Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  31
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: '20 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Grief is complicated. I'd never judge someone for grieving in the wrong way, being too happy at a given point, for breaking down in another. Public spotlights certainly don't help. Being a teenager can also be a weird time on top of it all speaking of emotional maturity.
    Agree - with regards to grief being complicated. Since her Dad was part of her team as a professional tennis player, obviously those associations are going to trigger grief. Years after my father died, I can hear a particular song that reminds me of him on the radio and start crying. Sometimes things just hit you at different times.
    My Happy Place

Grief is complicated. I'd never judge someone for grieving in the wrong way, being too happy at a given point, for breaking down in another. Public spotlights certainly don't help. Being a teenager can also be a weird time on top of it all speaking of emotional maturity.
    Word.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post

As for struggling with her father's death. That is certainly possible and would be understandable, but someone needs to talk to her about what she's giving off. You can visit her IG - she hardly seems solemn following his death. She celebrated her birthday like a week or two after his death with a party that seemed like nothing was amiss in her world. It was odd. Could she just be putting on a brave face in public? Sure. But from the partying pictures, the vacation pics, and the holiday pics and her just having fun since her dad passed, she is not giving off that a question about how she's handling things would lead her to break down in tears.

https://www.instagram.com/amandaanisimova/
    Good point. And surely her publicists and the WTA prepared her to address this with some sort of “I would really rather not talk about that right now” - even pre-emptively. Her reaction might have had a lot to do with the tough match loss. I thought the question - if I heard the whole question - was asked pretty gently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I don't disagree that grief is complicated. But I also don't think asking one question given what she has been putting out there is so out of bounds that this journalist's head needs to be called for. And I mean people are gathering up the pitchforks. If she had even once seemed like she was struggling more, I think it would have been a bigger hint that just one question 5 months later, one that doesn't even directly mention her dad, would cause her to break down in tears.

I don't ever remember people being this up in arms about asking a question about the death of a loved one. And I agree that the question was asked gently.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345