Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

2019 WTA Coach of the Year Nominations

Craig Tyzzer

Certification: Tennis Australia

Has worked with Ashleigh Barty for four years
    Barty finished 2019 with the World No.1 ranking
    Captured several of her biggest titles in 2019, including the WTA Finals, Roland Garros, Miami, and Birmingham
    Posted finalist appearances in Sydney and Beijing
    Took home the Rome doubles title with Victoria Azarenka
    Finished the year ranked No.19 in doubles
    Off Court Involvement: Shenzhen Coaches Conference, Cincinnati/Eastbourne/Beijing/Shenzhen content capture and media
    Read more: 'She's not following anyone else's path' - Coaches, legends and players on Ash Barty's big breakthrough
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Re: 2019 WTA Coach of the Year Nominations

Torben Beltz

Certification: German Tennis Federation – Level A Trainer

Has worked with Donna Vekic since the start of the 2018 season

After posting her first Top 50 season in 2018, Vekic ended the season with a career high ranking and first year-end Top 20 appearance at No.19

Two finalist appearances in 2019 at the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy and the Nature Valley Open (Nottingham).

Vekic reached her career first Grand Slam quarterfinal at the US Open

Semifinalist appearance in San Jose, Acapulco, and Brisbane

Posted Top 10 wins over Kvitova and Bertens

Off Court Involvement: Brisbane – Future Stars Development Camp, Linz – Kid’s Clinic, Toronto – Coaches Conference, Madrid/Cincinnati/US Open – content capture and media

Read more: 'It always has to be a little bit complicated' - Vekic reflects on first Slam QF, work with coach Beltz
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Sylvain Bruneau

Certification: Tennis Canada/TPA Coach 4

Has worked with Bianca Andreescu since the start of 2018

Andreescu enjoyed a breakthrough year in 2019 taking home three titles in Indian Wells, Toronto, and the US Open

Reached the finals of Auckland

After ending 2018 ranked No.152, Andresscu has climbed all the way to a career high of No.4 in October 2019
    Made her WTA Finals debut

Off Court Involvement: Toronto – Coach Conference, US Open, Beijing, Shenzhen – content capture and media

Read more: How Andreescu's coach 'channeled' her talent: 'I noticed very early on that she was a born competitor

― Frank Zappa

Barty's coach seems the obvious winner. The nom for Vekic's coach is a throwaway
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Barty's coach seems the obvious winner. The nom for Vekic's coach is a throwaway
    I was leaning Bruneau before Barty won the year-end championships. I still think there's a case for Bruneau, as Andreescu was a little more consistent in the months she actually played. But Barty finishing the year No. 1 is the tipping point for me.

I hope Bianca qualifies for newcomer of the year.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Barty's coach definitely seems like a a done deal.

I wouldn't give that award to Bruneau at all, wouldn't even have him in the running. Highs were exceptional, but the lows were substantial. I sure as heck hope Bianca's body doesn't suffer much from this year, but the decisionmaking of her team which I'd assume are led by her coach and certainly did during the tournaments, has been incredibly suspect on several occasions.

As for Torbin. That just feels lazy. I don't know if it's frowned upon to give the award to a parent or what, but I'd have preferred several others. Vekic was good this year, but I've been much more impressed with the coaching of Kenin, Muchova, Sakkari and Konta.