Agree Agree:  21
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 'AO Qualies Draws, OoP & Discussion 1/14/20 - 1/18/20

Stuart Fraser
    @stu_fraser

26s
    Melbourne Park has one of the great city backdrops but it is barely visible today through the smoke. Air quality is "very unhealthy", locals advised to limit time outdoors, horse racing meetings suspended... Yet here we are playing tennis.

Andrew Marshall
    @AndyMarshall86
    Replying to
    @simonrbriggs
    The Air Quality concentration (PM2.5) was 178 ug/m3 in Melb from 10-11am when play was suspended. It was 173 from 11am-midday when play was allowed to commence. How was that enough of an improvement to deem that AQ has improved enough for play to resume?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Simon Briggs @simonrbriggs

Davila Jakupovic retires after suffering a horrendous coughing fit and breathing difficulties in the heavy, polluted air in Melbourne. Awful scenes
    And likely a tiebreak away from winning. Feels like maybe they'll get this right by the end of the week after public criticism I'd guess, but not a fan of using lower ranked qualifiers as guinea pigs to test out the right approach.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Less than a week ago, the U.S. Federal Government shut down at 1 p.m. because of an impending storm in the DC metro area. In retrospect and in comparison, it is the first time I can recall federal workers being more valued and more respected than professional tennis players.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    And likely a tiebreak away from winning. Feels like maybe they'll get this right by the end of the week after public criticism I'd guess, but not a fan of using lower ranked qualifiers as guinea pigs to test out the right approach.
    I totally agree. I live in SF and we had smoke from forest fires last fall. The fires were hours away by car but the smoke blew into other areas. There is NO WAY that you could be expected to exercise in that air. I know it might sound a little hyperbolic, but if you have ever been in that situation, you know. I'm really really amazed that they are asking players to play. It's totally wrong. To be honest, I"d be surprised if that player doesn't sue. Don't they have to be provided with a safe playing environment? I've read that the fires are going to go on for the next few weeks. If that's the case, I really don't see how the AO is going to happen anywhere near on schedule.

Kevin

PS I just turned on Tennis Channel and this is a paraphrase of Leif Shiras. "Jeanine Bouchard was having some trouble breathing in her match and her opponent (sorry I don't remember her name) was having to serve underhand because of physical problems. I guess players are having some problems "(chuckle chuckle). WTF??? I'm sorry to say that I'm horrified and kind of disgusted. The players unions should really be on this.

Kevin
    Last edited by Pattyfan; 01-13-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Braden Ingram
    @bradeningram
    Air pollution is causing plenty of drama at Melbourne Park. 2014 semi-finalist Eugenie Bouchard is complaining of a sore chest and has just left the court with doctors.
    @9NewsMelb

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

For the record, Jakupovic took the court today with stomach issues, at least according to TC. TC showed limited video. I think I saw one cough. Or maybe that's what they chose to show in their limited video. I don't know. But from I saw, the "horrendous coughing fit" report may be exaggerated.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Donald Young and Jason Jung are playing right now in Melbourne and about to finish set 2 -- Jung won 1st set 64

Stephanie Myles@OpenCourt

Meanwhile, the tournament is firing off promo emails about "stunning" produce and "Harry Potter invading the AO.
    I guess everyone has a job to do.

― Frank Zappa

TENNISMEDIA
    @luciahoff

4m
    "Personally I don't think qualifiers are treated the same way as the main-draw players. I think that is the same at every tournament...We are all human beings and there is no doubt that this is pretty bad for you to be running around in these conditions.”
    @Liambroady
    |
    @Telegraph

― Frank Zappa

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Wow.
    Making the players play in these conditions is completely and absolutely wrong on every imaginable level.
    You can bet all your possessions that money is making this decision.

Jakupović said: “I was really scared that I would collapse. That’s why I went onto the floor because I couldn’t walk any more,” she said. “I don’t have asthma and never had breathing problems. I actually like heat. The physio came again and I thought it would be better. But the points were a bit longer and I just couldn’t breathe any more and I just fell on the floor.”

Jakupović took aim at officials for allowing the match to go ahead in the first place, saying it was “not fair”. “It’s not healthy for us,” she said. “I was surprised, I thought we would not be playing today, but we don’t have much choice.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...or-air-quality
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Wow.
    Making the players play in these conditions is completely and absolutely wrong on every imaginable level.
    You can bet all your possessions that money is making this decision.

Jakupović said: “I was really scared that I would collapse. That’s why I went onto the floor because I couldn’t walk any more,” she said. “I don’t have asthma and never had breathing problems. I actually like heat. The physio came again and I thought it would be better. But the points were a bit longer and I just couldn’t breathe any more and I just fell on the floor.”

Jakupović took aim at officials for allowing the match to go ahead in the first place, saying it was “not fair”. “It’s not healthy for us,” she said. “I was surprised, I thought we would not be playing today, but we don’t have much choice.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...or-air-quality
    I totally agree. All the players affected need to sue. It's completely wrong and of course it's money driving that decision, so maybe it needs to be money (a suit) to drive it the other way. They should really be ashamed of themselves.

Kevin

Not the AO qualifiers, but the Kooyong Classic is going on in the Melbourne suburbs. And Sharapova, exactly the wrong person if the AO organizers thought this matter could fly under the radar, was playing in a match that needed to be stopped because of smoke. Bouchard barely rates anymore. But Sharapova still does and it's a headline and ESPN has it on the ticker.

I'm certainly not hoping anything happened to Maria and really hope she doesn't have any future trouble from playing that match, but that's the kind of thing that will get the talk growing louder and louder to either delay or cancel. It'll start to be a international story and not just a local or national one. I haven't seen a doctor in a story yet who said it's healthy to play in these conditions. If they keep this up, I'm thinking we'll have not just stories of players struggling with breathing conditions but also spectators with unfortunate reactions.

Would the main-draw players be practicing at Melbourne Park about now? And I'm guessing they're choosing not to be out there?

The tournament has to do something. This is out of hand.

Edit: Roger practiced outside yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/s...69420576772096
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 01-14-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Would the main-draw players be practicing at Melbourne Park about now? And I'm guessing they're choosing not to be out there?
    https://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/s...69420576772096
    Quite a few. AO is posting about it as if the sky is not falling. Very likely that the players are all practicing indoors. They've been posting about the top players on main courts. And there are also indoor practice facilities (the ones that have been mentioned as a potential back up plan to make all play indoors on days with hazardous conditions).

I'm wondering if the problem with those indoor practice courts is that there is no AC? There are also no seats for fans. These fires didn't start yesterday. They've had plenty of time to think of alternatives other than "soldier on".

― Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast