Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tennis Doping

Re: Tennis Doping

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    When's the last time someone was found guilty but serves no suspension? Seems like it's a pretty rare result. Though he technically already served a costly penalty, but clearly it could've been worse.
    Reading the details the ITF, WADA, and every other alphabet anti doping agency did a lot of research and checking before deciding not to penalize Farah. Ranchers, industry experts and medical personnel were consulted and provided detailed information regarding the presence of steroids in meat from Colombia. Prior to this case there was a warning issued advising athletes to avoid eating meat from Colombia.

I was a bit surprised at the no suspension but after reading all the work that Farah and everyone else put into this the decision is the right one.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

There was some extra highlighting done on Twitter. If I read it correctly, I think that he was tested 3 times in one week (bizarre), and only tested positive for a minuscule amount on the middle one. It was also during the off season, so I think that's why they didn't have to ban him for a few months around that time to cover any accidental advantage gained.

I'm not criticizing the decision, I'm saying it's a rare outcome. They believed Cilic's story as well and they still suspended him for I think it was 9 months, which he appealed again and got reduced further. That's why I'm surprised by Farah, I think it's rare to be found guilty, but serve no sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I'm not criticizing the decision, I'm saying it's a rare outcome. They believed Cilic's story as well and they still suspended him for I think it was 9 months, which he appealed again and got reduced further. That's why I'm surprised by Farah, I think it's rare to be found guilty, but serve no sentence.
    I think it's unheard of. Has anyone gotten zero punishment?

I agree with Charlie. "Guilty" "No punishment"

Those 2 things should not co-exist in a doping decision. Either they should acquit (and maybe there really is a reason to do so based on the evidence), or they should punish in some way. They could make a short ban from play (for instance, I would call one month very short). But guilty and no punishment does not make sense, given the high stakes that exist in sports doping.

GH

Guess Farah punishment was not playing AO where he and Cabal were probably the favorites to win
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Who was tested the most? Were the tests in and/or out of competition. This is the ITF's breakdown

https://antidoping.itftennis.com/med...980/315980.pdf

NOTE: This is the full list. Breakouts are in posts 23 and 24 below
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Oleg S.@AnnaK_4ever

Players with 15+ tests* in each of 2018 and 2019.

Men and women. Total, in-competition and out-of-competition.

(* international level testing; numbers do not include tests that may have been carried out on national level)

― Frank Zappa

Oleg S.
    @AnnaK_4ever

Most tested American players in the last two years: ITF + USADA tests

― Frank Zappa

Not that I had really thought about it...But, these charts showed me something that surprised me greatly. I had no idea the players were being tested with that sort of frequency. That must become really annoying after a while. Still, I don't disagree with it being done that much.

GH

I wonder how many "normal" people would test positive for any substance, seeing how supplements are such a big business.
    I eat very little red meat but, since I am in Colombia, I gather I would test positive for something.
    There goes my Wimbledon title in 2021. Damn!
    Missing winter...

Anyone else remember how Serena is living in an unending nightmare of being tested a billion times more than anyone else? Maybe not cracking the top 60 will be a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I wonder how many "normal" people would test positive for any substance
    What uhhhh substances are we testing for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12