Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Re: '20 AO Doubles & Jnrs Draws & Discussion

Am I the only one who seems unable to find any results for the Mixed??? Hating the stupidity of picking a team that has already lost.

Quote Originally Posted by kandi View Post
    Am I the only one who seems unable to find any results for the Mixed??? Hating the stupidity of picking a team that has already lost.
    They're still playing the first round.

https://ausopen.com/draws#!mixed-doubles

Maria Bondarenko is Russian ... so hopefully no relation, not even distant.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Maria Bondarenko is Russian ... so hopefully no relation, not even distant.
    But that doesn't mean that you can't get Bondarenko'd.

Three French and one Latvian boy in singles semi finals. Girls come from four different countries, but my attention fell to Victoria Jimeney Kasintseva from Andorra. She is the youngest player in the draw at 14. Some background here: https://tennisthreads.net/melbourne-...rls-favourite/

She was actually born there and started to play on the only indoor court in the country. Have we ever had a player from one of the European microstates (Luxembourg doesn't count)?
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Three French and one Latvian boy in singles semi finals. Girls come from four different countries, but my attention fell to Victoria Jimeney Kasintseva from Andorra. She is the youngest player in the draw at 14. Some background here: https://tennisthreads.net/melbourne-...rls-favourite/

She was actually born there and started to play on the only indoor court in the country. Have we ever had a player from one of the European microstates (Luxembourg doesn't count)?
    Off the top of my head suliso no we haven't. There's a young Filipina Alex Eala who is making some noise also. I'm not sure how tall Ms Jimeney Kastseva is but many think Ms Eala, who has won the Petite A's, may be hindered by her height. There are also reports Eala's serve stinks.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post

^ Thanks for that. I love when information about Juniors is shared.
    I hope she does well... but time's running out - she's already 14, and only has one year remaining to make an impact on the pro tour!
    Of course, I hope that no-one rushes her. Cori Gauff is an anomaly these days, and no-one should attempt to copy her trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Off the top of my head suliso no we haven't. There's a young Filipina Alex Eala who is making some noise also. I'm not sure how tall Ms Jimeney Kastseva is but many think Ms Eala, who has won the Petite A's, may be hindered by her height. There are also reports Eala's serve stinks.
    ^ People always say that certain Juniors are 'too short' to make an impact on the pro tour... but the current #1 player in the world is considerably shorter than the majority of her peers, all of whom are ranked below her. Another current top 5 player - Halep - is also short/small.

Strycova... Cibulkova... Schiavone... Vinci... Errani... Henin... Sanchez-Vicario... Coetzer...
    And those ^ are just top 20 players.
    If you can play, you can play - height - or lack of it - is not a handicap if you can play. It is often an advantage, even, in terms of speed and mobility.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12