Agree Agree:  12
Likes Likes:  27
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: '20 Fed Cup

Re: '20 Fed Cup

Doubles will be Bethanie and Sonya vs. Anastasija and Alona.

Bethanie and Sonya have played together before and won a title last year, so I'm sure that's why they went with them.

Apparently, Anastasija and Alona are undefeated playing doubles in Fed Cup.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 02-08-2020 at 09:14 PM.

No doubles until 11:30, so we are bailing to let the dogs out
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    ? They are playing right now. And the first few games have been very tight.

ETA: I hope you were able to go back and the dogs are okay for a bit longer. I'm afraid the time you read was Eastern, not Pacific. I've seen both for Fed Cup. And they use the "not before" sometimes and I think doubles may have been not before 11:30 pm ET.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 02-08-2020 at 09:43 PM.

That’s weird—it said 11:30 on the fed cup site. Oh well, our dogs’ tiny bladders couldn’t handle another 2 1/2 match anyway

At least we finally got the answer to the age old question.

Apparently team USA was just waiting for me to leave to bring out the winning tennis

Two Fed Cup undefeated streaks end on the unforgiving carpet of Everett, WA

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I said before I was guessing she'd be ready for Indian Wells and this week has sealed that. She's clearly practicing regularly, which is more than she was publicly doing before AO, so that's something.
    ^ Actually, everything that I've heard was that Bianca was NOT practicing regularly during the Fed Cup preparation week.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Leylah played an amazing match. Canada has another rising star.
    ^ I've watched Leylah from Juniors. Unique, original style, incredible, unmatched focus and determination, and a sweet girl off the court. Her dad's a very interesting guy, as well. For the past year or so, I've told everyone that she'll be Canada's top female player in a couple of years - better than Andreescu. The so-called 'experts' from Tennis Canada have told me 'No Way'.
    I wonder what they're thinking now.

I was concerned that they might have pushed Leylah too fast this week - because Andreescu and Bouchard were 'injured', Leylah was suddenly the #1 singles player on the team... I was worried that it might be too much pressure for her, as she would likely lose both her matches and feel like she let the country down or something. The potential was there to do some damage to her confidence.
    I knew that Leylah would say that she wanted to play - because she loves playing and wants to keep learning. But I didn't think that 'feeding her to the wolves' was necessarily the best way to handle her.

I know her demeanour quite well by now, as well as the way she plays - but I was still surprised at what she did vs. Bencic. She was totally dictating the points - she was in control, especially in the first set. I guess she figured she had nothing to lose vs. the #5 player in the world - no-one expected her to win (except herself)... so she was more relaxed.

That was the best I've ever seen her play. She didn't give Bencic a chance in the 1st set. Bencic had no idea what to do, and was quite frustrated.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

On Friday, Serena declined to hit the balls she signed into the crowd after the match, because of an issue with her shoulder or arm. I was really surprised she took the court yesterday but not surprised her serve was second rate. So much of her confidence is tied up in her serve. She can be tough to watch when she’s off
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Two Fed Cup undefeated streaks end on the unforgiving carpet of Everett, WA
    Everett has that effect.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

PRESS RELEASE

11 February 2020

Draws made for Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals and Play-offs in April

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals 2020

The draw for the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals 2020 has been made this evening, 11 February, at the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest, Hungary. The inaugural Fed Cup Finals will take place at the László Papp stadium on 14-19 April with 12 nations competing to be crowned world champions.

The 12 nations have been divided into four groups of three teams with reigning Fed Cup champions France drawn with Russia and the hosts and automatic qualifiers Hungary in Group A.

Australia, who qualified automatically as last year’s finalists, will take on Belarus and Belgium in Group B, while 18-time Fed Cup champions and No.3 seeds USA are joined in Group C by Spain and Slovakia.

Eleven-time champions Czech Republic, who received a wild card to the Finals and are seeded No.4, will take on Germany and Switzerland in Group D.

The winner of Group A will face the winner of Group C and the winner of Group B will face the winner of Group D in the semifinals. The tournament schedule will be announced on Monday 17 February.

Speaking at the draw, Fed Cup Global Ambassador, Billie Jean King said:

"When you play Fed Cup you are representing something bigger than yourself. For me, I’ve always loved team sports, and I loved representing my country.”

"There were only 16 teams when we started in London but it was one of the most thrilling moments of my life. Fed Cup has grown through the years with 116 teams now, versus 16 in 1963."

Women’s tennis has always been the leader in women’s sport. We have led since the beginning, when the Original Nine started women’s professional tennis. The prize money is significant – it’s about equality and it sends a strong message that women are worth just as much as men.”

ITF President, David Haggerty said:

“2020 is an exciting year for Fed Cup. Budapest is a great city which has previously hosted events for us, including the Junior Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, and many of those young players will be playing here in April.”

“Fed Cup gives us the possibility to really invest in the sport and give the nations the ability to generate the next generation of players.”

Tünde Szabó, State Secretary for Sport said:

“We are really proud that the International Tennis Federation has chosen Hungary as the location for the newly shaped Finals tournament.”

“I strongly believe that the Finals will offer great memories for each and every participant.”

“The Hungarian Government is committed to support sports and this is a major international sporting event of the highest quality.”

Balázs Fürjes, Secretary of State for the Development of Budapest, Government Commissioner of International Sport Events and Chairman of the Local Organising Committee said:

“Budapest is a global sports capital, we are in the heart of Europe, easily accessible, and great value for money.”

“By bringing to life this new and exciting format, and by emphasising equal chances and conditions for women and men, we are happy to create a sports revolution together with the International Tennis Federation and with the leading players of the world.”

Full Draw:

Group A: France, Russia and Hungary

Group B: Australia, Belarus and Belgium

Group C: USA, Spain and Slovakia

Group D: Czech Republic, Germany and Switzerland

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Play-offs (17-18 April)

The draw for the 2020 Fed Cup Play-offs also took place today, and is as follows:

Poland (c) (*) v Brazil

Mexico (c) (*) v Great Britain

Serbia (c) v Canada

Latvia v TBC

Japan (c) (*) v Ukraine

Romania (c) (*) v Italy

Argentina (c) (*) v Kazakhstan

Netherlands v TBC

(c) denotes choice of ground

(*) denotes choice of ground determined by lot

The eight winning nations will progress to the Fed Cup Qualifiers in 2021. The eight losing nations will compete in their respective regional Group I event in 2021.

At the time of the draw the Asia/Oceania Group I event had yet to be played. As such the draw took place with two spots as TBC for the nations advancing from Asia/Oceania Group I, which is being played in Dubai on 3-7 March.

The Fed Cup Committee determined that the two Qualifier nations drawn against the teams from Asia/Oceania Group I will be guaranteed choice of ground to enable preparations for these ties to begin immediately. Therefore, Latvia and Netherlands will host their ties against the Asia/Oceania teams.

- ENDS -

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Fed Cup
    @FedCup

It is with regret that we announce the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals & Play-Offs 2020 have been postponed due to COVID-19 health concerns.

https://twitter.com/FedCup/status/1237777407047880711
    Last edited by JazzNU; 03-11-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Full Statement

FED CUP FINALS AND PLAY-OFFS POSTPONED

The ITF has announced the postponement of both the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals 2020 and Fed Cup Play-offs in response to COVID-19 health concerns.

The ITF COVID-19 Advisory Group has been monitoring the global spread and impact of COVID-19 since early February 2020, in continuous consultation with independent medical and travel advisers as well as international and national authorities.

After careful consideration and close discussion with the ITF Board, the Local Organising Committee and in light of today’s announcement by the Hungarian government regarding indoor events, it is with regret that the ITF has announced the postponement of the Fed Cup Finals, originally scheduled to take place 14-19 April at the Laszlo Papp Sport Arena in Budapest.

Event organisers will contact all ticket holders in the next 48 hours to advise them of their options.

The ITF is committed to delivering the Fed Cup Finals in 2020 and is in consultation with key stakeholders, including the Hungarian Government, the Hungarian Tennis Association (HTA) and the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) to find a suitable alternative date for the tournament.

The Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals is an Olympic Qualification event and the ITF is working closely with the IOC to address any impact this may have on athlete eligibility for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

In addition to the Fed Cup Finals, the Fed Cup Play-offs due to take place on 17-18 April in eight locations around the world have also been postponed and alternative dates in 2020 will be announced at a later date.

ITF president, David Haggerty said, “We are extremely disappointed to have to make this decision, but we will not risk the safety and welfare of players, captains, event staff or spectators. This decision has not been made lightly; the threat posed by the COVID-19 is a serious one and calls for us to act responsibly as a federation and as human beings. This situation goes beyond sport.

“New dates for the Finals and for the Play-offs will be announced in due course and will primarily be guided by the length of time that tennis as a whole is affected by COVID-19. We will continue to collaborate with our colleagues across the sport to ensure that the impact on players, tournaments, rights holders and fans is as minimal as possible. 

“In the meantime, the ITF COVID-19 Advisory Group will continue to monitor the situation closely and further decisions will be based on the facts, official data and expert advice.”

https://www.fedcup.com/en/news/317110.aspx

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456