Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  8

In case you are feeling insecure about your tennis game...

this was technically a pro match.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...nis-doha-video

Scroll down just a tad...

Kevin

Re: In case you are feeling insecure about your tennis game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    this was technically a pro match.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...nis-doha-video

Scroll down just a tad...

Kevin
    I saw this. I could have beaten that guy. It was a $15k. How did he even get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

That is painful to watch.

I could use a few bucks though. How much would he have gotten for showing up which is basically all he did?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I saw this. I could have beaten that guy. It was a $15k. How did he even get in?
    It's the very bottom rung. Literally anyone could get in. He had never played tennis before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    That is painful to watch.

I could use a few bucks though. How much would he have gotten for showing up which is basically all he did?
    Nothing. He had to sign up for a tennis pin ($50 when I did it) and pay an entry fee ($40).

He'd have to qualify for the main draw before getting any money.

Seems like the most obvious case of match fixing to ever take the court
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Actually, the real mystery to me is why any legal entity would even accept bets on a match at this level.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's the very bottom rung. Literally anyone could get in. He had never played tennis before.
    Club players canít get into just any 15k, right? Was there basically no one else entered into this one?

Club players canít get into just any 15k, right? Was there basically no one else entered into this one?
    Yes, you can! You can get into the qualifying of less popular ones. That's exactly what I was trying to do.

I signed up for five 25ks. Because the Spanish economy tanked that year, a bunch of tournaments were cancelled, and the ones that had empty spaces the year before were suddenly full. Only one of the five had spots for players without at least a country ranking (each country can give a national ranking to 500 players). I think they had about 20 spots for the totally unranked, and I ended up alternate #40. That was as close as I got. I lugged tennis equipment all over Spain and never hit a ball.

Most 15-25k qualifying draws have at least a handful of spots that are drawn in a lottery. Old Man Winter can enter just like everyone else.

Yes, you can! You can get into the qualifying of less popular ones. That's exactly what I was trying to do.

I signed up for five 25ks. Because the Spanish economy tanked that year, a bunch of tournaments were cancelled, and the ones that had empty spaces the year before were suddenly full. Only one of the five had spots for players without at least a country ranking (each country can give a national ranking to 500 players). I think they had about 20 spots for the totally unranked, and I ended up alternate #40. That was as close as I got. I lugged tennis equipment all over Spain and never hit a ball.

Most 15-25k qualifying draws have at least a handful of spots that are drawn in a lottery. Old Man Winter can enter just like everyone else.
    Thanks! I think I knew that technically anyone could enter, but wasn't sure how likely it was that Old Man Winter would actually make a draw. I remember your Spanish odyssey. So Old Man Winter would enter a qualifying draw, not a main draw? There's a 15K in Indiana for women, and I've wondered if I could enter... I'd most likely get into a lottery for qualifying?

Thanks! I think I knew that technically anyone could enter, but wasn't sure how likely it was that Old Man Winter would actually make a draw. I remember your Spanish odyssey. So Old Man Winter would enter a qualifying draw, not a main draw? There's a 15K in Indiana for women, and I've wondered if I could enter... I'd most likely get into a lottery for qualifying?
    For a 15k, there should definitely at least be a lottery, but there's also a chance that you might get in directly. Here's a 15k draw in the US from last week. It's in Oklahoma, and 5 seeds in qualifying got byes.

https://www.itftennis.com/en/tournam...ws-and-results

Without an IPIN, I can't tell if the qualifying draw didn't fill up or not. Sometimes they have bizarre numbers for those. I presume it's after doing some math about how many matches they can realistically host.

Go for it!

Have you ever written at length about your dalliance with professional tennis? I bet that would be fun to read.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Have you ever written at length about your dalliance with professional tennis? I bet that would be fun to read.
    That's pretty much the whole story! I never entered any other tournaments. It was just a silly idea to try while I was traveling. At the time, I had just quit a brutal office job where I worked so much it started to affect my health, and I decided to travel and knock out bucket list items. Spain for 3 months was the main event, but I also went to Vegas, NYC, Indian Wells, and Disneyland.

Researching everything did lead to one of my favorite stories. I Googled "worst professional tennis player in history". A rich bro played qualifying tournaments almost full time, 20+ tournaments a year for 3 years. He barely won a game, losing something like 64 straight matches over 3 years. When he finally won one, a local paper wrote an article with a headline like "Worst Tennis Player in History Finally Wins a Match." Other papers picked up it, and it snowballed, which really pissed off this entitled douche. So he sued them all! Sued them for libel. A bunch of the smaller papers didn't have in house lawyers, so they just paid him a little. He got several checks in the neighborhood of $1500-2000, and bragged about them on his website/blog. Well, he finally ran into a paper big enough to have a lawyer on retainer, so they didn't mind going to court. Their lawyer showed his streak of losses, and showed that no one in history had ever had a similar streak of losses. "It can't be libel if it's true." The judge declared that the paper's were being factual. So, by being a spoiled brat, this mofo actually got a judge to legally declare him the worst tennis player in history!

That's pretty much the whole story! I never entered any other tournaments. It was just a silly idea to try while I was traveling. At the time, I had just quit a brutal office job where I worked so much it started to affect my health, and I decided to travel and knock out bucket list items. Spain for 3 months was the main event, but I also went to Vegas, NYC, Indian Wells, and Disneyland.

Researching everything did lead to one of my favorite stories. I Googled "worst professional tennis player in history". A rich bro played qualifying tournaments almost full time, 20+ tournaments a year for 3 years. He barely won a game, losing something like 64 straight matches over 3 years. When he finally won one, a local paper wrote an article with a headline like "Worst Tennis Player in History Finally Wins a Match." Other papers picked up it, and it snowballed, which really pissed off this entitled douche. So he sued them all! Sued them for libel. A bunch of the smaller papers didn't have in house lawyers, so they just paid him a little. He got several checks in the neighborhood of $1500-2000, and bragged about them on his website/blog. Well, he finally ran into a paper big enough to have a lawyer on retainer, so they didn't mind going to court. Their lawyer showed his streak of losses, and showed that no one in history had ever had a similar streak of losses. "It can't be libel if it's true." The judge declared that the paper's were being factual. So, by being a spoiled brat, this mofo actually got a judge to legally declare him the worst tennis player in history!
    Tremendous.