Agree Agree:  22
Likes Likes:  31
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: ATP WTA GS AusOpen 1/20-2/3 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Firstly, there should be a distinction between the USA, Canada, and Mexico, rather than lump the three together as 'North America'.
    Secondly, Russia should have its own distinction. In the stats above, is Russia under 'Europe', or 'Asia'?
    Thirdly, Europe should be divided into sections - Scandinavia, Great Britain, etc. Same with Asia and South America.
    They have a list by individual countries as well so you can create your own system. Currently there are no tour level tennis players from Mexico and of course Russia is in Europe. Sharapova might be the only top level Russian player to be born in the Asian part of the country. Or at least I haven't noticed any others.
    Roger forever

ATP has been so much more predictable in this tournament. Seven top 10 men have reached the round of 16, only four women have accomplished the same.
    Roger forever

Coronavirus spreads in Australia: THREE cases are confirmed in New South Wales as a Melbourne man is quarantined after testing positive to deadly Chinese disease

A man has been quarantined in Melbourne after contracting coronavirus
    The man travelled to Australia alone from Wuhan, via Guangzhou, on January 19
    He initially showed no symptoms, but eventually became ill when in Melbourne
    It comes as authorities say there are two suspected cases in New South Wales
    The Chinese-national is now isolated at Monash Medical Centre in Clayton
    Over 40 people have died in China, and 1,000 have been affected globally

By ALANA MAZZONI and ALISHA ROUSE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS
    PUBLISHED: 20:13 EST, 24 January 2020 | UPDATED: 02:38 EST, 25 January 2020

A Chinese national in his 50s has been quarantined in Melbourne after contracting the deadly coronavirus, with two more cases probable cases in New South Wales.

It comes as Prime Minister Scott Morrison admitted Australian authorities expected more people would be struck down with the virus in coming weeks.

The man, who initially showed no symptoms of the virus, travelled to Australia on China Southern Airlines from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.

It's the first confirmed case in Australia, as the dangerous virus spreads round the globe and threatens to become a global pandemic.

There are more than 900 cases worldwide, with two cases confirmed in France, two in America and now one in Australia

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos told reporters on Saturday that the man had been in Wuhan - the epicentre of the outbreak - for two weeks by himself.

'He was confirmed as positive after a series of tests early this morning,' Ms Mikakos said on Saturday.

Ms Mikakos said it was 'possible' the man wasn't contagious while on board as he didn't start showing symptoms until after arriving in Melbourne.

'We are now in the process of making contact with all the other passengers [on the flight],' she said.

In Queensland six people - including three from the Gold Coast - were being assessed for the virus, five of whom have no been given the all-clear.

Of six people being assessed in NSW, two are 'probable' cases of novel coronavirus, the state's health authority confirmed on Saturday.

NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said the two men, aged between 30 and 60, were not particularly unwell but were being kept in hospital.

Both had travelled to China recently.

'As far as I know, they were not on the same flight,' Dr Chand said.

'The risk of transmission is still very, very low. But we felt it was prudent to take this precautionary approach.'

They are two of six people being assessed in NSW, with two others cleared on Friday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade overnight raised the level of travel advice for Wuhan and Hubei province to 'do not travel'.

The disease is listed as having 'pandemic potential', allowing border measures to be enhanced.

'The confirmation today by Victorian authorities of the coronavirus case was a matter that had been anticipated,' Mr Morrison said.

'The Australian government is of course taking this issue incredibly seriously.Ē

Passengers arriving on all flights from China are being stopped and given health information about the virus, its symptoms and what to do if they become unwell.

Australia's Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said it was important for people arriving from Wuhan - and those in close contact with them - to monitor for symptoms including fever, cough, sore throat, vomiting and difficulty breathing.

Experts are still learning about the virus.

'We don't know exactly how long symptoms take to show after a person has been infected but there is an incubation period and some patients will have very mild symptoms,' Prof Murphy said.

China has confirmed 41 deaths from the virus, while more than 1,000 people are now estimated to have been affected worldwide. Cases have been confirmed in 10 countries.

'We're confident that outside the major epicentre of China there is not yet evidence of significant, or any, human to human spread,' Prof Murphy said.

Federal and state chief medical officers held joint discussions on Saturday with health ministers expected to do the same.

Prime Minister Morrison said the confirmation of a case in Australia had been anticipated and procedures are in place to manage the situation.

'I'd urge Australians to go about their day, go about their business in the knowledge that the professionals and the experts are there to provide the support that is needed in times like this are on the job and they're getting about it to keep you and your families safe,' he said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tter_share-top
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    ATP has been so much more predictable in this tournament. Seven top 10 men have reached the round of 16, only four women have accomplished the same.
    It was really strange. The top 10 women seeds all made the 3rd round for the first time since 2012. Then 6 of them lost.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Corona virus

I'm reeeeeeally regretting reading The Hot Zone. Ignorance was bliss!

I read this today.
    Kyrgios called the chair umpire "stupid" in the Kachanov match. Yes, the chair was wrong. Kirgyos did the right thing of taking a towel that had his blood in it to the sides himself, as opposed to giving it to a ball-kid. But again, why the rudeness? Why reaching immediately for "stupid"?
    This has happened by now a few times in the tour (blooded towels) and must be addressed by the tour. And the chair umpires must be taught how to handle these situations.
    But the offensive language to the chair also has to stop. A list must be drawn, with words that cannot be used. By both chair and players. It can't be that difficult.
    Missing winter...

Agree very strongly with Ponchi. I am VERY tired of the horrendous behavior on the courts. And I include all of the racket smashing. I will sing this song again: The punishments for this behavior are clearly too light if the behavior continues unabated.

GH

Racket smashing is fun
    Roger forever

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I read this today.
    Kyrgios called the chair umpire "stupid" in the Kachanov match. Yes, the chair was wrong. Kirgyos did the right thing of taking a towel that had his blood in it to the sides himself, as opposed to giving it to a ball-kid. But again, why the rudeness? Why reaching immediately for "stupid"?
    This has happened by now a few times in the tour (blooded towels) and must be addressed by the tour. And the chair umpires must be taught how to handle these situations.
    But the offensive language to the chair also has to stop. A list must be drawn, with words that cannot be used. By both chair and players. It can't be that difficult.
    I watched this as it happened and thought exactly the same. Any rational person would show their hand and explain to the umpire the bloody hand. Kyrgios didnít even consider that though, his first natural instinct is to go on the offensive and attack the ump. Iíve said this before but any person acts this way in their workplace would have been fired long ago-the ATP should fire this clown and chuck him off the tour

Back to NICE news. It has been such a long time since I really don't mind who wins the tournament in the WTA. Not a single player that I dislike, and several I like.
    Now, on the ATP: C'mon, Stan! And C'mon Milos!
    Missing winter...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

While I understand those who have no tolerance for certain behaviours on-court - and I, myself, am in no way a fan of Kyrgios' adolescent behaviour -... I also fear that severely punishing this behaviour sends the message that everyone must be the same; that homogenized is better than variety.

Contrasts in life are natural. That's why I loved the tennis of the '70s and '80s, where we had the contrasts of baseline vs. serve-and-volley. It was wonderful. We also had the contrasts in character - the stoic, robot-like Lendl, the fiery, tempermental McEnroe, the cool-as-ice Borg, the childish Connors... We need contrasts in life - especially within the characters of people. Individualism is a positive thing. It's how we differentiate and distinguish people. Individual character is a good - and necessary - thing.

I like and admire the behaviour of Nadal and Federer. They are wonderful ambassadors for the game. I don't like Kyrgios' behaviour, and I hope he grows up - but I am glad in a way that he is like that, as he offers a contrast to those who behave 'well'. And right now in his life, that is his unique, individual character - and so he should be who he is - while making an effort to mature. But he shouldn't be forced to do it by rules.
    Naturally, there need to be rules which punish excessive behaviour, as you can't allow everything. But the rules should take into account the importance of not stifling one's individual character.

I don't want rules which confine and stifle individual character, and which effectively force people to all behave in a similar way. I don't want that in life, or in tennis, as it's not healthy.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456