Agree Agree:  870
Likes Likes:  629
Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101151176191197198199200201
Results 3,001 to 3,012 of 3012

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

My hypothesis is that China had the most total deaths until mid-to-late April, but we'll never know for certain. As for per capita deaths, once Italy took off they probably passed China quickly.
    Go Pack Go!

Trump's rally at Mt. Rushmore: I'm most concerned about the risk of forest fires after all those fireworks. I've hiked extensively in the pine forests of the Black Hills of South Dakota. This time of year it is very hot and very dry there. I still remember how incredibly dry all the undergrowth and pine needles on the ground were. I would not even light a match in those woods given how dry they were. My understanding has been that they quit doing summer fireworks in the Black Hills in 2010 due to forest-fire risk. That risk is certainly not less this year.

So the risk of this being a super-spreader event for the virus is only part of what we need to worry about. GH

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Canada Crushing the Curve as US Cases Soar

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=319038089128526

Trump's Mount Rushmore event is 'beyond irresponsible,' doctor says

https://www.facebook.com/21357609434...90155635464551

I've seen the videos from Mt. Rushmore, as have all of you by now...no social-distancing in the crowd and very few masks. I'd say fewer masks than at the Tulsa rally. Trump's entourage did not practice social-distancing within that group, but they stayed well away from the crowd. The fact that it was outside helps the virus risk a little, but all the shouting and cheering probably balanced that out to make this very dangerous.

No evidence of forest fires so far, but I'm not sure we can say that risk is completely gone.

"Beyond irresponsible" is the softest way I would have worded my opinion. GH

The current situation in Europe

Seems like the epicenter is now in the Southeast of the continent. Some countries improving, but many (including Switzerland) show concerning trends.

I'm not sure now, but about 2 weeks ago the corresponding number in US was 120.
    Roger forever

Do notice that the overall incidence level is decreasing not increasing as might seem because of more "red" countries. That's due to hot spots being in smaller countries and the bigger ones are getting better (in particular UK, Italy, Turkey and Germany).
    Roger forever

Here is a risk map for US on county level. In this case it's daily new cases as a 7 day rolling average relative to 100k inhabitants as of June 29th.

You can find the live version here: https://globalepidemics.org/key-metr...d-suppression/

Unfortunately it doesn't seem easy to compare these data with European ones I posted earlier...
    Roger forever

Even though Sweden has decreased the last week, with six months of numbers behind us it seems that their strategy did not work that well.
    My friends in Colorado tell me that our sleepy town got closed again. Everybody back into their homes.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Talking about covid-19 precautions I went to hairdressers today. Everyone has to wear a mask except during brief moments when it's hindering the actual haircut. At the entrance everyone has to use hand disinfectant and customers have to register beforehand and give full name and phone number in case there is an outbreak and it's necessary to trace contacts. Seemed a pretty solid operation given the circumstances.

Note that infection levels here moderately low, I wouldn't go if I were in say Miami now.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Even though Sweden has decreased the last week, with six months of numbers behind us it seems that their strategy did not work that well.
    90% of me agrees with you, the remaining 10% say that we should delay our judgment until the complete end of the pandemic worldwide.
    Roger forever

Sure. If their contagion rate drops precipitously in a couple of weeks, they can declare success. But right now, they are 2-6, 2-6, one break of serve down in the third with COVID serving. It does not look good.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Some of the jumps in Balkan states is very alarming. Croatia, Montenegro specifically. It's possible they just ramped up testing though.

Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101151176191197198199200201