“ (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again,” from “Rocketman”
    “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” from “Toy Story 4”

Best original score

“1917,” Thomas Newman
    “Joker,” Hildur Guðnadóttir
    “Little Women,” Alexandre Desplat
    “Marriage Story,” Randy Newman
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” John Williams
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Re: 2020 Oscars Noms & Discussion

Secondary Nominations

Best original screenplay

“Marriage Story”
    “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
    “Parasite”
    “Knives Out”
    “1917”

Best adapted screenplay

“The Irishman”
    “Jojo Rabbit”
    “Little Women”
    “The Two Popes”
    “Joker”

Best visual effects

“Avengers: Endgame”
    “The Lion King”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “The Irishman”
    “1917”

Best cinematography

“1917,” Roger Deakins
    “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Robert Richardson
    “The Irishman,” Rodrigo Prieto
    “Joker,” Lawrence Sher
    “The Lighthouse,” Jarin Blaschke

Best production design

“The Irishman”
    “1917”
    “Jojo Rabbit”
    “Parasite”

Best makeup and hairstyling

“Bombshell”
    “Joker”
    “Judy”
    “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
    “1917”

Best costume design

“Little Women”
    “The Irishman”
    “Jojo Rabbit”
    “Joker”

Best documentary short subject

“In the Absence”
    “Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)”
    “Life Overtakes Me”
    “St. Louis Superman”
    “Walk Run Cha-Cha”

Best animated short film

“Dcera (Daughter)”
    “Hair Love”
    “Kitbull”
    “Memorable”
    “Sister”

Best live action short film

“Brotherhood”
    “Nefta Football Club”
    “The Neighbors’ Window”
    “Saria”
    “A Sister”

Best film editing

“The Irishman”
    “Ford v Ferrari”
    “Parasite”
    “Joker”
    “Jojo Rabbit”

Best sound mixing

“1917”
    “Ford v Ferrari”
    “Ad Astra”
    “Joker”

Best sound editing

“1917”
    “Ford v Ferrari”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Joker”

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Joker received the most nominations? Seriously!?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post

I'm glad it's not just me wondering WTH is up with that.

Re: '20 Oscars Noms Awards & Discussion

Oscars: From 'Joker' to 'The Irishman,' White Male Stories Dominate Nominations

Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros.; Courtesy of Netflix
    'Joker' (left) and 'The Irishman'

A year after the Oscars saw a diverse slate of stories nominated and a record number of women taking home awards, the 2020 nominees may reflect a big step backwards for representation in Hollywood.

The plight of men, be they soldiers, loners, race car drivers or two friends navigating Hollywood, will take center stage at the Oscars in February after Monday's nominations revealed a lineup of mostly white male stories leading the contenders.

Out of the nine best picture nominees, six are centered on the tales of white males — Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Marriage Story is a two-hander of a couple’s crumbling marriage; Little Women revives the classic 1830 novel of four sisters; and then there’s Parasite, Bong Joon Ho’s story of a poor family infiltrating the lives of an affluent family, in a film that spans class and gender dynamics.

The hashtag #OscarsSoWhite, which sparked a major critique and overhaul at the Academy in 2016, once again was revived on Monday as only one of the 20 acting nominees was non-white — Cynthia Erivo in the lead acting race for Harriet. Meanwhile, Scarlett Johansson landed two acting nominations — lead actress for Marriage Story and supporting actress for Jojo Rabbit — while The Farewell’s Awkwafina and Hustlers’ Jennifer Lopez were snubbed.

The eight best picture contenders from 2019 represented a far more inclusive selection of stories — Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, Roma, A Star is Born and Green Book explored tales of gender and racial divides. In the end, Green Book’s win still didn’t sit well as many criticized the film for leaning into white savior tropes in the story of a white working-class bouncer who drives a black classical musician across the Jim Crow South.

In a year where inclusion at the Oscars is particularly under scrutiny as the Academy prepares to announce whether it has achieved its 2016 goals to double membership of women and minorities by 2020, Monday’s nominees may feel like a step backwards for representation in Hollywood. And while more and more complex women prevail in the television awards space — Fleabag, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Killing Eve, to name a few — in film, it’s the tales of complex men that reign supreme.

Joker, Todd Phillips’ DC anti-hero origin story starring Joaquin Phoenix as a loner who spirals into a violent streak that leads him to become the notorious comic book villain, led the Oscar contenders with 11 nominations on Monday, echoing its leading 11 nominations at Britain’s BAFTA awards.

Following closely with 10 apiece was Martin Scorsese’s mob saga The Irishman, Sam Mendes’ World War I epic 1917 and Quentin Tarantino’s buddy tale in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

The films dominating the race this year also lean into personal tales after last year’s crop of movies that drew on urgent political themes, be it BlacKkKlansman, Vice or Roma. The top-nominated contenders this year are all period pieces that draw on nostalgia, although some have unintentionally tapped into modern threads. Joker’s themes of violence sparked conversation and controversy around lone male shooters and gun control; 1917’s unflinching look at the frontlines highlight the real casualties of war as U.S.-Iran tensions escalate; Jojo Rabbit’s tale of a 10-year-old Nazi boy and his imaginary best friend Hitler taps into the present-day rise of white supremacy movements and particularly the indoctrination of young children into extremist mentalities.

Pippa Harris, co-producer of 1917, said Monday that one of the reasons the film was resonating was its universal themes. “The importance of friendship, about home, about what it means to sacrifice yourself for bigger things than yourself — this is something many people won’t have deal with and looking at these fractured times, it’s good to know that those values hold up,” Harris told The Hollywood Reporter.

But for the most part, the stories elevated this year for awards recognition are of personal perseverance and journeys. Bombshell, an insight into allegations of Roger Ailes’ sexual misconduct within the walls of Fox News, landed acting and makeup/hairstyle nods, but was left off the best picture race. Warner Bros’ movie Just Mercy, based on wrongful incarceration and the work of lawyer and social justice activist Bryan Stevenson, and Focus Features’ Dark Waters, based on lawyer Rob Bilott’s exposure of chemical pollution tainting water, were both entirely snubbed from the Oscars lists this year.

Harris is one of the “record 62 women” nominated on Monday that the Academy was quick to highlight, adding that women made up almost a third of this year’s nominees. This comes after a record 15 women took home Oscars last year, including Black Panther’s production designer Hannah Beachler and costumer Ruth E. Carter becoming the first black women to win their categories.

This year’s crop of female contenders counts producers such as The Irishman and Joker’s Emma Tillinger Koskoff and Little Women’s Amy Pascal; Joker composer Hildur Gudnadottir; and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’s costume designer Arianne Phillips.

In the writing categories, Little Women’s Greta Gerwig landed a nomination for adapted screenplay while Krysty Wilson-Cairns shared a nomination in the original screenplay race with Mendes for 1917. But women were still left out of the directing race — Gerwig, The Farewell’s Lulu Wang and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’s Marielle Heller were among the contenders vying for a spot in the category — prompting the Time’s Up campaign to release a statement vouching to fight for women to get “the opportunities and recognition they deserve.”

The documentary, shorts and animated categories, saw more women and minority filmmakers and stories represented. In the documentary race, all five films were directed or co-directed by women and people of color — American Factory (Julia Reichert, Steven Bognar), The Edge of Democracy (Petra Costa), The Cave (Feras Fayyad), For Sama (Waad Al-Kateab, Edward Watts), Honeyland (Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir Stefanov).

Matthew Cherry’s Hair Love was lauded by fans including Ava DuVernay when it was named among the animated short contenders, alongside Daria Kashcheeva’s Dcera (Daughter), Rosana Sullivan’s Kitbull, Siqi Song’s Sister and Bruno Collet’s Memorable.

Parasite landing six nominations — including best picture, director and screenplay — does represent a shift in the Academy's slowly diversifying voting body and a growing acceptance of foreign-language films, a year after Alfonso Cuaron’s Spanish-language Roma landed 10 Oscar nominations and three wins. The growing momentum for the South Korean film topped numerous critics’ lists in 2019 and has constantly featured among the top picks for talent and industry execs, praised for its originality and Bong’s masterful story-telling, weaving together a complex web of social themes and cinematic genres.

Honey Boy director Alma Har’el, notably left off the directing lists despite her film being well received by critics and audiences, has been vocal about the obstacles that women and minority filmmakers face in the awards conversation as they are often overlooked. “The status quo relies on women & underrepresented filmmakers continuing to play a game they can’t win,” Har’el tweeted on Monday. “Change the game.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r_breakingnews

Obviously they ran away from diversity this year, but Scarlett Johansson in Jojo Rabbit over anyone from Parasite or The Farewell or Jennifer Lopez is pretty goofy. This is the first year in 22 years I might not watch. This is such a frustrating step backwards.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm glad it's not just me wondering WTH is up with that.
    Not a surprise to me at all, but then Little Women getting recognized was not a surprise to me either.

Difference between being in the bubble and reading about it.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

A bit more on the Joker. You can't dismiss a film that has become the highest grossing R-rated film of all time. The fact that it tells a very "American" story but has resonated with audiences around the world, can't be dismissed either.

There is something very compelling there if you can drown out the political noise and watch it objectively.

Yet I think it is a flawed masterpiece. But despite its many imperfections, it is a movie that resonates. And my gosh, it is so well photographed and composed. That lady better win for best composer.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Not a surprise to me at all, but then Little Women getting recognized was not a surprise to me either.

Difference between being in the bubble and reading about it.
    My predictions had Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at 11. I had Joker at 8 nominations, but not leading. I also thought Gerwig would get a director nomination along with the noms her film did get. So, I over-estimated Little Women by 1. I guess it was the editing category that messed me up more than anything.

My predictions had Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at 11. I had Joker at 8 nominations, but not leading. I also thought Gerwig would get a director nomination along with the noms her film did get. So, I over-estimated Little Women by 1. I guess it was the editing category that messed me up more than anything.

I hoped Gerwig would get recognized but it was not to be. I would be ok with replacing Scorsese with Gerwig since he just repeated himself.

Shame about Awkwafina too but I barely know anyone who saw that film -- and dare I admit -- I have not either despite the screener arriving very early in the award season.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I hoped Gerwig would get recognized but it was not to be. I would be ok with replacing Scorsese with Gerwig since he just repeated himself.

Shame about Awkwafina too but I barely know anyone who saw that film -- and dare I admit -- I have not either despite the screener arriving very early in the award season.
    Other than Joker, I didn't see a lot of the big movies this summer. I spent time at the art houses. So, I saw The Farewell. Awkwafina was good, but I don't know if she was really that good. It was the grandmother who was great.

The Irishman was kind of a disappointment. It's not the length. It's not boring in the least. It's a very well-made film. It just doesn't pass the "why do I care?" test. The emotional stakes are never high enough for me. I may be an outlier - I've always had the exact same problem about Goodfellas, after all - but it's hard to watch so many stubborn, awful, violent men destroy so many lives, especially of the women and children in their orbit, when the film doesn't devote nearly enough of its 3.5 hours to those lives. It's a chore to watch a 200 minute film where you have nothing but disdain for nearly every character.
    Last edited by munchin; 01-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    The Irishman was kind of a disappointment. It's not the length. It's not boring in the least. It's a very well-made film. It just doesn't pass the "why do I care?" test. The emotional stakes are never high enough for me. I may be an outlier - I've always had the exact same problem about Goodfellas, after all - but it's hard to watch so many stubborn, awful, violent men destroy so many lives, especially of the women and children in their orbit, when the film doesn't devote nearly enough of its 3.5 hours to those lives. It's a chore to watch a 200 minute film where you have nothing but disdain for nearly every character.
    I haven't seen it. It is at my local Magnolia, but only at 4:00 PM Saturday. I just don't know if I want to devote an afternoon and evening to it.

Looking at the 10 nominations it has, I think it may go 0/10 like Gangs of New York did.

One of the new movies I most want to watch, with one of the movies I've most been meaning to re-watch (I "brought it upstairs" and it's in my pile.) I don't remember Gangs that well other than Daniel Day-Lewis being excellent in it (surprise) and really want to give it another watch.

I do love movies like Goodfellas but totally see the point of the characters being unlikeable in that way. On the plus side, most of them usually do wind up getting what's coming.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    One of the new movies I most want to watch, with one of the movies I've most been meaning to re-watch (I "brought it upstairs" and it's in my pile.) I don't remember Gangs that well other than Daniel Day-Lewis being excellent in it (surprise) and really want to give it another watch.

I do love movies like Goodfellas but totally see the point of the characters being unlikeable in that way. On the plus side, most of them usually do wind up getting what's coming.
    Scorsese likes to talk about how he wants to show how unglamorous, isolating, and destructive these lifestyles are, especially as an antidote to how they've been glamorized in pop culture. At this point, I just take that as self-evident, especially since he's told stories with that theme half a dozen times before, usually shorter. I think I'm definitely an outlier, though. My 2nd favorite Scorsese (after Taxi Driver) is The Aviator, which no one ever puts that high. His mob films really don't speak to me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast