Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Number of Career Slams for WTA Slam Winners This Year

My predictions:
    Osaka. 6
    Barty 2
    Halep 5
    Andrescu 6

The only caveat isthat Naomi and Bianca need to figure out their bodies and/or get better physios and /or workouts. It would really be horrible if they had to cut their careers shorts because of injuries.

Kevin
    Last edited by Pattyfan; 11-07-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Re: Number of Career Slams for WTA Slam Winners This Year

My predictions

Osaka 4
    Barty 1
    Halep 4
    Andreescu 3

My justifications:

Osaka is super moody and plays to the level of those moods, so she will be up and down her whole career unless she evens out.

I think Barty is a one off, but just a hunch more than any real proof. She's played better in the back half of the season than I thought she would, but don't think her game is strong enough to be sustainable at her current level for much longer.

Halep is 28 with a lot of miles on her due to her backboard-style game and can't win big matches without Cahill, who seems to blow strangely hot and cold with her. But she can combine that weird relationship with her talent and probably win a couple more. Also, very few women have won more than 2 or 3 slams, especially in the open era, and while Halep is a great champion, IMO she's not a champion at the level of Hingis, Sharapova, Henin, or Venus, all who have 5-7 slams.

Andreescu will be a flame that burns bright but short--both she and her team are reckless with her body and her scheduling, and I'm predicting she'll have a major injury that will be hard to come back from at some point. But she'll do some damage while she is here.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

They can all rack up as many as five. And they can all get stuck where they are. By November next year we may be talking about how Sabalenka was inevitable, Amisimova finally matured and Maddie was able to control her ground strokes finally.
    I recently read this. When you say that something is 50/50, what you are really saying is that you have no idea. It means that the chances that you will be right are the same as those of being wrong. And for the WTA right now, any and all propositions are 50/50. Including the proposition itself.
    Missing winter...

My opinion.....Ponchi's last 2 sentences. GH

I just checked what I had put, and I actually have a mistake. I meant to put "2" for Barty. I think she's good for one more. Sorry about that. Old eyes and less than stellar typing skills.

Kevin

I somehow thought Barty was way older than she is. She seems sensible and determined. If I were putting money on this today, I'd say 4 each for her, Osaka, and Halep, and 1 for Andreescu. But I would also put money on only two of them at most winning a major next year.

Of the rest of the field, I like KaPliskova's odds of eventually winning one, and my gut says Sabalenka will eventually get her act together (and a new coach -- maybe when Mauresmo is done with Pouille...) and win three. Her interviews and her career so far remind me of early Andy Murray -- tennis nerd whose court sense/skillz took years to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    I somehow thought Barty was way older than she is. She seems sensible and determined. If I were putting money on this today, I'd say 4 each for her, Osaka, and Halep, and 1 for Andreescu. But I would also put money on only two of them at most winning a major next year.

Of the rest of the field, I like KaPliskova's odds of eventually winning one, and my gut says Sabalenka will eventually get her act together (and a new coach -- maybe when Mauresmo is done with Pouille...) and win three. Her interviews and her career so far remind me of early Andy Murray -- tennis nerd whose court sense/skillz took years to take hold.
    Yeah, I will shocked if Sabalenka doesn't put it all together at some point. Maybe soon. She has too much game and fire in the belly to not win some Slams. KaPlis has the strokes and her movement is better, but she chokes. Still plenty of time to pull it together for a Slam or two, but it's not a foregone conclusion.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.