Agree Agree:  1,031
Likes Likes:  711
Page 229 of 229 FirstFirst ... 129179204219225226227228229
Results 3,421 to 3,433 of 3433

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Colombia. The problem seems to be that a lot of people are not staying in quarantine. During the weekend, several parties were broken up by the Police, with ranges of people around 50 to a 100. So, nobody on the street but these kids then become super spreaders.
    It is that simple.
    And by now, what Suliso says. I wrote about it. This thing has defeated us, between silly Colombian kids and dumb American bikers.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: That motorcycle rally in Sturgis. I was once passing through that area for reasons of having to go to Wyoming. I had to go right through Sturgis on the interstate, and it was mid-day Saturday during the weekend of this bike rally. The chaos in that area was beyond belief. The attendees were doing everything BUT behaving responsibly (obviously at a time that a pandemic was not the problem). By the way, every single year there are quite a few deaths in that immediate area from motorcycle accidents. So these people won't even be trying to mitigate the spread of disease. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to hear that 50% of them ultimately got the virus.

GH

I'm continuing to watch coverage of what's happening in Sturgis...photos show very crowded scenes with almost no masks (I did see a couple of them). The great majority of the townspeople were apparently opposed to the rally happening. But that lame-brained governor gave her support to it. And several members of the town council supported it and it is going on.

I noticed an article about how the medical services in the town and the surrounding area are very concerned about having to deal with lots of COVID-19 cases. In normal years, the trauma from the motorcycle crashes, as well as the other things that happen when hundreds of thousands of people descend on a town of 7000 people, totally overwhelm the medical capabilities. My opinion is that they won't have too much of an uptick in hospitalized cases of the virus during the rally. Most of the significant illness will occur after the participants have returned to wherever they came from.

I am predicting this could be the biggest super-spreader event in the world to this point. Yes, a lot of the activities are outdoors, but in very crowded situations. But also, there are jam-packed bars and other indoor activities that are a total recipe for disaster. And keep in mind that these people have come from all over the country, surely many of them bringing the virus with them, or catching it along the way there.

We shall see. GH

By now... if 125K bikers in S. Dakota, people with a lifestyle that certainly includes smoking and high BMI's, catch COVID, well, I don't care.
    It is like here in Bogota. If young kids catch it and give it to their 80 yo grandma, there is a limit to how much sympathy I can have (and that usually starts very low, low-life that I am).

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Last week and again this morning, I had to take dolphins to Chambersburg for his nerve-kill injections in his lower back (one on each side). He went in my himself because I refused to go in. He was fine with that. I just sat in the car in the parking lot for 90 minutes waiting for them to finish the procedure.

Both times they called me to say he was ready and how I should go about getting into the office. Both times I had to explain that I am NOT going in. And in both cases, the nurses were completely baffled as to why I would refuse to go inside. I didn't need to go inside. I only needed to pull the car up to the front until they wheeled him out and put him in the passenger seat.

Then, standing by the car, with my mask on of course, I received their instructions (they are always the same, I practically have them memorized), signed the release form (with my own pen, not theirs), and left.

Today, the nurse who wheeled dolphins out insisted on trying to stand close to me to give me the instructions. I kept backing up until she finally got the point. Then I asked her to put the clipboard with the release form on the car and I signed it with my own pen--not the one she brought.

Am I insane? Or just overly cautious?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Last week and again this morning, I had to take dolphins to Chambersburg for his nerve-kill injections in his lower back (one on each side). He went in my himself because I refused to go in. He was fine with that. I just sat in the car in the parking lot for 90 minutes waiting for them to finish the procedure.

Both times they called me to say he was ready and how I should go about getting into the office. Both times I had to explain that I am NOT going in. And in both cases, the nurses were completely baffled as to why I would refuse to go inside. I didn't need to go inside. I only needed to pull the car up to the front until they wheeled him out and put him in the passenger seat.

Then, standing by the car, with my mask on of course, I received their instructions (they are always the same, I practically have them memorized), signed the release form (with my own pen, not theirs), and left.

Today, the nurse who wheeled dolphins out insisted on trying to stand close to me to give me the instructions. I kept backing up until she finally got the point. Then I asked her to put the clipboard with the release form on the car and I signed it with my own pen--not the one she brought.

Here in NY most clinics aren't allowing anyone to accompany patients. My dad is getting a daily treatment course for something at the moment and my mom is not allowed to accompany him in (nor does she want to). I know also my OB/GYN's office is only seeing pregnant patients and not allowing in their partners/spouses. The issue is... in an unfortunate case, if Dolphins gets it from there, you probably will too anyway.

Some more covid-19 statistics this time concentrating on US

Roger forever

Roger forever

Kurt Eichenwald
    @kurteichenwald
    @TexasGOP psychopaths - like
    @GregAbbott_TX
    @JohnCornyn
    @SenTedCruz
    - are *actually* following Trump's instructions to "slow the testing down, please." The testing is rapidly going down while test positivity goes up. Below is graph of recent TX testing numbers.../1

...and here is the long term graph on daily testing. Now, notice how the use of antibody tests has been rapidly going up while other tests have been going down during that same time. That disguises how bad the fall of testing actually is. In other words, its worse than this...

...standard diagnostic test - done properly - has low false negative rate. (Some experts say near zero.) Antibody test - done AFTER someone is sick- has high false negative rate. So, by cutting all other tests while increasing antibody makes positivity rate lower than reality...2

...if the spread is worsening while tests are being cut - even while increasing antibody tests - you would expect to see a growing positivity rate. And GOD, does Texas have that, exploding from the day
    @GregAbbott_TX started cutting testing. Now at 21%!.../3

...what this means is, rather than doing the mass testing that is needed to contain - which results in a single-digit positivity rate that keeps dropping as action taken in response to findings - the people getting testing are either showing symptoms or the spread is so bad...

..is beyond control. Whats amazing is they must think this makes them look better as disease spreads. I dont know where we'll be by election day, but if they dont reverse, the state will be sick as hell. Data manipulation didnt work for the Soviets, it wont work for the GOP...

...this is really a time when Republican voters need to make a strong decision: What matters to you? Do you care about people dying when it could be stopped? Do you care about the economy collapsing? Do you care about children getting sick?...
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Dry you did the right thing.

My sister who is disabled as the result of a stroke was recently hospitalized for a UTI (something that happens a lot with women who are confined to wheel chairs). My younger sister texted me to ask when I wanted to go visit her in the hospital. I told her I wasn't going near a hospital due to my being in a very high risk group. She was annoyed although she is also in a high risk group.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post

Not really mutually exclusive, you know.
    Right now, there is no way I go into a hospital unless black humor is coming out from every orifice.
    For anything else, I will go to a veterinary and bark.

@Suliso and Ti. Thanks for the graphs. Only way to stay informed.

Coronavirus cases lead over 800 to quarantine in Georgia school district where masks not required
    Cherokee County School District drew attention last week when students without masks posed for a group photo.

Aug. 11, 2020, 9:43 AM EDT / Updated Aug. 11, 2020, 1:25 PM EDT
    By Ben Kesslen

Just one week after schools reopened in a northern Georgia school district, more than 800 of its students and staff have been told to quarantine.

Last week, the Cherokee County School District, about 44 miles north of Atlanta, told 20 people to quarantine when one 2nd-grader tested positive for the virus after the first day of school. That number grew fast, and as of Monday night, the school has ordered 826 students to quarantine due to possible exposure, according to a list the district created.

The 42,000-student district lists about 40 cases in 19 elementary, middle and high schools, but it is unclear if all of those represent positive coronavirus tests or if some are of people who were just exposed to infected students or staff.

The district routinely does contact tracing to determine who may have been exposed to people who test positive for the virus, according to NBC affiliate WXIA in Atlanta.

A spokeswoman said in a statement Tuesday that the district anticipated ahead of schools reopening that "positive tests among students and staff could occur."

That "is why we put a system into place to quickly contact trace, mandate quarantines, notify parents and report cases and quarantines to the entire community," spokeswoman Barbara Jacoby said. "We are not hesitating to quarantine students and staff who have had possible exposure to a student or staff member who has tested positive."

Cherokee County schools recommend but don't require students or staff to wear masks.

After a viral photo last week captured some students without masks standing shoulder to shoulder, Superintendent Brian V. Hightower wrote a letter to parents saying the image failed to show that many students in the district wear face coverings.

"The senior group photos taken outside before school on several of our campuses raised concerns that those students might not be aware of the importance of masks," Hightower wrote. "Upon investigation, we learned many wear masks routinely, but we must continue to remind all students of the importance of masks when you cannot social distance."

Hightower also said in his note to families last week that he isn’t sure how long the district will be able to keep schools open in the face of the pandemic.

“The answer will depend on all of us as a community,” he wrote.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a press conference Monday that he is happy with school reopenings across the state.

“I think quite honestly this week went real well other than a couple of" viral photos, the governor said.

Hilary Porterfield, a parent of a Cherokee school student, told NBC News last week she has been “frustrated” by how the coronavirus pandemic has been handled. She said the positive cases should serve as a “red flag” for the district.

“it's just a matter of time before it's out of control,” she said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...476if284j5Mtoc

I'm a bit behind...re: Dry's post #3425:

I think you did EVERYTHING correctly. I wouldn't change a bit of what you did. There is no such thing right now as being too careful. I know that Dolphins is higher-risk for serious disease than you are. And if he gets it, as someone else pointed out, you would be at very high risk of getting it also. But on the flip side, if you were to contract and he didn't (completely possible if you went into that hospital for a couple of hours), not only are you putting yourself at risk, but you are also putting him at risk, something we all know is a very bad idea.

Keep up the good work. GH

Page 229 of 229 FirstFirst ... 129179204219225226227228229