Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  24
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Re: ATP WTF London 11/10 - 11/17 2019

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Five each for all three of them. It would be funny if Pete were to hold on to this particular record.
    Sampras keeping it outright seems almost impossible, because it would mean none of the Big 3 ever get year end #1 again. A new #1 next year sounds way too soon. The nearest person, Medvedev, could currently have 2 slam titles added to his points and still not be #1. The difference is insane.

Keeping a tie? That could happen. Maybe Djokovic and Nadal each get one of the next 2 years. Then there's that almost imperceptible change where slam titles become heartbreaking SF losses. When Federer won Wimbledon 2012, no one would have guessed that he wouldn't win another slam for 4.5 years. He was 31 at the time. Djokovic is 32 and Nadal is 33, so seeing a shift in a few years seems plausible. We have to see more parity eventually. Right guys? Guys!? Bueller!!?

The only record Pete gets to keep is 6 years #1 RUNNING. But he may end up sharing the total number with one of these guys.
    For next year, I think somebody wins one slam other than this three guys. Then again, it might be Murray
    Missing winter...

FRI, 15 NOV 2019

AFTERNOON SESSION

DOUBLES MAX MIRNYI / 12:00 PM

J CABAL/R FARAH VS K KRAWIETZ/A MIES
    SINGLES
    ANDRE AGASSI / 02:00 PM
    NADAL VS TSITSIPAS

EVENING SESSION

DOUBLES MAX MIRNYI / 05:45 PM
    J ROJER/H TECAU VS P HERBERT/N MAHUT
    SINGLES ANDRE AGASSI / 08:00 PM
    MEDVEDEV VS ZVEREV
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

ATP WTF London 11/10 - 11/17 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Ram/Steak is my new favorite doubles team of all time.
    Turns out, my clinic instructor played college tennis with Steak at Memphis. And of course, Ram is from Indy, where I live. I could get you an autographed photo or birthday phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

If you're Rafa, do you shut down your 2019 season now and prepare for 2020, especially since you're partially injured? Or do you risk it and try to pad the lead?

I say shut the season down. Barring a bizarre result, Rafa is pretty much guaranteed the #1 ranking through the AO--at least.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Turns out, my clinic instructor played college tennis with Steak at Memphis. And of course, Ram is from Indy, where I live. I could get you an autographed photo or birthday phone call.

Thus begins my plan to slowly infiltrate the great Salisbury Empire. With my love of cheap meat and gravy, it was inevitable.

In seriousness, the poor man has probably heard plenty of jokes about his name (mostly from Ents and Giant Tortoises).

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    If you're Rafa, do you shut down your 2019 season now and prepare for 2020, especially since you're partially injured? Or do you risk it and try to pad the lead?

I say shut the season down. Barring a bizarre result, Rafa is pretty much guaranteed the #1 ranking through the AO--at least.
    Isn't he committed to Davis Cup after this? Anyway, I'm guessing he plays. Looking at the points being defended, I'd think he'll probably hold the #1 spot until at least IW/Miami. That would add another 16ish weeks to his current total, and put him about a year behind Connors and Lendl. He's currently #6 all time.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Both Rafa and Tsitsipas played well to get to 6-6, then we get a tie break full of errors first set to the Greek 7-6

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

So scenarios easy now. Medvedev is out.

If Zverev wins - 1) Tsitsipas 2) Zverev
    If Medvedev wins - 1) Nadal 2) Tsitsipas

Sets won't matter (in this match)
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Rafa through 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-5
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    So scenarios easy now. Medvedev is out.

If Zverev wins - 1) Tsitsipas 2) Zverev
    If Medvedev wins - 1) Nadal 2) Tsitsipas

Sets won't matter (in this match)
    At least Zverev is in control of his own fate.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Tsitsipas lost, but is actually through. Nadal has to wait and pray that Medvedev beats Zverev despite already being out himself. Possible, but unlikely.
    Roger forever

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

That's what Berretenni did yesterday...but he was playing someone who didn't need to win.

If Nadal advances he and Fed will play in the semifinal. If Zverev wins he plays Thiem. Tsitsipas will get the other one in those two scenarios.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

So Rafa can still win 2 group matches, and go out of the competition although the guy he just beat will progress? That sucks! Will points and money be enough for Medvedev to play full throttle? Will his supposed beef with Zverev spur him on? Or will his loss to Rafa from a certain win affect his play? Exciting! I think I would prefer it if they play the final rubbers at the same time though so there’s no such tactical options

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

In that case there are three people tied and all will have beaten one of the other guys...no matter what one is going to be eliminated and someone they beat moves on.

I do wonder about maybe the last matches should be at same time...like the world cup round robin. Probably not actually a big deal most of the time, but at the very least would make exciting finish. Only difference is unlike World Cup the matches won't end within minutes of each other necessarily.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 11-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Don't they have only one show court for this tournament?
    Roger forever

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast