Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: '20 Oscars Noms Awards & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Literally no one knows. Some are like, because he's an Oscar winner who never got to perform his song, and it's like that in no way comes close to explaining why he's performing it in 2020. It's as random as it gets. Maybe we'll get an explanation later on that makes more sense, but I doubt there's sense to be made of this.
    I wonder if something else fell through... but they should have still explained it! Jeez.

Honestly, I’m really enjoying this telecast. They obviously heard the message about diversity and some of their attempts are kinda clumsy, but it’s been pretty fun. I wonder if they might get rid of the host forever. It kinda works.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Honestly, I’m really enjoying this telecast. They obviously heard the message about diversity and some of their attempts are kinda clumsy, but it’s been pretty fun. I wonder if they might get rid of the host forever. It kinda works.
    I don't mind no host but the introducing people introducing people I find really pointless.

Best Oscars ever

To think I was considering skipping watching. I had fun. It’s a tad unbelievable that the people in that room embraced the themes and messages of Parasite but so many more people are gonna see it now. It’s kind of exciting
    Last edited by munchin; 02-09-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I enjoyed the show. I also got 21/24 predictions right over on Gold Derby. Missed director, though.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    They didn't hear anything. They're doing what they've done in the past when they've gotten backlash. Invite people to the audience, to present, and to perform to cover for the lack of diverse nominees. Glad you enjoyed the show and found it more diverse, but one doesn't make up for the other.

Part of Brad Pitt's acceptance speech

Scott Dworkin
    @funder

"They told me I only have 45 seconds up here, which is 45 seconds more than the Senate gave John Bolton this week. I’m thinking maybe Quentin does a movie about it, in the end, the adults do the right thing." Brad Pitt #Oscars
    Variety
    @Variety

Brad Pitt on why he chose to get political in his acceptance speech: “I was really disappointed with this week… I don’t think we should let it slide and I’m very serious about that” #Oscars

This is long, but good and informative. It goes over the more diverse night and why that came about and highlighting some of the breakthroughs of the night.

Historic 'Parasite' Win Caps an Oscars Show Dedicated to Inclusion

by Piya Sinha-Roy

As the Oscars ushered in yet another year of mostly white male nominees, a series of surprise wins helped to redefine the narrative of the Academy as South Korean thriller Parasite took home four Oscars, including the top accolades for best picture and director in a night where inclusion was at the core of the show.

Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite was the upset in key categories, winning the stacked best director category, original screenplay and the newly named best international feature. “I’m so happy to be the first recipient under the new name. I applaud and support the new direction that this change symbolizes,” Bong said on stage.

In the 92-year history of the Oscars, Parasite became the first foreign-language film to win best picture, an astounding achievement for a $11 million Korean-language theatrical film that grew through word-of-mouth since its Palme d'Or win at the Cannes Film Festival in May (it has grossed over $167 million worldwide).

Rare is it for a film to win best picture without any individual acting nominations, but after Parasite won the best ensemble prize from the Screen Actors Guild awards last month, its chances looked a little brighter. Still, it was Sam Mendes' World War I drama 1917 that went into Sunday as the presumed winner of the picture and directing categories.

Backstage after winning his Oscar, Bong said, “I think naturally there will come a day when a foreign-language film or not, it won’t really matter.”

The Oscars came under fire in 2016 when all 20 of its acting nominees were white actors for two consecutive years, forcing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to pledge to double its female and minority memberships by this year. While the Academy is close to meeting its goals, a recent Hollywood Reporter study revealed that 84 percent of the organization is white.

This year, the Oscars came dangerously close to repeating #OscarsSoWhite when Harriet lead Cynthia Erivo was the only actor of color nominated across the four acting categories.

It was no mistake that first-time Oscar producers Lynette Howell Taylor and Stephanie Allain kicked the show off with Janelle Monae singing a lively Mister Rogers-style musical number that quickly became an opportunity to showcase diverse talent, including Billy Porter. “It’s time to come alive, because the Oscars is so white,” she sang, surrounded by black dancers dressed as characters from Joker, Dolemite Is My Name, Little Women, Midsommar and Us.

"Tonight we celebrate all the amazing talent in this room," Monae said during her performance. "We celebrate all the women who directed phenomenal films. And I'm so proud to stand here as a black queer artist telling stories. Happy Black History Month!"

From there, Chris Rock and Steve Martin picked up the mantle to make more pointed barbs about the lack of female directors and diverse acting nominees. “Cynthia [Erivo] did such a great job in Harriet hiding black people that the Academy got her to hide all the black nominees! Cynthia, is Eddie Murphy under this stage?” Rock quipped. Martin continued: “Back in 1929 there were no black acting nominees,” to which Rock replied, “And now in 2020 we got one!”

And yet, Sunday saw some key diverse wins. New Zealand's Taika Waititi became the first indigenous filmmaker to win an Oscar, picking up best adapted screenplay for his Nazi satire Jojo Rabbit.

“This is dedicated to all the indigenous kids around the world that want to do art, dance and write stories. We are the original storytellers and we can make it up here as well,” Waititi said on stage.

Director Matthew A. Cherry, whose Hair Love (a story of a black father learning to do his daughter’s hair) won animated short film, said the film was “done because we wanted to see more representation in animation and to normalize black hair.” He added a remark about the important of making the Crown Act, which bans discrimination against black students and employees with natural hairstyles, legal across the nation (California became the first state to legalize it last year).

Presenters invited on stage on Sunday night included talent of color such as Mindy Kaling, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Oscar Isaac, Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, Kelly Marie Tran and Anthony Ramos. Erivo also performed her Oscar-nominated song from Harriet.

Actor and singer Utkarsh Ambudkar, who was on Broadway’s Freestyle Love Supreme show and in the upcoming Mulan, also rapped about inclusion on stage as he came on halfway to recap the show and mention Parasite and Waititi’s wins: “Been a long time, trying to be color blind, what you see right in front of you is a sign of the times.”

Todd Phillips' DC antihero drama Joker led all the nominees on Sunday with 11 nods. It landed two wins: Joaquin Phoenix for best actor and Hildur Gudnadottir won best original score.

Martin Scorsese's mob epic The Irishman, Quentin Tarantino's nostalgic Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Sam Mendes' World War I saga 1917 tied for 10 nominations including the best picture race, where they were bested by Parasite. The Irishman went home empty-handed, while 1917 won three Oscars and Once Upon a Time won two.

Women were notably missing from most of the categories, specifically in directing, where filmmakers such as The Farewell's Lulu Wang, Honey Boy's Alma Har'el and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood's Marielle Heller were all snubbed from the nominations.

Mark Ruffalo made a point to mention while presenting the documentary feature category that four of the nominated films featured female directors or co-directors. Natalie Portman, who called out the “all-male nominees” at the Golden Globes two years ago, made a subtle statement wearing a cape embroidered with the names of 2019’s female directors.

“All women are superheroes,” Sigourney Weaver said as she was flanked by Wonder Woman’s Gal Gadot and Captain Marvel’s Brie Larson as they introduced the musical presentation for original score, which was conducted by a female conductor for the first time.

Gudnadottir became the first solo female to win the original score category for Joker, and said: "To the girls, to the women, to the mothers, to the daughters who hear the music opening within, please speak up. We need to hear your voices."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...lusion-1278333

Highlighted part being disseminated the most.

From Joaquin's speech:

"I think that we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world, and many of us, what we’re guilty of is an egocentric worldview," Phoenix said. "The belief that we’re the center of the universe. We go into the natural world and we plunder it for its resources, we feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow, and when she gives birth, we steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable. And then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and put it in our coffee and our cereal. And I think we feel the idea of personal change is that we have to sacrifice something, to give something up, but human beings at our best are so inventive, and creative, and ingenious, that I think that we…. When we use love and compassion as our guiding principles, we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and to the environment."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...h-was-unhinged

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Highlighted part being disseminated the most.

From Joaquin's speech:

"I think that we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world, and many of us, what we’re guilty of is an egocentric worldview," Phoenix said. "The belief that we’re the center of the universe. We go into the natural world and we plunder it for its resources, we feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow, and when she gives birth, we steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable. And then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and put it in our coffee and our cereal. And I think we feel the idea of personal change is that we have to sacrifice something, to give something up, but human beings at our best are so inventive, and creative, and ingenious, that I think that we…. When we use love and compassion as our guiding principles, we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and to the environment."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...h-was-unhinged
    That portion of his speech struck me the most.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

They didn't hear anything. They're doing what they've done in the past when they've gotten backlash. Invite people to the audience, to present, and to perform to cover for the lack of diverse nominees. Glad you enjoyed the show and found it more diverse, but one doesn't make up for the other.
    They definitely heard. They reacted. It produced something way better than average. Maybe they’ll learn a lesson from that. The nominees are very different issue. I am sensing a trend though. Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water and now Parasite are 4 of the last 5 winners and they’re all fairly subversive and definitely explore different types of lives than traditional Oscar-y films. I don’t think the Oscars are particularly meaningful but they are lurching in an interesting direction.

Agree that the nominations were embarrassing this year, though. The ceremony can’t fix that. But it felt like a different kinda show at times. Didn’t need Eminem though.
    Last edited by munchin; 02-10-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Winners List

Best Picture

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

Best Actress

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    Charlize Theron, Bombshell
    Renée Zellweger, Judy

Best Actor

Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Director

Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
    Todd Phillips, Joker
    Sam Mendes, 1917
    Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

Best Supporting Actress

Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
    Laura Dern, Marriage Story
    Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
    Florence Pugh, Little Women
    Margot Robbie, Bombshell

Best Supporting Actor

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Joe Pesci, The Irishman
    Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Animated Feature

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    I Lost My Body
    Klaus
    Missing Link
    Toy Story 4

Best Animated Short

Dcera (Daughter)
    Hair Love
    Kitbull
    Memorable
    Sister

Best Original Screenplay

Knives Out
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    The Two Popes
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Winners List continued

Best Live Action Short

Brotherhood
    Nefta Football Club
    The Neighbors’ Window
    Saria
    A Sister

Best Production Design

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite

Best Costume Design

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women

Documentary Feature

American Factory

The Cave
    The Edge of Democracy
    For Sama
    Honeyland

Documentary Short

In the Absence
    Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
    Life Overtakes Me
    St. Louis Superman
    Walk, Run, Cha-Cha

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    Joker
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Sound Mixing

Ad Astra
    Ford v. Ferrari
    Joker

Best Cinematography

The Irishman
    Joker
    The Lighthouse

Best Film Editing

Ford v Ferrari

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Parasite

Winners List continued

Best Visual Effects

Avengers: Endgame
    The Irishman
    The Lion King

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy
    Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Best International Feature Film

Corpus Christi
    Honeyland
    Les Misérables
    Pain and Glory
    Parasite

Best Original Score

Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story

Best Original Song

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” Toy Story 4
    “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again,” Rocketman
    “I’m Standing With You,” Breakthrough
    “Into the Unknown,” Frozen II
    “Stand Up,” Harriet

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/osca...full-list.html

Some reactions to "Parasite" winning Best Picture

Paul Bae @MrPaulBae

Drink up tonight, my fellow Koreans. For tomorrow our mothers will have another standard by which we will all be measured. #WhyDontYouHaveAnOscar #bonghive
    BlazeTV Host Jon Miller Is Accused Of Being Xenophobic After Attacking South Korean Director Bong Joon Ho For Not Speaking In English When Accepting An Award At The 2020 Academy Awards.

Feb 10, 2020

AceShowbiz - While almost everyone at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles gave a standing ovation to the cast and crew of "Parasite", there's always going to be some naysayers. Conservative host Jon Miller is one of those haters, ripping the South Korean movie's director Bong Joon Ho after he won Best Original Screenplay at the 92nd annual Academy Awards on Sunday, February 9.

"A man named Bong Joon Ho wins #Oscar for best original screenplay over Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 1917," he tweeted. Criticizing the filmmaker for not speaking in full English during his speech, Miller continued, "Acceptance speech was: 'GREAT HONOR. THANK YOU.' Then he proceeds to give the rest of his speech in Korean. These people are the destruction of America."

Moments later when the movie nabbed the coveted Best Picture, Miller added in another tweet, " 'These people' are obviously not Koreans but those in Hollywood awarding a foreign film that stokes flames of class warfare over 2 films I thought were more deserving simply to show how woke they are.That should be clear from the rest of what I tweeted about tonight's production."

As Oscars and "Parasite" have become trending topics on Twitter, it didn't take long for other users to catch the wind of his insulting comments. Firing back at the TV host for his racist remarks, John Legend wrote, "Do they pay you for these dumb takes or is this something you do for fun."

Writer Yashar Ali, meanwhile, sarcastically asked Miller when Bong Joon Ho nabbed the Best Director award at the same ceremony, "You ok???? You gonna survive this?"

Another Twitter user blasted Miller, "Don't even pretend it was about 'class warefare'. You brought up his Korean name then brought up his speaking in Korean. Your tweet had nothing to do with stoking flames except those of racism."

"Xenophobia is a hell of a drug," wrote another. "Nah, you are. And we're tired of your whiny, racist bulls**t. F**k off," someone else replied to Miller's post. "Does being a racist a** come naturally to you or did you have to work at it?" read another comment.

"It's not an overreaction - overreactions are when you're right but you've over done your response. Jon's not right - he's racist," another remarked. Another person schooled Miller, "What is America to you? English-speaking white people? An America that would've enslaved you and I less than 200 years ago @MillerStream? No, what we saw tonight is America. An America that's grown. A melting pot of cultures and languages. Take your self hate elsewhere."

But Miller wasn't the only one against "Parasite" big win at the Oscars. One commented on the movie's big night, "I don't like Parasit winning Best Picture Award when there is a The Irishman, as a film critic. In my opinion Parasit is very bad film. I think They want to attract attention to coronavirus."

"They don't deserve it," someone else commented. A person, who is an apparent President Donald Trump supporter, added, "Calling BS."

"Parasite" won a total of four trophies at the Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best International Feature.

Screen Captures of Tweets HERE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast