Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  32
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Men's Picks & Results Thread - AOSP 2020

The hot weather today ended any chance Gulbis had of beating Monfils, who played surprisingly well (he hit a lucky mishit passing shot that landed on the line to avoid a two-set deficit to Karlovic in his last match). Gulbis looked gassed at 6-5 in the first set.

Club Pro
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by yoort View Post
    Bloop, there goes my grand vision of Ernests claiming the title...
    Gulbis has said that he's playing for 5 more years. If he can figure out how to keep his forehand on Earth, or at least a neighboring planet, then there is hope yet.

I think Fognini (or Fognatura, as I call him, you can google it. ) has a better chance of winning, and then losing, that the person I actually picked, but I just can't stand him for so many reasons (misogynist, homophobic, spoiled) that I just couldn't pick him because it would mean actually rooting for him. I realize that for me this game isn't purely about tennis. Any of you out there feel the same way?

Kevin

Absolutely. I feel the same way about picking from that match tomorrow (Sandgren and his xenophobia, Fogs and his all round nastiness), and bcos of that i decided to stay clear of that one.

But I did pick maga Isner a couple of days ago for the selfish reason of trying to beat the draw, so I'm not really one to stand on principle, sadly.
    I like a lot the crazy bounce

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

I picked Raonic at first because I think heíll win based on the Tsitsipas result, but Iím a Cilic fan and really want him to win. So Iíve decided to focus on the other match instead and picked Fognini. Iím sure I will will regret it and end up hating Sandgren even more than I already do
    Last edited by liam_valid; 01-25-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I took Fabio, but there are no safe paths in this game... I think Raonic will win his match, but with lower probability than Fognini.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    I think Fognini (or Fognatura, as I call him, you can google it. ) has a better chance of winning, and then losing, that the person I actually picked, but I just can't stand him for so many reasons (misogynist, homophobic, spoiled) that I just couldn't pick him because it would mean actually rooting for him. I realize that for me this game isn't purely about tennis. Any of you out there feel the same way?

Kevin
    If you think Fognini is bad you should consider googling his opponent.

Kevin
    Definitely. I have never and will never pick Sandgren or Opelka.

The reason I went out with Querrey is because I couldn't pick Sandgren!

TA
    My Beloved Mother

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Small error in the list: I am shown as having picked Schwartzman when I picked Fucsovic (not that it matters as I don't intend to pick either one of them from now on). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickym63 View Post
    Small error in the list: I am shown as having picked Schwartzman when I picked Fucsovic (not that it matters as I don't intend to pick either one of them from now on). Thanks
    Fixed, thanks for the heads up!

Kevin
    Preach. Same here, except for Isner in the first two rounds, so I can cheer on him to lose soon afterwards (or take me down with him and sweeten the blow). One thing I absolutely can't do, however, is to pick against Rafa. I've quit contests over that

I lost on this exact same day and exact same round in the Australian Open a year ago when I picked Cilic. I won't pick Tennys because of his MAGA background, and I already used Fognini. That doesn't leave me many options for today. Hopefully, Milos will have his big serve working!

Day 7 picks are in:

42 Fognini
    27 Raonic
    8 Cilic
    2 Sandgren
    1 Djokovic
    1 Federer

Started: 81
    Survived: 31*
    Last edited by yoort; 01-26-2020 at 01:44 AM.

It's so symetric - in the worst case only 10 of us will survive and in the best only 10 will depart.
    Roger forever

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast