Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '20 AO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    If he's wearing loose fitting clothing it could be because he wants to appear bigger than he is?
    Itís probably just him continuing to cosplay a 90ís rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Do these designs ever sell?
    This specific collection? Doubtful. In general? Absolutely. Expense is relative. Are you aware of how much athleisure from Lululemon costs?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post

He's channeling his inner Zoolander
    Oh... I assumed a flock of birds must have just flown overhead...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

I can't believe that Sloane lost. Like I can, cause it's Sloane, but she was playing an absolutely wonderful match, broke in the second to serve it out and I was tired, so I went to sleep thinking she'd finish it off. The quality of that second set was high. The woman who was commentating, I couldn't figure out who she was just know it was a former player, said multiple times while I was watching how Sloane must have done a lot of work in the last week because her play in this match was considerably better than the last two tournaments and really the best she'd seen Sloane play in some time. She was raving about her movement and her groundstrokes. I agreed. But she what? Lost confidence while serving it out and then lost interest in the match entirely? A mess.

While she very well may not be in tip top shape right now, I think what she was wearing did her no favors in flattering her body. And Sloane damn near posted a freaking swimsuit calendar in the offseason on her IG, so for the most part, her body isn't much different than in the past even if her fitness isn't where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Do these designs ever sell? There's always a big store set up at the Rogers Cup featuring all kinds of tennis outfits. You look at these Nike/Adidas/Fila dresses designed for Sharapova/Ivanovic/Wozniacki etc. I'd say to my wife "How about this Ivanovic dress?" But in reality, they have all these cutouts, or mesh inserts, or are too sexy or tight for an average woman. They're not made for a recreational player; you need to be rather more statuesque. Plus, I think you'd look rather pretentious wearing this on your local court. And they're expensive too! I think recreational players are much more likely to wear a shirt/skirt combo also--more versatile. You can wear the top to go to the gym or run also, whereas a tennis dress has one use also.
    They must be selling to the fittest players in big tennis markets. I live in Indy, and our club has a big pro shop. It always has all the current collections. But I hardly ever see women wearing them. I think I've seen a league player wearing a dress from a pro collection three or four times. I would wear if it it fit me because I love a lot of the collections, although I wonder if I would feel a little silly. I'm a court rat, and I wear shorts and cotton tanks from TJ Maxx. But I like the cute stuff. It's expensive but a lot of it goes on clearance.

I tend to like the adventurous stuff. I loved Nike's black-and-white skeletons and flowers last spring - and actually saw a guy at the tennis club wearing the polo today.

I like the new Nike stuff right now. I don't love it, but I like the color blocking. I think it's all part of the resurgence in Memphis design, which was the garish, graphic 80s style you might recognize from the Saved by the Bell and PeeWee's Playhouse logos. I don't like Memphis at all, but it is fashionable right now. So it's not coming out of nowhere.

I loved Naomi's dress, and I love the crop jackets and sweatshirts on her. I can't wear them, though!
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I can't believe that Sloane lost. Like I can, cause it's Sloane, but she was playing an absolutely wonderful match, broke in the second to serve it out and I was tired, so I went to sleep thinking she'd finish it off. The quality of that second set was high. The woman who was commentating, I couldn't figure out who she was just know it was a former player, said multiple times while I was watching how Sloane must have done a lot of work in the last week because her play in this match was considerably better than the last two tournaments and really the best she'd seen Sloane play in some time. She was raving about her movement and her groundstrokes. I agreed. But she what? Lost confidence while serving it out and then lost interest in the match entirely? A mess.

While she very well may not be in tip top shape right now, I think what she was wearing did her no favors in flattering her body. And Sloane damn near posted a freaking swimsuit calendar in the offseason on her IG, so for the most part, her body isn't much different than in the past even if her fitness isn't where it should be.
    ^ When I wrote my comment that she appears to be a little heavier and not in as good condition as in the past, and that she was sluggish, the 2nd set was not yet finished. It looked like she just ran out of gas about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way into the 2nd set.
    And then she completely disappeared in the 3rd set, as others have mentioned.
    But I think the deterioration began for Sloane just before Zhang began her comeback in the 2nd set. The way I saw it, Sloane needed just 5 to 10 more minutes of stamina, and she didn't have it.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

I did not see a point of the match but was surprised Sloane came as close to winning as she did.

In terms of squandering immense talent on a weekly basis, she's an all-timer, but at least she'll have the U.S. Open championship to savor for the rest of her life. She should have beaten Halep at Roland Garros for a second one but she was not fit enough to do it.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Singles - First Round

[1] A. Barty (AUS) d. L. Tsurenko (UKR) 57 61 61
    [3] N. Osaka (JPN) d. M. Bouzkova (CZE) 62 64
    [7] P. Kvitova (CZE) d. K. Siniakova (CZE) 61 60
    [8] S. Williams (USA) d. A. Potapova (RUS) 60 63
    [13] P. Martic (CRO) d. C. McHale (USA) 63 60
    [14] S. Kenin (USA) d. [Q] M. Trevisan (ITA) 62 64
    S. Zhang (CHN) d. [24] S. Stephens (USA) 26 75 62
    [25] E. Alexandrova (RUS) d. J. Teichmann (SUI) 64 46 62
    S. Cirstea (ROU) d. [32] B. Strycova (CZE) 62 76(5)
    C. Wozniacki (DEN) d. K. Ahn (USA) 61 63
    J. Goerges (GER) d. V. Kuzmova (SVK) 61 62
    S. Zheng (CHN) d. [Q] A. Kalinskaya (RUS) 63 62
    C. Gauff (USA) d. V. Williams(USA) 76(5) 63
    T. Zidansek (SLO) d. [WC] N. Han (KOR) 63 63
    L. Zhu (CHN) d. V. Golubic (SUI) 46 61 76(5)
    P. Badosa (ESP) d. J. Larsson (SWE) 61 60
    [Q] C. McNally (USA) d. S. Stosur (AUS) 61 64
    [Q] B. Krejcikova (CZE) d. K. Kanepi (EST) 76(3) 26 63
    [Q] A. Li (USA) d. [WC] L. Cabrera (AUS) 76(4) 76(10)

Men's Singles - First Round
    https://ausopen.com/results#!131981

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123