Agree Agree:  10
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '20 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Ben Rothenberg
    @BenRothenberg

11m
    Today's Ernests Gulbis update:

Good news in the long term: he says he'd like to play for five more years if he can get back to tour-level.

Bad news in the short term: he arrived to #AusOpen
    with only one pair of shoes and has had trouble finding new pairs in his size.
    This is hysterical. Gulbis, the son of a billionaire, showed up to the tournament with only one pair of shoes.

The most surprising result of the tournament so far: John Isner won a match that had no tie-breaks. GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    The most surprising result of the tournament so far: John Isner won a match that had no tie-breaks. GH
    SW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    This is hysterical. Gulbis, the son of a billionaire, showed up to the tournament with only one pair of shoes.
    I doubt he's still using family money. Has made 7 millions himself in prize money alone.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Has Muguruza always been a mediocre mover laterally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She has got to be the player with the largest differential between movement on clay and grass, and movement on hard courts. As you say, she has a really bad time on hard courts. Legs are too long, I guess.
    (The only long legged player with good movement is Venus. Garbie and KaPlis are the opposite side).
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    She has got to be the player with the largest differential between movement on clay and grass, and movement on hard courts. As you say, she has a really bad time on hard courts. Legs are too long, I guess.
    (The only long legged player with good movement is Venus. Garbie and KaPlis are the opposite side).
    Thank you... I didn't even think of this, that it was surface-based. I knew she isn't as successful on hard courts (despite that Cincy title) and I've never really understood why. Maybe it's movement. It was so obvious against Tomljanovic that she had a hard time getting set and leaning into the ball if she had to take more than a few steps to either side. Many, she didn't even move for. When she was set and leaned into the ball, she was far and away in control. Moves forward pretty well.

You really think it has something to do with long legs?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Talk about low expectations.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Never mind the comedy. Gulbis could be headed for the quarterfinals.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I doubt he's still using family money. Has made 7 millions himself in prize money alone.
    We know how he blew that $7 million

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Never mind the comedy. Gulbis could be headed for the quarterfinals.
    I swear he wasn't doing the exaggerated forehand against Felix... anyone else notice?

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I swear he wasn't doing the exaggerated forehand against Felix... anyone else notice?
    Agreed. Still wasn’t pretty, but not that full ‘about to take flight’ arm spread he used in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    At a fairly recent Slam, I remember he won a match in straight sets with no tiebreaks and it literally the first time he had ever done that in a Slam. What that man's career could have been with a return game.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Isner's return game stinks, but that stat was not even close.

Just checked his grand slam results and he had won 19 matches that did not involve a tiebreak before yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Isner's return game stinks, but that stat was not even close.

Just checked his grand slam results and he had won 19 matches that did not involve a tiebreak before yesterday.
    So that would make matches won at a GS with TBs at 584??
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123