Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2020 Australian Open YCWJ || Scoreboard and Lounge

Here's the place to brag up your losers until they start winning. A pick tracker will be uploaded after the first round is complete, and scoreboards will be posted after each round.
    Go Pack Go!

Re: 2020 Australian Open YCWJ || Scoreboard and Lounge

A pick tracker has been added at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ck-Tracker.htm. Please take a look and make sure I've copied down your picks correctly.
    Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    A pick tracker has been added at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ck-Tracker.htm. Please take a look and make sure I've copied down your picks correctly.
    I will wait a few days to complain about how my picks were incorrectly copied... to no avail. But I shall, nonetheless, try. Because I'm terrible at this.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

In the first round, BHar11 and weefunk came from opposite ends of the alphabet to both score perfect 20s and take an early lead. Scores other than that are so average that there's not much else to say. We'll see if there are more upsets which shake things up in the coming rounds.

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Go Pack Go!

Jeff in TX leapfrogged the previous round's leaders to make it to the top of the second round scoreboard with 37. Weefunk and BHar11 are now one and three points behind, respectively.

More interesting to some of us who aren't so good at picking losers is that the lowest score at this point is 15. That's a pretty high bottom score overall. I don't think the bottom score has ever reached 20. We shall see if all of us can keep it up in the third round.

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Go Pack Go!

While I've been watching tennis, some of it with very disappointing results, I scored the picks we made this time for YCWJ. I have compiled the numbers of times each player was picked. Then, I gave each player points based on the system we use to score YCWJ. A player who was a number 1 pick gets 4 points, a number 2 pick gets 3 points, a number 3 pick gets 2 points, and a number 4 pick gets 1 point. The totals will be listed. We had 36 people who made picks.

The big winner for men was Safwat, who was picked by 15 people and got 37 points. The big winner for women was Sorribes Torno, who was picked by 13 people and got 34 points.

A point of interest was that certain players seem to inspire strong feelings from those who pick them, while others seem to be a WTH pick. For example of the weak feelings, Stebe was picked by 8 people, but no one had him higher than a number 3 pick, so he got 13 points. For strong feelings, Karlovic was picked by 6 people, but 4 of them had him as their number 1. He therefore had 19 points. Moutet, who had the same number of picks (6), only got 9 points, since 4 of his were number 4 picks. On the women's side, some of us apparently felt pretty strongly about Paolini's chances...she was picked on 7 ballots, and she was a number 1 or 2 pick on all 7, to rack up 24 points.

I was surprised at the very large numbers of different picks. 45 men and 49 women were named on a least one ballot.

The players names are followed by 2 numbers. The first number is the number of players who picked, and the 2nd number is the points, calculated as above. For the MEN:

Safwat 15 37
    Kwon 11 33
    Donskoy 11 28
    Duckworth 10 26
    Stebe 8 13
    Karlovic 6 19
    Griekspoor 6 18
    Moutet 6 9
    Benchetrit 4 14
    Smith 4 12
    Norrie 4 10
    Ivashka 4 8
    Gulbis 4 7
    Mayer 4 7
    Polmans 3 6
    Gaston 3 6
    Lu 2 8
    Bolt 2 8
    Bublik 2 7
    Uchiyama 2 7
    Travaglia 2 6
    Thompson 2 6
    Cuevas 2 5
    Cecchinato 2 5
    Berankis 2 5
    Tabilo 2 4
    Galan Riveros 2 2
    Pospisil 1 4
    Gerasimov 1 4
    Ramos 1 4
    Popyrin 1 3
    Edmund 1 3
    O'Connell 1 3
    Barrere 1 3
    Seppi 1 3
    Carballes Baena 1 3
    Ymer 1 2
    Garin 1 2
    Trungelliti 1 2
    Chardy 1 2
    Halys 1 1
    Purcell 1 1
    Andujar 1 1
    Verdasco 1 1
    Dellien 1 1

I'll list the women in a separate post. GH

I don't know why it does this, but I had spaced the numbers for the men so that the number were in straight columns to the right of the names. Apparently I didn't do that right. Again the names will be followed by 2 numbers. The first number is the number of players who picked each player, followed by the points, calculated as mentioned in the previous note. Anyway....

The picks of WOMEN:

Sorribes Torno 13 34
    Krejcikova 9 24
    Stosur 9 22
    Paolini 7 24
    Rodionova 6 17
    Maria 6 16
    Brengle 6 13
    Stojanovic 5 15
    Hon 5 12
    Hibino 5 11
    Bellis 4 10
    McNally 4 9
    Cabrera 4 8
    Samsonova 3 10
    Kr. Pliskova 3 10
    Cornet 3 9
    Teichman 3 9
    Rogers 3 8
    Minnen 3 6
    Tomljanovic 3 4
    Kovinic 2 7
    Golubic 2 6
    Juvan 2 5
    Sharma 2 5
    McHale 2 5
    Niculescu 2 5
    Swiatek 2 5
    Kanepi 2 4
    Lottner 2 3
    Bondarenko 2 3
    Rus 2 3
    Davis 1 4
    Dart 1 4
    Han 1 4
    Stephens 1 3
    Cocciaretto 1 3
    Kuzmova 1 3
    Flipkens 1 2
    Fernandez 1 2
    Sharapova 1 2
    Kozlova 1 2
    Diatchenko 1 2
    Suarez Navarro 1 1
    Zhu 1 1
    Bencic 1 1
    Sasnovich 1 1
    Boulter 1 1
    Garcia 1 1
    Y. Wang 1 1

I don't know how interested in this the other YCWJ players will be. For me, this showed me a fair amount about the strategy that we, as a group, seem to use. Of course, never having come close to winning this, I'm sure I still have no idea how to pick these most effectively.

GH

My strategy: pick players that will play against seeded players in the first round, so I would get 20 points. Pick not very high seeded players, otherwise you get 0 points in the second round. So stick to seeded players in the 9-16 category.
    You get 20 points in the first round, you have a good chance.
    See my score. See how that backfired, terribly.
    Missing winter...

For me, this showed me a fair amount about the strategy that we, as a group, seem to use.
    Personally, my "strategy" is pretty much to point randomly at the draw somewhere far away from the top seeds. I put a little more thought into it on the women's side (looking at likely 2R/3R opponents), but rarely much. On the men's side, I basically just look for players I've never heard of.

So, given my absolute lack of success in this contest over a decade of entering, I have tried various strategies with equal success. I loved Ponchi's comment about using those playing seeded players. One time, I picked almost exactly that way. But I was trying to pick, from those players ranked about 9-16, those I thought would lose in the 2nd round based on some recent result or some other criterion that seemed good that night, and pick their opponent for the first round for YCWJ. Those players, who I thought would get me off to a very good start, decided to lose one round too early, and I was about halfway down the field after one round, and all but out of picks after 2 rounds.

Then there was the time I put all the names in a hat except the top 8 seeds (I told about this in the YCWJ thread). So it was random, omitting those top 8. This strategy was about as effective as the one just above. But after it was over, I had finished toward the bottom.

Weirdly, for all of my lack of success, I have yet to finish dead last in YCWJ. I think I've been next-to-the-last about 5 times.

GH

P.S. to dollymix.....That "look for players I've never heard of" strategy has often been a big part of my strategy....also a failure.

You should subtract my WTA picks from your stats... I was running out of time and trying to get my picks in before the deadline, so they were almost random.

"My WTA picks were almost random" weefunk took the lead back in the third round and is the first to hit 50 for this contest. Jeff in TX fell off a bit, but is still in second with 46. GlennHarman had the second best round, but is still 9 points behind our leader.

Cainim is at the opposite end of the scoreboard from last year's AO edition. They secured a share of the wooden spoon for the contest with a not-so-bad 18. Ptmcmahon will also claim his share if Medvedev beats Wawrinka in the fourth round.

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Go Pack Go!

Thanks for the analysis, Glenn!
    Go Pack Go!

Ooh ... a potential Amits/YCWJ double last!

The wave of women's upsets washed me out on the women's side. Grrr!
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast