Agree Agree:  878
Likes Likes:  632
Page 172 of 203 FirstFirst ... 72122147162168169170171172173174175176182197 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 3037

Re: covid-19 Virus Updates and Discussion

Rachel just did a report on the state of Alabama. It's not good.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

This is a bit of an editorial comment. The CDC released a statement today that saying that the major concern is the inhalation of infected droplets, and that we probably don't need to worry much about spread from contaminated surfaces, though that "may be possible".

Throughout my career, I probably thought of the CDC as one of the most valuable assets in the world of medicine...great research into infections, especially about epidemiology, and such things as spread of diseases, risk of diseases, etc. That applied to diseases that did or did not much affect the USA.

Now, I'm not so sure whether I trust their press releases to be totally impartial. We know that Tiny has been trying to find doctors who agree with him to stand up and say he is doing everything right. And it absolutely grieves me that I'm even thinking the once-nearly-god-like CDC (my lofty opinion) could be compromised.

That said, let's consider that statement: I think everyone (medically speaking) would agree that droplet spread, meaning the inhalation of droplets released from infected persons, is the biggest risk. But think about picking up a wrapped loaf of bread at the store. If some infected person had just coughed or even breathed on that loaf of bread, then you pick it up, then you, in the near future, touch your mouth, nose, or eyes, I cannot believe this is a low-risk situation. Lower risk than having that person cough in your face....sure. But low risk, not for me. We already know this virus appears to be more highly infectious than most viruses we've seen in the last 102 years. And spread from infected surfaces has been proven to be a great way to spread colds and many other viruses.

For me, there will need to be far more proof that touching infected surfaces is not a risk. I'd even say that it is a "high risk", though not nearly the even-higher risk of the direct droplet spread.

I'd love to be wrong on this. And I REALLY hope I'm wrong on the possibility that the CDC is releasing statements that could be politically influenced. That was never something I even considered in the past. Nowadays, I'm not so sure.

GH

I'm no medical expert whatsoever, but I remember reading a study of where people got infected (not sure which country, might have been Italy). Only about 5% were left after subtracting hospital, old age home, work and family. Seems like a duration and "dose" is of importance here.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    So, based on today's Situation Report from WHO, two things.

1) Brazil.
    2) I want to know more about the start up with limited experience that wins a $354 million contract to buy generic drugs and pharmaceutical ingredients. There's MUCH more to THAT story.

I hear Brazilian cities/states have started enacting or re-enacting stricter measures, since their national leader is a dum-dum.

Meanwhile some humor...or not.

Jesse Lehrich
    @JesseLehrich
    HALF of Fox News viewers believe Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass vaccination campaign against COVID-19 to implant microchips in people & track their movements. only 26% say that's false.
    https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-new...152843610.html

The terrible point is: why would Bill Gates want to IMPLANT a chip in you when most people walk around in the USA with a traceable phone in their pocket/bags, which also has a microphone? The level of stupidity is such that they can't even think that for Gates, it would be a dumb thing to do.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The terrible point is: why would Bill Gates want to IMPLANT a chip in you when most people walk around in the USA with a traceable phone in their pocket/bags, which also has a microphone? The level of stupidity is such that they can't even think that for Gates, it would be a dumb thing to do.
    I think with these news chips they can do mind control too.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

WHO's Situation Report for May 21, 2020.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...sitrep-122.pdf
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    WHO's Situation Report for May 21, 2020.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...sitrep-122.pdf
    Chile is running equal with Brazil on a per capita basis or am I reading the map wrong? They're the same color.

USA seems to be winning in every category except "new deaths"...2nd to Brazil. With some of the behavior I've seen in photos of re-openings in this country, I think we can go back to our status of "America First" very soon. GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Chile is running equal with Brazil on a per capita basis or am I reading the map wrong? They're the same color.

Ti, Those colors represent a wide range of numbers. The color that Brazil, Peru, and Chile share represents 10,001-100,000 new cases in the last 7 days. So Brazil can still be well ahead of Peru and Chile and be within that range. There is nothing on the table that helps us to narrow that down. The table gives new cases and new deaths on a daily basis. If you had the last 7 of those tables, and added up the new cases column, you should have numbers that put all 3 of them in that wide category.

It's hard to miss what the only country is that had greater than 100,000 cases in a week.

GH

Another comment....That bar graph that shows the cases by WHO region: The color on that bar that represents the Americas (by their definition of regions) is already largest. With the situation in Brazil and the USA, that color segment is going to dwarf all others very soon. GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Chile is currently more than twice the rate of confirmed cases per capita compared to to Brazil, but the Brazilians have been gaining on everyone in the past few days.

Any insights on what Argentina has done better so far than neighbouring Chile?
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Last edited by MJ2004; 05-22-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Page 172 of 203 FirstFirst ... 72122147162168169170171172173174175176182197 ... LastLast