Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Congratulations, weefunk, 2020 AO YCWJ Champion!

Weefunk has won the 2020 Australian Open edition of You Can't Win Jack, finishing with 67 points. They had a large number of picks still alive until the very end of the tournament, but didn't end up with a wooden spoon winner.

Hugo Gaston was the men's wooden spoon winner, and he propelled Federex to second place, four behind the winner. Gaston lost to Jaume Munar, who lost to Alexei Popyrin, who lost to Daniil Medvedev, who lost to Stan Wawrinka, who lost to Alexander Zverev, who lost to Dominic Thiem, who lost to Novak Djokovic. Dollymix and ptmcmahon also correctly pegged Gaston as a loser, and he saved the latter from a tie for last place.

Monica Niculescu was the women's wooden spoon winner, and she took Drop-shot into third, five points off of first. She lost to Alizé Cornet, who lost to Donna Vekić, who lost to Iga Świątek, who lost to Anett Kontaveit, who lost to Simona Halep, who lost to Garbiñe Muguruza, who lost to Sofia Kenin.

Thank you all for playing, and see you in May for the French Open edition of this contest!
    Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Congratulations, weefunk, 2020 AO YCWJ Champion!

Congratulations! Your medal has been awarded!
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

I'd like to thank my manager, the sponsors without whom we wouldn't have this great event, congrats to all the runners up and their teams, I know we will be seeing you in many more finals in the years to come, good luck for the rest of the season. Of course I'd like to thank my parents, and most of all you, the fans....

(can you tell I'm tired of boring winner's speeches?)

In reality, thanks so much to the people who run this contest. It's one that drives everybody crazy but entertains mightily at the same time. Much appreciated!

Lisa/aka weefunk

Congrats to Weefunk. VERY well done. And I loved your start to an acceptance speech. Between the AO just completed, and the Oscars next Sunday, we should all be pretty sick of them by now.

It is amazing to me that I could be in the contest to win until the last set of the last match, and then end up behind several people. This shows that we had an unusually high number of people who had picked the eventual wooden spoon winners.

Great fun, and again, thanks to the organizers. Though I've never won this (and likely never will), it remains my favorite contest.

GH

Glad I’m not the only one who rolls my eye at the generic winner speech. Although for the record Djokovic also did the "I'm sure you will win many many slams in your future" bit.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 02-04-2020 at 12:56 PM.