Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Thank you Patrick!

I want to take the chance to thank patrick for his frankly heroic contributions to running the prediction contest.

Some may not be aware, but patrick will be rolling back his participation in running the prediction contest next year. Luckily for us, ptmcmahon has agreed to help out a bit.

I'm anticipating perhaps some rough spots next year as we fill in the gaps, particularly in the area of prompt scoring, so apologies in advance!

Thanks again to patrick for all he has done.
    I disapprove of this message

Re: Thank you Patrick!

Thanks to Patrick - Predictions is a big commitment, especially as a volunteer activity. Thanks for all you have contributed!
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I want to take the chance to thank patrick for his frankly heroic contributions to running the prediction contest.

Some may not be aware, but patrick will be rolling back his participation in running the prediction contest next year.
    Thanks patrick!

Luckily for us, ptmcmahon has agreed to help out a bit.

I'm anticipating perhaps some rough spots next year as we fill in the gaps, particularly in the area of prompt scoring, so apologies in advance!
    They told me there there has to be "a" Patrick helping with predictions if there isn't "the" Patrick! I'm usually pretty flexible during week but weekends are full with kids stuff so if I'm doing the scoring as James mentions...don't expect it on the weekend much! (I say now.)
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Thank you Patrick for your years long work! And thank you Patrick for stepping up to help out. And thank you James for your work also.

TA

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Thank you, Patrick for all your help!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Patrick, thank your for all of your work. For years, you have been one of the main faces of the Prediction Contests. You are leaving some very large shoes to fill. (Eventually, we will be able to fill them.)
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Predictions are in good hands with my namesake stepping in to run it with James7.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

It is hard work just to make predictions, never mind doing the scoring week in and week out. I am grateful to James7 and patrick for all the work they have been doing for the past few years. And grateful to ptmcmahon for stepping in for next year.

Yes - thank you very much for all your hard work in running this activity so effectively and for putting up with us and our foibles!

BTW - how come we excluded Davis Cup from the predictions?
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Thank you Patrick for running predictions for such a long time. I know how much it takes year-round.

The old guard is finally gone
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Kudos patrick
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    Yes - thank you very much for all your hard work in running this activity so effectively and for putting up with us and our foibles!

BTW - how come we excluded Davis Cup from the predictions?
    New format, so probably not easy at start of year to figure out how to score it.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    New format, so probably not easy at start of year to figure out how to score it.
    Or how to organize the predictions.

Too many ties coming thick and fast - 32 ties, 96 matches in a week and the first 18 ties are round robin with 6 groups and 2 wildcards for the quarterfinals.

Even with 5 tournaments in a regular prediction week, that's only 75 matches to predict.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Multiple issues, a few of which others have identified, yes. The major one being it's something that's taking place in a new format for the first time this year so we haven't even seen how it plays out.

It's also taking place after the prediction year has basically ended.

In addition to the complexity of whatever form a prediction entry form would take, the existing scoring template also cannot handle that many slots (you'll notice the form uses QFs on for most tournaments where we generally make at most a dozen or so predictions for an event).
    I disapprove of this message

Thank you so much Patrick, for EVERYTHING you put into running this contest throughout the years, your time, effort, hard work, integrity, & for your patience, in dealing with ALL of us participants, regardless the questions or petty issues we presented to you. It was all greatly appreciated, and words could never express my gratitude to you, so once again, thank you.
    My beloved Budro: I'll see you again at the Rainbow Bridge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast