Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Roger forever

Wasn't Denmark the first one to open?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Wasn't Denmark the first one to open?
    Among these countries? I think so... But none of these countries were closed very hard in the first place (maybe Norway, I'm not sure)
    Roger forever

NYC public school opening will be delayed and then staggered.

Private and Catholic schools have reopened with staggered schedules.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Don Moynihan
    @donmoyn
    The USPS had a plan to send 5 reusable facemarks (sic) to every household in early April. Even had a press release ready.

The White House blocked the plan.

“There was concern...that households receiving masks might create concern or panic." https://washingtonpost.com/us-policy...s-amazon-foia/

New York City reverses school opening plan. Now most students will start remotely.

By
    Moriah Balingit and
    Valerie Strauss
    September 17, 2020 at 1:56 p.m. EDT

NEW YORK — Four days before students were set to arrive at school buildings, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he would once again delay face-to-face instruction for nearly all students as the school system, which educates more than one million children, scrambled to assuage growing fears among educators and parents.

De Blasio had pledged to provide parents the option to send their children back to school for at least part of the week to allow for social distancing, providing virtual instruction the rest of the time. School buildings were set to reopen Monday.

But he faced significant pushback from many teachers and parents, who expressed concern about whether schools could adequately prevent a covid-19 outbreak, with many buildings having poor ventilation systems. There were also concerns about whether schools had enough personal protective equipment, such as masks.

“We have to do it right,” de Blasio said Thursday.

Several teachers, who had begun returning to classrooms to prepare for the school year, tested positive for the coronavirus, heaping more concerns on parents. And there were also massive staffing and logistical challenges for schools that had to sort out how to cover both virtual and in-person classes, especially when many educators have medical exemptions to teach from home.

De Blasio had originally planned to open schools Sept. 10 but moved that to Monday after reaching a deal with the teachers union that included more safety measures. However, teachers later said they were concerned that the city had not made enough changes, and sought to delay the start of school again.

Now, only preschoolers and special-education students will start in-person instruction on Monday. On Sept. 29, elementary schools (both K-5 and K-8) will begin in-person classes, while the rest will go back Oct. 1, he said.

New York City, home to the nation’s largest school system, is one of the only urban districts to reopen school buildings for face-to-face instruction. School leaders argued it was critical for children, many of whom rely on schools for meals and for a safe place to stay during the day.

Once the nation’s epicenter of the pandemic, New York City’s positivity rates have fallen below one percent. By contrast, the nation’s positivity rate stands at more than 5 percent.

An earlier version of this story misstated de Blasio’s reopening plan. The mayor had planned to allow only some students to return Monday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...mpaign=wp_main

Covid-19 Live Updates: C.D.C. Website’s Controversial Testing Guideline Was Not Written by C.D.C. Scientists

A much-criticized testing recommendation on the C.D.C.’s website last month was not written by C.D.C. scientists.
    A heavily criticized recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month about who should be tested for the coronavirus was not written by C.D.C. scientists and was posted to the agency’s website despite their serious objections, according to several people familiar with the matter as well as internal documents obtained by The New York Times.

The guidance said it was not necessary to test people without symptoms of Covid-19 even if they had been exposed to the virus. It came at a time when public health experts were pushing for more testing rather than less, and administration officials told The Times that the document was a C.D.C. product and had been revised with input from the agency’s director, Dr. Robert Redfield.

But officials told The Times this week that the Department of Health and Human Services did the rewriting itself and then “dropped” it into the C.D.C.’s public website, flouting the agency’s strict scientific review process.

“That was a doc that came from the top down, from the H.H.S. and the task force,” said a federal official with knowledge of the matter, referring to the White House task force on the coronavirus. “That policy does not reflect what many people at the C.D.C. feel should be the policy.”

Adm. Brett Giroir, the administration’s testing coordinator and an assistant secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services, the C.D.C.’s parent organization, said in an interview Thursday that the original draft came from the C.D.C., but he “coordinated editing and input from the scientific and medical members of the task force.”

Over a period of a month, he said, the draft went through about 20 versions, with comments from Dr. Redfield; top members of the White House task force, Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx; and Dr. Scott Atlas, President Trump’s adviser on the coronavirus. The members also presented the document to Vice President Mike Pence, who heads the task force, Admiral Giroir said.

C.D.C. staff scientists’ objections to the pre-published document went unheard. A senior C.D.C. official told the scientists, “We do not have the ability to make substantial edits,” according to an email obtained by The Times.

Similarly, a document, arguing for “the importance of reopening schools,” was also dropped into the C.D.C. website by the Department of Health and Human Services in July and is sharply out of step with the C.D.C.’s usual neutral and scientific tone, the officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/w...gtype=Homepage

By the time this administration is over, the sole two agencies that will have any reputation left will be... NASA and NOAA?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 246 of 246 FirstFirst ... 146196221236242243244245246