Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 2020 Predictions (or, Do we know about tennis?)

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Which kind of a hook-up are we talking about?
    The Fed-Mirka Sydney 2000 kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Which kind of a hook-up are we talking about?
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Kevin

Almost no one likes Halep more than I do, but I'm surprised by the optimism about her year. I hope all of you are right, but I have a feeling she's satisfied with winning two slams and will not be willing to kill herself to win, which is the only way she gives herself a chance at any slam but Roland Garros, and even there she has to be 100-percent committed/focused to give herself a shot.

Tbh, I made my picks assuming that the person I would like least to finish at #1 likely will ��
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Almost no one likes Halep more than I do, but I'm surprised by the optimism about her year. I hope all of you are right, but I have a feeling she's satisfied with winning two slams and will not be willing to kill herself to win, which is the only way she gives herself a chance at any slam but Roland Garros, and even there she has to be 100-percent committed/focused to give herself a shot.
    I think it's due to a lack of a more solid option, at least it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Agree with M8 that it's just such a toss-up, and she has been pretty consistent for a few years. Maybe winning a second slam will unburden her from pressure, and she'll play more freely. It will be interesting to see. Her form in the Wimbledon final was insane.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Agree with M8 that it's just such a toss-up, and she has been pretty consistent for a few years. Maybe winning a second slam will unburden her from pressure, and she'll play more freely. It will be interesting to see. Her form in the Wimbledon final was insane.
    I thought she played well for the first half of the year even though her results did not necessarily reflect her form, and yes, she was outrageously good in the Wimbledon final and really from the moment she won a first-set tiebreak against former nemesis Zhang in the quarterfinals. But after Wimbledon her form dipped dramatically. That loss to Townsend at the U.S. Open was inexcusable. Darren Cahill ripped her a new one in the third set against Pliskova at the WTA finals, telling her her attitude was pitiful and she had no excuse to lose that match.

The idea of loosening up after a big win is one I've never bought. Players are who they are, and unless they have supreme gifts that allow them to dominate after their big win, they probably are not going to change. I heard how Halep would play freely up after finally winning Roland Garros, but it did not happen. I go back to Billie Jean King's line that pressure is a privilege. Halep won Roland Garros in 2018 precisely because she felt so much pressure to win it and was willing to do anything to achieve it. She did not care as much last year and barely won a game for a set and a half against Anisimova. I've also never bought that her loss to Ostapenko the year before was a result of her feeling too much pressure. She really wasn't playing that well and should have lost to Svitolina in the quarters. Ostapenko simply hit her off the court in the last two sets (and got lucky on some key points) after getting past her own nerves.

Ultimately, I'm still not sure exactly how good Halep is. She's a gifted mover, but is she capable of beating in-form power hitters in big moments? The jury is still out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12