Agree Agree:  42
Likes Likes:  56
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: ATP WTA GS AusOpen 1/20-2/3 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Serious question: If Medvedev or Tsisipas win the tournament, will you be totally surprised? I don't expect them to win it, but there is no way I place a bet on something like "there is no way they can win it".
    It has to happen someday, and Medvedev has the mentality, Tsisipas the game. A few breaks here and there, and why not?
    I'm wondering what the status is on Djokovic's elbow. It's obviously not some gigantic issue, but over the course of 7 matches, maybe there will be one where he isn't feeling 100%. If he has an off day, I'd put Nadal as the favorite, but I see no reason why Medvedev, Tsistsipas, and even Thiem shouldn't be in the next tier down with Federer.

Especially with the Olympics crowding the schedule, I think it's more likely than not that someone outside the Big Three wins a big one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Serious question: If Medvedev or Tsisipas win the tournament, will you be totally surprised? I don't expect them to win it, but there is no way I place a bet on something like "there is no way they can win it".
    It has to happen someday, and Medvedev has the mentality, Tsisipas the game. A few breaks here and there, and why not?
    I'd be a bit surprised given how heavy a favorite Nole is here, but not very surprised. Obviously a younger player will win a Slam fairly soon.
    Roger forever

ATP WTA GS AusOpen 1/20-2/3 2020

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Actually I meant this year not necessarily this tournament, but of course that's not completely out of the question either.
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tsitsipas wins a Slam sometime this year. He is building toward it with Aussie semi and winning the WTF last year, getting more experience with best of 5.

If I had to guess, though, I’d say Medvedev is more likely to win one first. I think he challenges Nadal and Djokovic more consistently and seems more mature emotionally in a close match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

ATP WTA GS AusOpen 1/20-2/3 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm wondering what the status is on Djokovic's elbow. It's obviously not some gigantic issue, but over the course of 7 matches, maybe there will be one where he isn't feeling 100%. If he has an off day, I'd put Nadal as the favorite, but I see no reason why Medvedev, Tsistsipas, and even Thiem shouldn't be in the next tier down with Federer.
    Yeah, no one is talking about the elbow. Held up okay in the ATP Cup, I guess. I think he had treatment on court once. Definitely could be a problem if it flares up, but his draw to the quarters is pretty easy.

I hesitate to call Nadal the second favorite because of his history here and the playing conditions. They say the ball isn’t sitting up. Court is playing fast but balls (new type this year) fluff up after a few games and slow down, but don’t sit up. Not sure how that compares to Arthur Ashe. I think Fed would have the edge in a final, but also that Medvedev would be right there with Nadal in a semi.

Wonder about Wawrinka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Alicia Muling
    @AliciaMuling9
    Amazing view of the Yarra River this morning, following last night’s heavy rain & dust storm

Dust storm? Like the ones in the Middle East and Northern Africa? I had no idea there was a desert anywhere near Melbourne.

Video of the weather in Australia including the dust storms.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...h-floods-video
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Video of the weather in Australia including the dust storms.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...h-floods-video
    Thanks. I just had no idea they had anything close enough by to cause that to happen in Melbourne.

FYI, the AO website and app may or may not contain an accurate scoreline. Don't rely on it.

So to recap yet again, AO stats suck and Infosys is not remotely in the same ballpark as IBM and suggesting they are is a freaking joke.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Alicia Muling
    @AliciaMuling9
    Amazing view of the Yarra River this morning, following last night’s heavy rain & dust storm

^ That's the river's tribute to fellow Major Roland Garros...
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ That's the river's tribute to fellow Major Roland Garros...
    Is that the Yarra, which AO winners have to jump into per tradition? Let's hope it looks better in a 9 days.

Fun fact: 5 American men into the 3rd round of a grand slam for the first time since the 2012 USO
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I watched Zverev vs Gerasimov last night and our conversation here about when a Next Gen player will win his first Slam came to mind.

Zverev was up in the third set and looked to be coasting when Gerasimov broke him when he was serving for the match. He was incredulous. It looked as if Sascha had checked out of the match and was in the ice bath already. He came back to win but it's a lapse like that - even the best lose focus at times - that make me think he's at least a year or two away.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Wikipedia conveniently breaks down participants (singles main draw) by regions

WTA: Europe 83, North America 23, Asia 14, Oceania 7, Africa 1. South America 0

ATP: Europe 77, North America 16, South America 12, Oceania 11, Asia 9, Africa 3
    Roger forever

That 0 next to S. America is sad.
    But we are still a region infatuated with beauty pageants. Maybe a far fetched connection but the reason why Sabatini was so famous, as well as Dulko, was fairly obvious.
    Missing winter...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Wikipedia conveniently breaks down participants (singles main draw) by regions

WTA: Europe 83, North America 23, Asia 14, Oceania 7, Africa 1. South America 0

ATP: Europe 77, North America 16, South America 12, Oceania 11, Asia 9, Africa 3
    ^ That's a much too general breakdown. Every country has its own distinct tennis nurturing system, and so shouldn't be lumped in together with other countries.
    While I realize that breaking it up to where every represented country is listed independently might be too painstaking, a less general breakdown would be nice.

Firstly, there should be a distinction between the USA, Canada, and Mexico, rather than lump the three together as 'North America'.
    Secondly, Russia should have its own distinction. In the stats above, is Russia under 'Europe', or 'Asia'?
    Thirdly, Europe should be at least divided into sections - Scandinavia, Great Britain, etc. Same with Asia and South America.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 01-24-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast