Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: '20 Fed Cup

Re: '20 Fed Cup

Team Germany

Team Latvia

Team Brazil. I think so anyway it's my best guess. FedCup didn't feel the need to tag the countries in the photos the posted.

Team Great Britain look fabulous. They did it best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Agree. Had to search for that one to even know it though, they've mostly circulated a large GB group photo with execs and you can't tell at all how great the team looks. This is the one they should be using.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Agreed.
    Coincidentally (?) that is the LEAST leg I have EVER seen Heather Watson show in a photo. She has lovely legs, but I feel like she shows up all the time in cut-offs that are very close to showing her (as Dry would say) ... blessed assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Agreed.
    Coincidentally (?) that is the LEAST leg I have EVER seen Heather Watson show in a photo. She has lovely legs, but I feel like she shows up all the time in cut-offs that are very close to showing her (as Dry would say) ... blessed assurance.
    I'll have to remember to post more from her. She is almost always showing off something to their fullest, and her legs seem to be the #1, but she definitely covers them sometimes. Got to give the twins their time to shine after all.

2020 Fed Cup Qualifying -- U.S. vs. Latvia

Angel Of The Winds Arena - Everett, Wash.

Friday Preview ...

Consider this a true ‘grand’ opening for Fed Cup tennis in Washington, with three Grand Slam champions taking the court on Friday night to kick off this Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Qualifying tie between the U.S. and Latvia at Angel Of The Winds Arena in Everett, Wash.

Australian Open champion and world No. 7 Sofia Kenin will play No. 41 and 2018 US Open semifinalist Anastasija Sevastova in the night’s first singles match when play begins at 7:30 p.m. local time (10:30 p.m. ET). The second singles match will follow between world No. 9 and 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams and world No. 40 and 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko.

Saturday’s reverse singles matches will then pit Kenin vs. Ostapenko and Williams vs. Sevastova, with doubles between Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Alison Riske and Ostapenko and Sevastova to follow if necessary.

The first team to win three matches wins the weekend. If one team clinches in the third or fourth singles match, Saturday’s schedule may be amended. The winner advances to the 2020 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals April 14-19 in Budapest, Hungary – a new format for the Finals similar to the World Cup in which 12 nations converge on one venue to compete for the title.

Captains cannot make substitutions to Friday’s lineup but can for Saturday’s singles and doubles.

This is the first meeting in Fed Cup between the U.S. and Latvia, which has mostly played in lower levels of the competition since it first began competing in Fed Cup in 1992. Both nations contested World Group Playoff ties in 2019 – the U.S. defeating Switzerland and Latvia falling to Germany – but both were placed into the Qualifying pool for the 2020 Finals after the ITF adopted the new Fed Cup format last summer.

The Americans won their record 18th Fed Cup title in 2017 and reached the Final again in 2018. The U.S. is 152-38 all-time in Fed Cup ties and 42-7 at home.

There isn’t a robust history between Friday night’s singles combatants. Williams and Sevastova have played only once before, in the semifinals of the 2018 US Open, a match won by Williams, 6-3, 6-0. Kenin and Ostapenko have never played before.

The matches will air live in the United States on Tennis Channel.

ORDER OF PLAY

DAY/LOCAL TIME

Friday, 7:30 p.m. PT (10:30 p.m. ET)

Sofia Kenin (USA) v. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT)

Serena Williams (USA) v. Jelena Ostapenko (LAT)

Saturday, 3:30 p.m. PT (6:30 p.m. ET)

Sofia Kenin (USA) v. Jelena Ostapenko (LAT)

Serena Williams (USA) v. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT)

Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Alison Riske (USA) v. Jelena Ostapenko/Anastasija Sevastova (LAT)

# # #

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Team USA

Looks like they went to the Museum of Flight?
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Looks like they went to the Museum of Flight?
    Wasn't even paying attention to the background. I think you're right. USTA's IG says Boeing Future of Flight. Same difference? Maybe a special exhibit there?

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Bianca not scheduled to play singles. She is currently scheduled to play doubles with Dabrowksi, but will be surprised if she does.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/bia...land-1.5453890
    I think this is how it will be for Bianca throughout her career - she'll play less than half of a 'regular' schedule each year, on average, due to injuries. And so there is a very real chance that we'll never find out if she can sustain a top 10 ranking with her play.

The article points out that Genie plays her best tennis in Fed Cup. That's true. Makes one wonder why she sometimes passes on playing Fed Cup.
    I think the original plan was to have Genie play doubles with Dabrowski as they played together with some moderate success in juniors - though I always felt that Dabrowski carried them, as she has really good hands at the net. And Genie likely would have played #2 singles behind Bianca (and ahead of Leylah).

Dabrowski has proven herself as a world class doubles player. I'm not sure she's played much with Bianca before, though.
    It's hard to see Genie winning both her singles matches - though it is possible, as she has risen to the occasion before. I don't see Leylah winning both her matches, though, with her youth and lack of experience - if she wins one, I think the team will be happy. She'll be a good one in a few years, but isn't ready to break through yet.
    The doubles match might decide this one.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

I woke up a little earlier than I had to to watch a bit of Fed Cup and see Naomi flat out crying on court because she's getting beat handily by Sara Sorribes Tormo. I can't with you Naomi. Pull it together. Going back to sleep for another hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    It's hard to see Genie winning both her singles matches - though it is possible, as she has risen to the occasion before. I don't see Leylah winning both her matches, though, with her youth and lack of experience - if she wins one, I think the team will be happy. She'll be a good one in a few years, but isn't ready to break through yet.
    The doubles match might decide this one.
    Goign to be real hard now. Genie out with a wrist injury. Dabrowski in for her.

I like the English translation of article - "If the logic is respected, Switzerland should logically lead 2-0 at the end of this first day."
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I woke up a little earlier than I had to to watch a bit of Fed Cup and see Naomi flat out crying on court because she's getting beat handily by Sara Sorribes Tormo. I can't with you Naomi. Pull it together. Going back to sleep for another hour.
    I think the Japan team photo spoke a thousand words. The girl needs help

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast