Agree Agree:  897
Likes Likes:  639
Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156181196202203204205206
Results 3,076 to 3,084 of 3084

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

If you did not have this Cro-Magnon as president, somebody would be working on new ways to fuel up an economy:
    Laying and improving on your telecom infrastructure (more optic cable, speeding up 5G)
    Drone delivery and use (which really helps China but if you start an incentive program, there are American companies that make them. You would need a lot of operators).
    Remodeling of restaurants and common areas (construction jobs).
    Tackle Climate Change issues: reforestation projects (which need a lot of people NOT WORKING NEXT to each other), ocean cleaning projects.

An economy could be fostered. But not with this idiot in charge.

From my side. Just imagine the lot of work I would have just trying to design and implement safety protocols. We could be booming, and not related to O&G. But noooooooooo!, Sunday and here I am, chatting with you guys. Get a job, P!
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Colombia took the outbreak seriously. You know, as an example, that I was stuck in the USA for way longer than I expected because of the nation-wide shutdown.
    But, and this is my guess (we have discussed it too), because everybody was locked down, there was no immunity build-up in the population. So the moment they opened a little bit, cases started spiking again.
    Most people are taking it seriously. I went to get my hair cut. I had to give all my data (for possible contact tracing), kept my mask on all the time, the chair was cleaned/disinfected before I sat down, there was a limited number of people there (actually, only two) and the apron used was a disposable one. Almost all shops are following guidelines and, as opposed to the USA, NO MASK, NO ENTRY. That simple.
    I guess it is the Catch-22 aspect of the virus. You lock down? No immunity build up. And since the virus is still "out there", the only thing you did was postpone catching it.

Based on our experience here in NY successfully driving down numbers, the fact that you were able to go get a haircut is already not "taking it seriously" enough.

That said, Chile has a very very strict lockdown, from what I understand. The moment they started relaxing it, things got real bad quickly, so your reasoning on why the spike happened quickly is likely correct.

Miami Herald @MiamiHerald

BREAKING: Sunday, Florida reported the most new COVID-19 cases any state has in a single day, 15,300.

This blew past the previous high, 12,274 by New York on April 4, by 3,026 or 24.6%.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...mpression=true
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

madeline lane-mckinley
    @la_louve_rouge_

Betsy DeVos says that "only" 0.02% of children will probably die as a result of schools re-opening.

That's 14,740 children.

That's about 40 times the number of school shooting victims from the last 10 years.

Visual timeline shows Bolsonaro flouted health recommendations before contracting coronavirus — and after
    The Washington Post analyzed hundreds of videos and photos of the Brazilian president to retrace his steps in the two weeks before he first reported symptoms of the novel coronavirus.

By Sarah Cahlan, Terrence McCoy, Elyse Samuels and Heloísa Traiano
    JULY 11, 2020

RIO DE JANEIRO — For months, even as the coronavirus pandemic grew into a debilitating national crisis, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro did everything he could to downplay it. He called on people to return to normal. He waded into crowds of supporters. He repeatedly described it as nothing more than a little flu.

Now Brazil is experiencing the world’s second-worst coronavirus outbreak — with 1.8 million infected and 70,000 dead — and one of the latest people to test positive is Bolsonaro himself.

The Washington Post analyzed hundreds of videos and photos of Bolsonaro to retrace his steps in the two weeks before he first reported symptoms on July 5. Experts believe symptoms may appear 2 to 14 days after exposure to the virus.

June 23: A judge orders Bolsonaro to wear a mask when in public spaces in Brasilia and the surrounding federal district.

June 27: Bolsonaro visited the town of Araguari in the state of Minas Gerais. Several photos and videos from the visit show him without a mask interacting with crowds.

July 3: One hundred and eight Planalto Palace employees tested positive for the coronavirus, according to Brazil’s General Secretariat.

July 4: Bolsonaro attended a July 4 party at the residence of the U.S. ambassador to Brazil. Photos show the two men unmasked, standing shoulder to shoulder.

July 7: Bolsonaro held a small news conference to tell the gathered reporters, clustered nearby, that he’d tested positive for the coronavirus. And then he took off his mask.

The visual evidence shows that Bolsonaro not only met with far more people than his official schedule suggests, but that he routinely flouted public health guidelines. He at times wore a mask and maintained a distance of six feet from others. But just as frequently, he met with people without a mask, shook hands and even hugged supporters.

Bolsonaro is now isolated, taking the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, an unproven and potentially harmful medication when used to treat covid-19. But how he got to this point is revealed in the weeks before.

Alexa Juliana Ard contributed to this report.

VIDEO at the Link

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I can't believe this had to be written, but:

From Mayor George Fuller, McKinney, Texas. Thank you!

Please read and pass on.

"For those who are not aware, Governor Abbott stated emphatically that the next step may be another lockdown if residents continue to flout his mask mandate. For those who are making this about “civil liberties”, please, for the sake of physical and economic health, stop. The mask mandate is not a step closer to tyranny and an attempt at a “communist regime”, you know better than that, it is simply the best and most accepted tool, along with social distancing, to slow the spread of Covid.

If you think you know the science better than the scientists that most of the world is listening to, again, I ask that you consider the possibility you are wrong.  (though I certainly know that there’s so much information and miss information out there, and deciphering is very difficult)

For those that believe this is purely political, in an attempt to overthrow Trump, I submit that the entire world, the dozens and dozens of other countries that have been on the same journey, have not all conspired with the Democratic Party to overthrow Trump. I submit to you that our Republican governor and state government are not making decisions in an attempt to sabotage their own party. I ask that we instead believe what is the most plausible, our government and scientists are making the best decisions they can with, yes, the ever-changing information they have. (that is actually the norm when dealing with new diseases).

Bottom line is this, you can make the choice to try to be part of the solution, follow the law, or not. In this case, the solution and following the law is synonymous with showing compassion for others and our struggling businesses.  It is not showing that you are weak, acting like sheep, or fighting some noble cause against tyrannical government."

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I would translate to the vernacular but that language isn't allowed here.

It is a shame that had to be written.

Mexico set to surpass Italy's coronavirus tally as death toll nears 35,000
    MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico’s death toll from the coronavirus pandemic is poised to overtake Italy’s and shoot above 35,000 on Sunday, with the Latin American nation set to post the world’s fourth highest deaths total, according to Reuters data. Mexico on Saturday recorded 539 additional fatalities to bring its coronavirus toll to 34,730, with 295,268 confirmed cases. Italy has recorded 34,945 deaths and 242,827 cases.

While Italy appears to have tamed the virus, the pandemic is showing no signs of slowing down in Mexico, where the government has faced criticism for reopening its economy too soon.

Mexican authorities have gradually raised the projections of total fatalities and as recently as June forecast up to 35,000 deaths through October. In early May, the estimate was 6,000. The coronavirus death toll per million residents in Mexico, whose population numbers about 120 million, is the 16th highest in the world, according to data by research firm Statista. But Mexican officials say the true toll is likely much higher due to limited testing. A Reuters analysis of funeral homes data in May indicated a toll more than double the reported figures.

Hugo Lopez-Gatell, Mexico’s deputy health minister and coronavirus czar, this week said the virus was “slowing down”. But several former officials have criticised President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s administration for its handling of the epidemic. Former health minister Salomon Chertorivski earlier this week said the government had reopened the economy before globally-established criteria for doing so were met.

“There are three fundamental variables: a reduction in the last 14 days in the numbers of contagions, reduction in recent days in the number of deaths, and reduction in the number of hospitalized people,” Chertorivski told Mexican newspaper Reforma.

“None of those three parameters were achieved.”
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Three generations of Bollywood's Bachchan family hit by COVID-19
    MUMBAI (Reuters) - Revered Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan’s daughter-in-law and granddaughter have joined him and his son in testing positive for COVID-19, the family said on Sunday, in one of the highest-profile cases of the pandemic sweeping India.

From hospital with his father in Mumbai, Amitabh Bachchan’s son Abhishek said his wife and former Miss World Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and their eight-year-old daughter had also been infected by the new coronavirus.

“Aishwarya and Aaradhya have also tested COVID-19 positive. They will be self quarantining at home,” he tweeted, saying other family members had tested negative and thanking Indians for their wishes and prayers.

“My father and I remain in hospital till the doctors decide otherwise. Everyone please remain cautious and safe. Please follow all rules!” added Abhishek Bachchan, 44, also an actor.

He and his father were admitted on Saturday to hospital, where health officials said on Sunday they were stable.

Seventy-seven-year-old Amitabh Bachchan is one of India’s most beloved personalities, and some fans were conducting Hindu prayer rituals for the whole family.

“It’s shocking to know that one of the richest and most talented, educated family (sic) can get infected. We can only hope the family recovers as it’s important for the morale of millions,” tweeted one fan Jayant Sathe.

INDIA’S CASES SOAR TO NEARLY 850,000
    The elder Bachchan had a near-fatal accident in 1982 when a table hit him in the abdomen while shooting a fight scene.

That triggered an outpouring of love, with one fan said to have walked backwards from southern Hyderabad city to Mumbai in his honour.

Aishwarya Bachchan, 46, who often features on “most beautiful” lists, has also worked in several Bollywood and Hollywood films. She is a brand ambassador for some multinational companies, including L’Oreal .

Amitabh Bachchan, who endorses dozens of Indian and global brands, has a net worth estimated to be over $100 million.

India has the world’s third highest COVID-19 case load, registering a record increase on Sunday that took the number of infections to nearly 850,000. Partial lockdowns have been reimposed in some densely populated areas.

Federal health ministry data showed that more than 27,100 new cases were reported in the previous 24 hours, while deaths increased to 22,674.

An official in the prime minister’s office told Reuters that senior bureaucrats and ministers had been asked to show restraint on tweeting about the Bachchan family to avoid speculation and ensure there was equality of treatment for all patients.

The father and son are being treated at Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai despite showing only mild symptoms.

Authorities have been sanitising Amitabh Bachchan’s upscale residence in Mumbai, spraying disinfectant inside the compound and on cars parked outside.

He has been a prominent figure in the fight against the coronavirus, appearing in public service advertisements where, in his trademark baritone, he urges people to wear masks, wash hands frequently and maintain social distance.

India’s film industry recently resumed shoots after a months-long hiatus following a nationwide lockdown in late March. But actors over 65, such as Amitabh Bachchan, have been banned from the sets because of their vulnerability.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156181196202203204205206