeping dead bodies in their homes for days.

The government, which last week began storing the bodies of coronavirus victims in giant refrigerated containers until graves were prepared, is aiming to bury some 100 people a day at the cemetery in northern Guayaquil, which has the capacity for some 2,000 plots.

Jorge Wated, who is coordinating the government’s response to the handling of the dead, said the government was conducting burials itself and would publish a guide on the internet to ensure relatives knew where their loved ones were buried.

“At the cemetery, they will be buried person by person, without cost to the families,” Wated said.

The city of Guayaquil also said it would prepare two public cemeteries with the capacity to handle some 12,000 plots.

President Lenin Moreno said last week that some 3,500 people could die from the coronavirus in Guayas province, home to 68% of the country’s cases and where Guayaquil is located.

Among the dead so far have been seven nurses, according to the Guayas College of Nurses, which added that some 147 nurses had been infected and 120 had resigned for fear of contagion.

“Each day, the number of staff is falling,” said Lilia Triana, the organization’s president.

Reporting by Alexandra Valencia and Vicente Gaibor del Pino; Additional reporting by Cristina Munoz en Quito; Writing by Luc Cohen; Editing by Peter Cooney
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It is horrible, Jeff. But thank you for making sure we were aware of it. People in Ecuador (and other countries) are important, too.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My sister caught it. She initially tested negative, but developed all the hallmark symptoms anyway. Fever, cough, body aches, loss of taste/smell.

She's doing ok now, but was slammed fairly hard, though not to hospitalization levels. Recuperating at home still. She thinks she got it from their 2 year-old who in typical kid fashion coughed straight into her mouth at one point while mildly ill a few weeks ago. Her husband probably had it as well but only very mild fever at one point. One would think that the other two older kids were likely were exposed, but didn't show anything if they were.
    I disapprove of this message

James, I'm delighted to hear that all 3 of them are doing well.

James' story is the sort of evidence that tells all of us that the number of infected persons has been far higher than the number of positive tests. The inadequacy of testing of relatives, contacts, and even mildly symptomatic people in this country is totally embarrassing to me as a retired member of this country's medical community. Of course, the inadequate testing is the result of decisions made right at the top.

GH

James, so sorry to hear about your sister, but really great to hear that her symptoms are relatively mild for what we are hearing and that the rest of the family is doing well.

I think a huge under counting of positive cases is happening everywhere except maybe few small countries with <1000 cases.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think a huge under counting of positive cases is happening everywhere except maybe few small countries with <1000 cases.
    A lot of countries have and continue to instruct people to just self-isolate if symptoms are mild, although some are at least saying to call a doctor or a hotline to be tracked.

Was speaking to a close friend and Switzerland and she and her boyfriend both had it and didn't contact anyone, just self-isolated for 14 days.

Glad to hear your sister and family are ok, James.

By the way there has been now real lifting of lockdown in Wuhan yet. What has happened is that people from out of town who had been trapped there for 76 days have finally been allowed to leave, usually going straight to another 14 day self isolation elsewhere in China. Some select businesses have been allowed to open as well and one could go to the grocery store in person.
    Roger forever

About cases being undercounted, I liked the perspective this article brought: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-meaningless/
    Go Pack Go!

Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 146489104110111112113114