Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'20 AO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Rod Laver Arena

Your time 11:00pm
    From 3:00pm AEDT

R. Ram (11)/J. Salisbury (11) versus M. Purcell (WC)/L. Saville (WC)
    Men's Doubles Final
    Not before 7:30pm AEDT
    D. Thiem (5) versus N. Djokovic (2)
    Men's Singles Final

Court 8

Your time 7:00pm
    From 11:00am AEDT

A. Van Koot versus Y. Kamiji (2)
    Women's Wheelchair Singles Final
    S. Kunieda (1) versus G. Reid
    Men's Wheelchair Singles Final

Please note: this schedule and format is provisional and is subject to alteration without notice (for example, the starting time may change if extreme heat is forecast or the tournament is behind schedule).

For the night session, Rod Laver Arena and Margaret Court Arena doors will not be opened for patron access before 6:30 pm for 7:00 pm sessions, and 7:00 pm for 7:30 pm sessions, or less than 30 minutes after the conclusion of the day session, whichever is later.
    No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up. Lily Tomlin.

Re: '20 AO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

bumping for finals discussion

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Rooting for Thiem, and so is Lady Luck the way things have been going. I feel its written in the stars for him to win this title

Nole disagrees and takes the first set
    Roger forever

Drama! Djokovic gets called for a time violation twice in one game, gets broken at 4-4. Thiem will serve for the second set at 5-4.

We're all tied up!

I really love how Thiem has adapted his game to hard courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Drama! Djokovic gets called for a time violation twice in one game, gets broken at 4-4. Thiem will serve for the second set at 5-4.
    And though he was just called for the time violation that was somewhat close, the second one that got him the first serve penalty wasn't even close. He was on his like 24th bounce, lost the ball a bit and was ready for his next 24 bounces before serving. Brain cramp. He patted the ump on the foot as he walked back and told him good job and then mouthed off at him sarcastically during the changeover.

FYI, not sure if touching the umpire is a rule or not, but I'd think it is, that's the case in most sports since this was deliberate not incidental contact. But it doesn't appear Djokovic got a warning for that idiotic move. I guess we'll see if he gets another violation from that group.

I've never seen Djokovic so out of sorts. Thiem really has to press and take the third set and then anything can happen

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FEBravo View Post
    I've never seen Djokovic so out of sorts.
    ^ It used to happen rather frequently early in his pro career - he had all sorts of issues at the beginning, would retire from matches, etc. But there haven't been any issues with him, really, for the past 10 years or so.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

He looked pretty out of sorts regularly during that year or so stretch when he was traveling with Pepe the love guru. That was a hot mess. But he was very rarely late in tournaments during that time, so this kind of thing with higher stakes really hasn't happened in a very long time.

Thiem struggling to close out 3rd set. Even double faulted on the second set point

I imagined this match going many ways, but never thought of Djokovic falling apart in this manner. I thought he might get a bit pissed if the crowd got behind Thiem (and they have), but nothing like this.

All the while, Thiem has had a couple of hiccups here and there, but overall seriously impressive yet again.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    He looked pretty out of sorts regularly during that year or so stretch when he was traveling with Pepe the love guru. That was a hot mess.
    ^ Yes, that and the elbow problems/surgery around the same time a couple of years ago resulted in uncharacteristically poor play from him for a little while. But that was mostly owing to the elbow, I think, trying to compensate for it, etc.
    But the sort of thing we're seeing in this match now - where he just seems listless, and there is no apparent or long-term injury, hasn't happened with him in about 10 years.
    But back in the beginning, he did have a dubious reputation as a 'quitter'. But he turned that around completely and became known for his exceptional endurance.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

I just tuned in and Nole seems fine. Did he recover or something else?
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast