Agree Agree:  12
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '20 Fed Cup

'20 Fed Cup

FED CUP QUALIFYING EVENT TO BE MOVED FROM CHINA AMIDST VIRAL ILLNESS
    China's health minister said the country was entering a “crucial stage" as “it seems like the ability of the virus to spread is getting stronger."

By AP

January 26, 2020

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The International Tennis Federation has moved a regional Fed Cup qualifying event out of China because of concerns over the outbreak of a viral illness that has already caused 56 deaths.

The ITF issued a statement Sunday saying the Asia/Oceania Group 1 event scheduled for Feb. 4-8 in Dongguan, China, would now be played at Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.

“The decision to move the event to a different venue was taken due to increasing travel restrictions in China and followed consultation with independent security advisers,” the ITF said in the statement.

The Fed Cup is an international women's tennis team event. Teams from China, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, South Korea and Uzbekistan were set to play at Dongguan. The top two teams will earn promotion to the Fed Cup playoffs in April.

The U.S. Consulate in the city at the epicenter announced it will evacuate its personnel and some private citizens aboard a charter flight.

China's health minister said the country was entering a “crucial stage" as “it seems like the ability of the virus to spread is getting stronger."

President Xi Jinping on Saturday called the outbreak a grave situation and said the government was stepping up efforts to restrict travel and public gatherings while rushing medical staff and supplies to the city at the center of the crisis, Wuhan, which remains on lockdown with no flights, trains or buses allowed in or out.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020...uary-26/87122/
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Re: '20 Fed Cup

Serena Williams, Sofia Kenin, Alison Riske, Coco Gauff, Bethanie Mattek-Sands to Represent U.S. Fed Cup Team vs. Latvia in Everett, Wash., Feb. 7-8

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., January 28, 2020 – The USTA and United States Fed Cup Captain Kathy Rinaldi today announced that 23-time Grand Slam champion and world No. 9 Serena Williams, No. 15 Sofia Kenin, No. 19 Alison Riske, No. 67 Coco Gauff and former doubles No. 1 Bethanie Mattek-Sands will represent the U.S. in its Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Qualifying tie vs. Latvia February 7-8 at Angel Of The Winds Arena in Everett, Wash.

World No. 33 Anasasija Sevastova, No. 45 and 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko, No. 263 Diana Marcinkevica and No. 492 Daniela Vismane will represent Latvia for Captain Adrians Zguns in the best-of-five match series, which will be played on a hard court inside Angel Of The Winds Arena.

Play will begin at 7:30 p.m. local time (10:30 p.m. ET) on Friday and 3:30 p.m. (6:30 p.m. ET) on Saturday. Friday’s two singles matches will pit each country’s No. 1 player against the other’s No. 2. Saturday will feature the two reverse singles matches – No. 1 vs. No. 1; No. 2 vs. No. 2 – followed by a possible fifth-and-decisive doubles match. A revised schedule for Saturday may take place if a team clinches in the third or fourth match.

The matchups and order of play for the weekend’s matches will be determined at the official draw ceremony, which will be held at noon local time on Thursday, February 6, at Angel Of The Winds Arena. Team captains may substitute up to two of their nominated players prior to Thursday’s draw.

Tickets are available at USTA.com/fedcup. Tennis Channel will present live daily coverage nationally in the U.S.

The winner of this matchup advances to the 2020 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Finals April 14-19 in Budapest, Hungary – a new format for the Finals similar to the World Cup in which 12 nations converge on one venue to compete for the title.

The USTA has partnered with local sponsors Amazon Prime Video, Funko and Avis. Fed Cup events have had demonstrative effects on the local communities they’ve visited in recent years. The U.S. hosted Fed Cup in Asheville, N.C., in 2018, an event that generated nearly $5 million in economic impact for the region and prompted Asheville to host Fed Cup again in 2019. San Antonio hosted a Fed Cup tie in April 2019, with an estimated economic impact of $3.5 million.

Williams, 38, last played Fed Cup in February 2018 in her competitive return to tennis following the birth of her daughter. She’s 13-0 in singles and 3-2 in doubles over 10 Fed Cup ties played since 1999, when she and sister Venus were a part of the Americans’ Fed Cup title-winning team. Williams won her 73rd career WTA singles title recently in Auckland, New Zealand.

Kenin, 21, is ranked No. 15 and has reached the Australian Open semifinals in Melbourne this week. She reached a career-high ranking of No. 12 in 2019, a breakout year in which she won three WTA titles and led the WTA in hard-court match wins (38).

Riske, 29, is ranked No. 19 and reached the 2019 Wimbledon quarterfinals, defeating world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty in the process. Riske finished 2019 ranked No. 18 in the world after beginning it ranked 63rd.

Gauff, 15, is ranked 67th but is projected to rise into the Top 50 after her run to the fourth round of the Australian Open, where she defeated defending champion Naomi Osaka. The youngest player in the Top 100 by nearly three years, Gauff made her splash debut on tour in 2019, becoming the youngest player to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon since Jennifer Capriati in 1991. She would be the second-youngest American Fed Cup representative ever, after Capriati.

Mattek-Sands, 34, is a five-time women’s doubles and four-time mixed doubles Grand Slam champion. She’s currently ranked No. 23 in the world in doubles and won her 27th career WTA doubles title in with Kenin in Beijing last year. Mattek-Sands is 7-1 in Fed Cup doubles over 10 ties played for the U.S. since making her debut in 2009.

Fed Cup is the world’s largest annual international team competition in women’s sport, with approximately 100 nations taking part each year. The U.S. holds an overall 152-38 record in Fed Cup competition with a 42-7 record in home ties. For more information, including access to player and historical Fed Cup records, please go to www.usta.com/fedcup or www.fedcup.com.

Keep up with Team USA using hashtag #TeamUSATennis on Facebook (@USTA), on Twitter (@USTA), and on Instagram (@USTA). Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Fed Cup team. Deloitte is the official team sponsor of the U.S. Fed Cup Team.

# # #

The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. and the leader in promoting and developing the growth of tennis at every level -- from local communities to the highest level of the professional game. A not-for-profit organization with more than 655,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds in growing the game. It owns and operates the US Open, one of the highest-attended annual sporting events in the world, and launched the US Open Series, linking seven summer WTA and ATP World Tour tournaments to the US Open. In addition, it owns approximately 90 Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S. and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. The USTA’s philanthropic entity, the USTA Foundation, provides grants and scholarships in addition to supporting tennis and education programs nationwide to benefit under-resourced youth through the National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) network.For more information about the USTA, go to USTA.com or follow the official accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Sorry JT, can you get a refund? Sell your tickets on StubHub for a profit or something? Not that this isn't a great team, but your comment was to about seeing Venus.

I knew I'd jinx it. Bummed about Venus, but this will work too.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

I checked a couple days ago and the cheapest (excuse me, economy) tickets available were $126 apiece. It's only 1/2 hour from here, but I opted to not attempt the less-than-happy handicapped access. So I will be watching from home, as usual -- that is, unless JT opts to offer me transportation --

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I knew I'd jinx it. Bummed about Venus, but this will work too.
    So glad it will work. And seriously, now that they've announced the team, you may have gotten them just in time. With Serena and Coco announced, I'd think prices might rise or tickets will just be sold out very soon.

Yes you timed it right....buy tickets before team announced, then sell for a profit, and then you can buy them back when Serena withdraws!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Kazakhstan Rejects to Host Tennis Cup Over Coronavirus Concerns
    By Aybulat Musaev January 31, 2020

The government of Kazakhstan announced Wednesday that the country would not play a host to the Fed Cup Asia/Oceania Group I event — a prestigious tennis competition — amid growing concerns over the coronavirus that has swept across China and already spread abroad.

At the same time, the Central Asian country has canceled the Asian Water Polo Championship originally scheduled for February 12-16, 2020.

‘‘The interdepartmental commission under the Kazakhstani government adopted a number of additional protective measures to prevent the coronavirus from spreading in Kazakhstan,’’ reads a statement published to the official website of Kazakhstan’s prime minister.

‘’We have rejected an offer made by the International Tennis Federation to switch the qualifying matches of the Federation Cup from the city of Dongguan in China to Nur-Sultan in the period from February 4 to 8, 2020.’’

The Fed Cup Asia/Oceania Group I event featuring China, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, South Korea, and Uzbekistan was scheduled for February 4-8 but was moved out of China amidst the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

‘‘The decision to move the event to a different venue was taken due to increasing travel restrictions in China at the present time and followed consultation with independent security advisors,’’ a statement released by the International Tennis Federation reads.

At the moment, there is no information about where the competition will be held.

First emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in late December, the mysterious deadly coronavirus has already killed 213 people in China and infected nearly 10,000. The new epidemic virus has already spread beyond China, with some 100 cases have been confirmed, including in France, the United States, and Australia, while there have been no deaths outside China. According to a real-time tracking map, nearly 190 people have recovered.

Many countries, including Kazakhstan, have tightened control at airports and border checkpoints over coronavirus fears. Earlier this week, the country has suspended all passenger travels to and from neighboring China and canceled the issue of visas to Chinese citizens.

The country has temporarily shut down the Khorgos International Center for Border Cooperation (ICBC) and all checkpoints along the state border with China to contain the deadly virus.

Last week, Kazakhstan’s Foreign Ministry recommended that Kazakhstanis refrain from traveling to Wuhan. Dozens of students from Kazakhstan are still trapped in Wuhan since the Chinese authorities closed off what is now called ‘‘the epicenter of a pneumonia-like virus.’’ The government of Kazakhstan is now waiting for China’s approval on the evacuation of 61 Kazakhstani students.

https://caspiannews.com/news-detail/...-2020-1-30-49/

Not surprising and it'll be tough finding a venue I think if they are trying to remain in the region. A number of Asian countries have shutdown borders or imposed strict restrictions in recent days.

Can China even get their players, coaching staff and physios to a newly announced location in less than a week's time? Like in the US, there are now strict limits on foreign nationals that have visited China in the last 2 weeks. And there's a 14-day quarantine for those who are allowed to enter that have visited the epicenter, and up to 14-day quarantine for those who have visited other parts. I know US is going to have a more regimented process than some other countries, but this seems like an uphill battle.

And seriously, not just for Fed Cup, I wonder if Chinese players may face travel challenges in general for the next couple of months while they get control of this. I hope no one went home after losing at any of the Aussie tournaments.

The location for the Asia/Oceania tie still says TBD. But Fed Cup photos are starting to pop up from other teams, meaning other teams are arriving at their tie locations. How long til they make an announcement?

Team Ukraine

Vika did make it. I saw some speculation about whether she would or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Vika did make it. I saw some speculation about whether she would or not.
    Interesting. I deleted that picture in case it's not current. It's the one Sabalenka posted, but it could be an old photo and she's just really saying it's Fed Cup week. I thought their outfits were very similar to last year's so very possible. Hopefully she'll post something else and we'll be able to see if Vika is there.

Bianca is supposed to be playing for Canada, but haven't seen a photo of her in Switzerland yet. So gotta wait on that one too, but I'd assume she's there or on the plane since it's being heavily promoted.

Ukraine's picture is posted on multiple players IG's so that one I know is current.

Theyd'd never knowingly promote a player they already know won't be playing!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Team Poland

Last edited by JazzNU; 02-05-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast