Agree Agree:  415
Likes Likes:  329
Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6568196102103104105106
Results 1,576 to 1,588 of 1588

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Meanwhile, in other news, I went to the grocery store in Orbisonia today. (Only the fifth time I have left the property in the past 5-6 weeks.)

I want to write a nasty post about the woman who grabbed up basically ALL of the beef in the supermarket, but that would be hypocritical since I grabbed the last three quarts of half-and-half and most of the bell peppers...
    I went to the store yesterday. At this store they only allowed 2 packs of ground beef per family (i'm assuming they track by savings card). There didn't seem to be a limit on steaks, but the prices seemed higher than normal.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    How did you do with the shopping trip? Last time or maybe the time before you were more anxious being around others. Better this time?
    I did better this time. It helped that I drove to a county with 3 KNOWN cases. But that will change soon enough. Folks were doing well with the distancing, for the most part, and the cashier was meticulous about cleaning the debit card machine after each use. I was glad to see that.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
    I went to the store yesterday. At this store they only allowed 2 packs of ground beef per family (i'm assuming they track by savings card). There didn't seem to be a limit on steaks, but the prices seemed higher than normal.
    For whatever reasons, here, steaks have been a better value than ground beef. I won't pay $5/pound for ground beef when I can get 2 steaks for $12.

People around here are beef people. Thus far, it has been far easier to score affordable chicken and fish. But beef, especially quality beef, has been more difficult to find. It disappears as soon as they put it out.

I think Jared and Ivanka are COVID-19 positives. Ivanka has damn near been in hiding for much longer than her quarantine needed to be for someone with mere contact and Jared's unqualified ass has been MIA for almost as long while supposedly leading the efforts and yesterday he finally makes an appearance and he's out here looking like Casper the Evil Ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I think Jared and Ivanka are COVID-19 positives. Ivanka has damn near been in hiding for much longer than her quarantine needed to be for someone with mere contact and Jared's unqualified ass has been MIA for almost as long while supposedly leading the efforts and yesterday he finally makes an appearance and he's out here looking like Casper the Evil Ghost.
    True, but how is this look different for him?
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

The news from Indonesia:

Indonesia.jpg

Reuters
    Exclusive: Jump in Jakarta funerals raises fears of unreported coronavirus deaths
    By Tom Allard, Kanupriya Kapoor and Stanley Widianto
    ReutersApril 3, 2020, 11:58 AM MST

Exclusive: Jump in Jakarta funerals raises fears of unreported coronavirus deaths
    Cemetery area for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) victims in Jakarta
    By Tom Allard, Kanupriya Kapoor and Stanley Widianto

JAKARTA (Reuters) - The number of funerals in Jakarta rose sharply in March, a development the governor of Indonesia's capital city said suggested that deaths from the new coronavirus may be higher than officially reported.

Nearly 4,400 burials occurred in March, 40 percent higher than any month since at least January, 2018, according to a Reuters review of statistics from the city's Department of Parks and Cemeteries. The second-highest total during that period was March 2019, when nearly 3,100 people were buried.

Reuters was able to obtain statistics going back to the start of 2018.

The city has been at the epicentre of novel coronavirus infections in Indonesia, accounting for 971 cases and 90 deaths, according to central government data, or roughly half the country's total for both.

Jakarta's governor, Anies Baswedan, and some public health experts suspect the number of infections and deaths in Jakarta has been significantly under-reported due to one of the world's lowest rates of testing.

"It is extremely disturbing," Baswedan told Reuters on Friday, referring to the funeral statistics. "I'm struggling to find another reason than unreported COVID-19 deaths."

A senior health ministry official did not respond to phone calls and messages requesting comment on the funeral statistics. A spokesman for President Joko Widodo did not respond to requests for comment.

The figures from Jakarta's Department of Parks and Cemeteries do not identify the cause of death, but no other new epidemics have been reported in Jakarta over the period and nor were there any major natural disasters.

Indonesia has almost doubled tests in the past week but has conducted only 7,621 tests in a country of more than 260 million people.

As of Friday, the health ministry reported the total number of infections in Indonesia was 1,986. Deaths from COVID-19 were 181, the most in Asia apart from China.

In an interview on Thursday, before Baswedan had made his comments, Achmad Yurianto, a senior health ministry official, defended the reporting and testing system.

He said the central government based its data on lab results using the accurate polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method. He did not respond to requests for comment on the funeral figures.

'COVID PROTOCOLS'

Hospital staff and undertakers in Jakarta have taken special precautions with the bodies of 438 people they suspect died from COVID-19 between March 6 and April 2, according to the governor's office.

The protocols mean undertakers disinfected and wrapped the bodies in plastic rather than fabric as Islamic customs requires. Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim majority country.

Indonesia is combatting the outbreak of novel coronavirus by introducing social distancing policies, but President Joko Widodo has opposed the harsh lockdown measures adopted in many countries including Indonesia's neighbours.

Widodo has said that he wants to protect the poor from economic dislocation and believes Indonesians lack the discipline to embrace tough quarantine measures.

Baswedan, a political opponent of Widodo, has imposed tougher measures in Jakarta, where he has declared an emergency and schools and many shops and businesses are shut.

But his call for a ban on bus travel from Jakarta to other parts of Indonesia in an effort to stop the spread of the virus has been rejected by the national government.

Amid fears that an annual exodus to homes across the archipelagic nation for the Muslim Ramadan holiday would accelerate the outbreak, Indonesia announced on Thursday it would give cash to poor families to stay in Jakarta instead.

However, the government rejected calls for an outright ban on "mudik", as the holiday is known locally, because it did not want to introduce draconian measures.

The novel coronavirus has already spread beyond Jakarta. It has been detected in 32 of the country's 34 provinces and, as of this week, most cases are outside Jakarta, according to central government data.

For a Graphic on Jakarta funerals:
    https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...plm/index.html

(Additonal reporting by Wahyuwidi Cinthya; Editing by Matthew Tostevin and Mike Collett-White)

Weijia Jiang @weijia

Jared Kushner is in charge of the medical supply chain that delivers critical items to the doctors and nurses who are on the frontlines everyday. Yesterday he said it was “OURS”, so I asked what he meant. Trump did not like the question.
    CBS News @CBSNews
    WATCH: @weijia presses President Trump on Jared Kushner's comment that the federal stockpile is not meant for states https://cbsnews.com/live-updates/cor...ws-2020-04-03/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1246201866444320768
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

We're all going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The easy joke is: a LITERATE REPUBLICAN? But that is too easy, so it brings no laughs.
    But a slight variation helps: A SCIENTIFICALLY LITERATE Republican?, strikes the proper note. It is not far from the truth (if it is not completely so), explains what you are talking about and keeps you completely on the subject. Maybe, and most likely, this governor ONLY watches Fox News (a strong possibility) and he swallowed the hole 9 yards of daily lies.
    Or, he is incredibly stupid. Which, seeing the last election, is a completely normal Republican pattern.
    No. He's a flat-out vote-suppressing liar, and Jason Kander called him on it:
    https://twitter.com/JasonKander/stat...72392309436416

The number of people who have died from the COVID-19 illness in France jumped by 61% to 6,507 over two days after data from nursing homes were included, and confirmed cases jumped by 44% to 82,165, the health ministry reported on Friday, making France the fifth country to report more cases than China.
    https://www.reuters.com/news/world

Falkland Islands reports first case of the coronavirus
    Falkland Islands has confirmed the island territory's first case of the coronavirus, the government said in a statement https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1246169936105541632 on Friday.

Russia to halt all flights at midnight on Friday, including for repatriation
    3 MIN READ

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia on Friday said it was temporarily suspending all flights in and out of the country from midnight, including those for repatriating citizens, to limit the possibility of a new wave of coronavirus infections.

The country’s coronavirus operational centre said the suspension applied to all charter flights bringing Russians home and taking foreign citizens away, and that those wishing to fly will have to fill out a special form, which will be available from Saturday.

The government said it had allocated 500 million roubles ($6.5 million) to the foreign ministry to pay for the temporary stay of those citizens stranded abroad.

Russia, which has reported 4,149 cases of the coronavirus, and 34 deaths, suspended all regular international flights on March 27, but had said that flights for repatriating citizens would continue.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Wednesday said 25,000 Russians abroad had appealed for help getting home, with many still stranded as measures to curb the spread of coronavirus have limited travel options.

An Aeroflot flight from Moscow to New York was cancelled on Friday after passengers had boarded the plane, despite assurances given earlier in the day given that it would go ahead, the U.S. embassy in Moscow said in a message to passengers seen by Reuters.

The embassy said that despite assurances, Russia had ordered cancellations without warning.

“At this point, we do not believe any international flights will be departing from the Russian Federation until further notice,” the embassy said.

A Reuters correspondent, with a ticket to New York on Saturday, received a message on Friday night saying the flight had been cancelled.

Passengers on the Friday night flight to New York were only told after boarding that it had been cancelled, U.S. citizen Elena Salomatina told Reuters.

“At the moment we don’t know what to do because Aeroflot ... they haven’t even given us water. There’s nowhere for us to go, we have no home - home is in America. For now I don’t know what to do,” she said.

Aeroflot declined to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    True, but how is this look different for him?
    Much paler and just sickly. Suspiciously bad for someone who has been MIA for weeks.

Regular Times
    Yesterday

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6568196102103104105106