Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  24
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Re: ATP WTF London 11/10 - 11/17 2019

I don't think Stef or Sascha are ready to win seven five set matches. Their tantrums during Slams reflects their inability to pace themselves mentally or physically results in their frustration.

I really thought Thiem was going to win this in straight sets especially after snatching that first set the way he did. He totally went on walkabout in the second set and where Stefanos may have mentally conceded he came into the third set on a tear.

I can see the younger generation dominating M1000 play but they've got a couple more years to mature to the point they're ready to win Slams.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

via @ATPtour

Just released by @ATPTour
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I don't agree... The old generation is getting old in tennis years and won't be able to hold on much longer. Tsitsipas and Thiem don't need to be better than 2009 versions of Nadal and Federer, only 2020 editions. Maybe next year, maybe the year after but the damm will break fo sure. The only sure thing in tennis.
    Roger forever

I have to say that the crowd chanting "Tsitsipas" surprised me.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I don't agree... The old generation is getting old in tennis years and won't be able to hold on much longer. Tsitsipas and Thiem don't need to be better than 2009 versions of Nadal and Federer, only 2020 editions. Maybe next year, maybe the year after but the damm will break fo sure. The only sure thing in tennis.
    I think we agree. I think in a couple of years (2021) Stef and Sascha will be the ones competing for Slam titles.

What do you think about Medvedev?

― Frank Zappa

By the way it's the first time a winner of Next generation final follows it up with WTF title the following year. Of course the former tournament is only 3 years old, but still.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    What do you think about Medvedev?
    Tough question... I have a feeling he's less likely to win Slams than some of the others we've been talking about despite his USO final. But I could easily be wrong...

I'd be betting big on Sinner, but of course not next year.
    Roger forever

I think if someone is going to break through and win a slam it will happen in Australia, because if Nadal/Djokovic win than it sets them up to continue to dominate the slams for the year.

The one thing about Medvedev: I think he is the strongest mentally. Things are going well? He plays well. Crowd against him? He plays well. For him? He plays well.
    That will count.
    Missing winter...

Let's take Berdych as an example. He's in the top 10 (!) all time for prize money won, and he DID beat all the legends in slams. The problem is that you don't have to beat one, you have to beat two or three. THAT is what's about to expire. A new slam winner isn't going to be Federer-Nadal-Djokovic, it's going to be Berrettini-Injured Nadal-Tsitsipas. Not every slam, but it'll pop up.

enrico maria riva
    @enricomariariva

A very gracious Dominic Thiem

― Frank Zappa

This week, there were at least 3 threads on Reddit pointing out Thiem giving a heartfelt compliment to another player's social media. I am firmly placing him in the category of Sweetie Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The one thing about Medvedev: I think he is the strongest mentally. Things are going well? He plays well. Crowd against him? He plays well. For him? He plays well.
    That will count.
    Eh. I'll get behind this thought process if he's up against the crowds for an entire season after this and maintains this level. He spent the majority of the season out of the spotlight and under the radar, and spent one huge tournament playing the villain and produced mightily. His game will be studied this off-season much more closely and we'll see where he is and how he competes if the crowd is against him.

Personally, I've seen signs of him wanting the crowd behind him so not sure he wants the crowd against him long term and will continue to produce in that environment.

― Frank Zappa

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    enrico maria riva
    @enricomariariva

A very gracious Dominic Thiem

^ I will disagree with Dominic. I don't think Tsitsipas's game is 'beautiful' at all. To me, it looks very unnatural; forced. Not as bad as Roddick's, but certainly nowhere near 'beautiful'.
    Thiem's style and technique is far more natural and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. So are many others.
    I honestly don't see Tsitsipas as a career top 10 player. He may be able to do it through hard work - like Roddick did - but not out of natural talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    This week, there were at least 3 threads on Reddit pointing out Thiem giving a heartfelt compliment to another player's social media.
    ^ Thiem has real class. He is honestly humble - and is a sincere and genuine person.
    I see Tsitsipas as a phony. I've seen too many examples of unsportsmanlike behaviour from him. He seems very desperate to be adored - not unlike Djokovic, although Novak's need for affection hasn't manifested into unsportsmanlike behaviour for a long time now.
    Tsitsipas's need to be liked leads him to do whatever it takes to gain an advantage, no matter how unfair or unsportsmanlike it may be. And then he claims total innocence, which is even more phony. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910