Agree Agree:  881
Likes Likes:  633
Page 59 of 204 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859606162636984109159 ... LastLast

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Valerio Capraro @ValerioCapraro

The military arrives in Bergamo to take the coffins. There’s no more space for them in the hospitals. I’ve never seen anything similar. Poor my country. Show this pic to all the people that keep minimising the situation.

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

The Daily Beast
    @thedailybeast

BREAKING: Rep. Ben McAdams, a freshman Democrat from Utah, has tested positive for the coronavirus. He is the second member of Congress to have announced a positive test after Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    4:31 p.m.
    Largest U.S. mall owner is closing its properties in the country, as states crack down on shopping outlets

The U.S.’s largest mall owner said Wednesday that it is shuttering all its properties in the country through March 29, in another massive business closure spurred by the coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement by Simon Property Group came as New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey moved to drastically cut shopping traffic. Those states will “temporarily close all indoor portions of retail shopping malls, amusement parks and bowling alleys” starting Thursday at 8 p.m., New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) tweeted.

The Simon shutdowns will take effect 7 p.m. local time Wednesday, Simon Property Group said in a statement.

“The health and safety of our shoppers, retailers and employees is of paramount importance and we are taking this step to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our communities,” said David Simon, Simon’s CEO, in a statement.
    Governor Wolf threw some serious shade at them at his press conference earlier in the week without naming them and praised their competitor's by name for complying with the order. Philly officials flat out shamed them by name in today's press conference. And one of their Philly malls broke the Governor's and Mayor's order and had to be shut down by the Philadelphia Police and License & Inspection office this afternoon. Seriously.

This is why I sometimes have difficulty supporting free college - it should be affordable. But the level of self-centered attitude on that twitter is quite simply appalling. Heaven forbid that some fun might have to be postponed.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

A response to that which has nothing to do with the virus....I have never been in favor of "free" college. I think "affordable" (and truly affordable) is what we should desire. People have an amazing tendency not to put any effort behind that which comes to them for free. And Americans already have a far-too-well-developed sense of entitlement. It is O.K. to need to prioritize college enough to have to work to pay something for it, but the prices have gotten way out of control.

GH

How does it work in say Switzerland then? Students aren't paying anything anyway. It's either parents or student loans.
    Roger forever

Actually I can answer my own question to some extent. When college is free you make staying in it difficult. Don't have the grades? Don't pass difficult tests first or second time? Out you go and find something else to do with your life. Provides plenty of stimulus to work hard. Of course there is still some time left for partying too. Young people need that.
    Roger forever

I think you did give the answer that makes sense....make it hard to stay in and make that very clear from day one. Those who want to be there will do the work.

GH

Completed unrelated to coronavirus, but my aunt who has been sick for a while passed away early this morning. She was getting considerably worse in the last 3-4 weeks and I knew I'd be going to Pittsburgh very soon. Now with all of this, we're not certain we can have a funeral for her at all, and if we can, it won't be the one we would've had. Sobering new reality.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    A response to that which has nothing to do with the virus....I have never been in favor of "free" college. I think "affordable" (and truly affordable) is what we should desire. People have an amazing tendency not to put any effort behind that which comes to them for free. And Americans already have a far-too-well-developed sense of entitlement. It is O.K. to need to prioritize college enough to have to work to pay something for it, but the prices have gotten way out of control.

GH
    Argentine: Hold my beer.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I know I don't sound very smart here but... I had to come back home.
    Spent some time with my family in Georgia, where we carried out the social distancing thing. We very much did nothing but stay together (played some tennis but I guess that 72 feet of separation is distancing enough).
    But I had to come back home yesterday. Which meant going through both ATL and DEN, two major hubs.
    At ATL, the busiest airport in the world, the TSA had only 5 LANES for security checks for the entire North Terminal. So we had to stand in line for about an hour, during which Social Distancing was impossible. So who knows if we have been exposed. TSA personnel were wearing gloves but nothing more: no facial PPE or anything. The S in TSA sometimes doubles for STUPID, indeed.
    ATL-DEN on UNITED was 1/2 empty. A few people wearing masks, the flight attendants had gloves. Again, no masks or facial PPE.
    DEN was basically empty, and that is a an airport I know very well. We were able to get out very fast and on my car. Then drove 5 hours across Colorado. Stopped at a little place that had take out to get a shawarma as the state is clamped down: nothing but TAKE OUT or DELIVERY in any restaurant state wide. Some places are allowed CURB SIDE. Drove through some beautiful scenery and very empty roads, and got home. Stopped at the supermarket. Toilet paper available, kitchen towels very scarce. Fruits and veggies largely gone, almost no canned goods, almost no meats of any kind (we found some ground beef) but the town is operating. All restaurants are shut down with signs for people to patronize them. But this is a tourist town, relying mostly on the skiing and summer vacations season, and the ski area has been already shut down (the governor shut down all resorts) and therefore, the stores will not be doing any business.
    Woke up to a gorgeous snow storm. I hope this will clean all public surfaces of any possible virus. Temp is 28Fº and icy. That should do it.
    Right?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

College should NEVER be free. My idea:
    You get your scholarship. It will pay for every course you need to take ONCE. You flunk one, you pay for the second time.
    And no, Americans do not have the monopoly of entitlement, and Argetines can say HOLD MY BEER, but it is US (Vennies) that take that mantle of champions. We...
    You get my point. It is a very well spread effect. Human nature, I guess.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Our county has issued a Shelter-in-Place order beginning today at 5 p.m. I'm going to allow storage access unless/until I receive an official order to not do so. I haven't decided whether or not I will open the office to the public during this. We rarely have more than one or 2 people in it at any given time, so I don't think it would be unsafe. At the same time, the majority of people who would come into the office should be sheltered at home.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

I’m seeing this morning that the Olympics are likely to be postponed
    This is not the bouquet you toss

It's a pleasant evening so I took a walk from my apartment to the old town and along the main shopping street to the river. All closed, but still few people walking, some jogging. I was just thinking how often does a well established adult really needs to buy anything other than food and household items (cleaning, toilet paper etc). I think I could go a year easily, maybe 2 or 3 even. I'd only want a haircut every 2-3 months.
    Roger forever

Page 59 of 204 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859606162636984109159 ... LastLast