Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 2020 Australian Open YCWJ || Scoreboard and Lounge

Weefunk expanded their lead to 6 points in the fourth round, making it up to 58 points. BHar11 and Jeff in TX are tied for second with 52, but GlennHarman had the highest score of the round with 9 to make it up to fourth.

With Wawrinka's win, Cainim is our only wooden spoon winner. Sorry for denying you the double spoon, ptmcmahon!

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Go Pack Go!

I wonder if anyone would know this for sure.....But, I feel almost certain that Cainim's score of 18 points is the highest score for a wooden spoon winner ever. It seems to me that the spoon is usually won with a single-digit number of points, but when it has been a double digit number, it seems certain that it was lower than 18. I have actually failed to win the spoon with a single-digit number before.

It is great fun to be toward the top in this contest for a huge change, since it really is my favorite. There is something about the whole concept of YCWJ that really fits my way of watching the tournament. I pay close attention to it even if I'm out of it and finishing next to last.

GH

So the best worst at picking the worst?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

"As a 3-time champ of this event, I'm so disappointed in myself at doing so well and being eliminated so soon. Yes - the others are hanging in there, but let's be honest, this is all on my shoulders. It's just so unprofessional. I just can't be winning like that. I can lose better than that. I'm a better loser than that ..."

[from PeterSkan's YCWJ Press Conference after being eliminated in the 4th round]

TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    "As a 3-time champ of this event, I'm so disappointed in myself at doing so well and being eliminated so soon. Yes - the others are hanging in there, but let's be honest, this is all on my shoulders. It's just so unprofessional. I just can't be winning like that. I can lose better than that. I'm a better loser than that ..."

[from PeterSkan's YCWJ Press Conference after being eliminated in the 4th round]

Your profile shows that you have 4 wooden spoons, so you're mistaken! You're a 4-time champ.

TA
    My Beloved Mother

Quote Originally Posted by TennisAnyone74 View Post
    Your profile shows that you have 4 wooden spoons, so you're mistaken! You're a 4-time champ.

TA
    See - I can't even get that right ...

Or maybe that's a good thing. I'll ask RandomSkan. He'll know!
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Given my usual success at YCWJ, I can't believe I'm even in it to this point. But here is what I think is the situation:

Most scenarios give the win to Wee at this point. Jeff, while still looking to be in it, doesn't appear to have a path to the win, due to having similar picks left to Wee.

I think there is exactly one scenario where I can win: Federer must lose to Djokovic (very likely based on what I've seen) and then Djokovic must lose in the final (much less likely). Also, Kenin must win her semi. If my math is correct, given the bonus points for winning it, and with that being my number 1 men's thread, I think that puts me a bit ahead of Wee. There are all sorts of scenarios left by which Wee wins.

I am by no means sure I've calculated this correctly. But it looks right. GH
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 01-29-2020 at 05:13 AM. Reason: rechecked my math and wording

The WTA chaos did me in. But it is nice to be near the top of the scoreboard. That being said, you have had a great tourney GH. Kudos.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Weefunk still leads through the quarterfinals and is in by far the best position to win. I'll just go through the scenarios where they don't win:

If Djokovic loses in the men's final and someone other than Barty loses in the women's final, GlennHarman will be the winner.

If Zverev loses to Djokovic in the men's final and Kenin beats Barty, Jeff in TX will tie weefunk.

This means that there's theoretically a good chance that, by the end of today, weefunk will have already clinched.

Congratulations to us as well on collectively picking all of the men's semifinalists and two of the women's ones.

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 01-29-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

This must be some parallel universe. I just got a medal in the women's SP and I still have an outside (very outside in my opinion) shot at this. Kenin's victory over Barty kept both me and Jeff in the chase for something here. But there are far more outcomes that favor Wee. Great fun! GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    This must be some parallel universe. I just got a medal in the women's SP and I still have an outside (very outside in my opinion) shot at this. Kenin's victory over Barty kept both me and Jeff in the chase for something here. But there are far more outcomes that favor Wee. Great fun! GH
    Yes, Kenin let me down by winning. On the other hand, I only got as far as I did with that pick because Serena lost in the 3rd round, and Q. Wang followed up her blockbuster win by immediately losing.

Good luck to all of us still in the running! I'm rooting for Djokovic to take it all :-)

So now, I'm rooting for Thiem to take it all. (actually, I would be anyway....not a Djokovic fan at all) I can only finish first or third in this contest, and it's hard to like my chances for first, depending as they do on a really big upset in the final.

GH

Weefunk continues to lead through the semifinals, but there is still a chance for them to be overtaken. GlennHarman will be the champion if Thiem upsets Djokovic in the men's final. Otherwise weefunk will hold on.

If Kenin completes her unlikely run, Monica Niculescu, who was picked by Drop-shot, will be the women's wooden spoon winner. If Muguruza wins, Magda Linette, who no one took, will hold the dubious honor. Mohamed Safwat, who was held by 15 contestants, will be the men's wooden spoon winner if Thiem wins. If Djokovic does, the boobie prize goes to Hugo Gaston, who was picked by three contestants.

Pick Tracker
    Scoreboard
    Go Pack Go!

As in my lists of picks up-thread, Safwat was picked by more of us than any other player. It would be very poetic if he then wins the wooden spoon. (needless to say, I am in no way feeling that way because that result would also make me win this contest).

In some thread someone gave Thiem a 20% chance of winning. I might even say his chance is less than that. Still, I am delighted to be in this competition going into the men's final....not something I was expecting.

GH

Congrats, Weefunk!!! When Thiem went up 2 sets to 1, I thought I had a good chance, but it was never to be. I am delighted to have been in this contest to the last day.

I think I'm beginning to see what it takes to win this. I think the best plan is this: One needs to score very high in the first 2 rounds, and then hold on as everyone drops by the wayside. A perfect first round and a near perfect 2nd round will help you go far. So a great strategy would be to pick ones you really think will go 2 rounds and then see what happens.

On the other hand, one can also win by picking the wooden spoon winners and getting all those bonus points at the end. This is harder and requires a bit of luck along the way.

Thanks to Tog and the other organizers. This is always great fun. GH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast