Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Match of the Year 2019

Surely Federer-Nadal 2017 AO final ought to be in consideration as well. I haven't seen a better match since, the ones early in the decade have faded from memory a bit...
    Roger forever

Match of the Year 2019

Recency + Wimbledon bias. My vote is AO 2017 Fedal.

Not as many memorable matches as the previous decade.

If we’re looking at non-top three player matches, I would include Thiem-Del Potro USO 2017.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 12-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.

I totally agree that the choice is from Wimbledon bias and recency bias. It wasn't the highest quality Wimbledon match, or big 3 match, or Federer match, or Djokovic match, or slam final, of even 2019.

However, it's Federer, Wimbledon, 5 sets, recent, had wasted match points, and was the first 13-12 tiebreaker. There's no way it wouldn't be near the top. 100% should have been the 2017 AO final, though.

You guys have missed out on the real travesty.

The "best" women's match of the decade?

Vinci d Serena.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Apparently there's some controversy about "Match of the Decade" for the ATP

Matthew Willis
    @MattRacquet
    Whoever picked this match as No.1 (of the *decade*) was surely high

Don’t think this was even the best match of the *year*, let alone decade...

Of the year? Or decade? Wawrinka Tsitsipas best match of 2019 for me

For me, (decade) would be between AO 2012 final (Rafole), 2011 Roland Garros Semi Final (Fedkovic), 2013 Roland Garros Semi (Rafole), AO 2013 Djoko Wawrinka. AO 2012 Semi Djokovic Murray. 2018 Wimbledon semi (Rafole)
    I like Matthew Willis, but disagree with him. The Fedkovic final at Wimbledon was seminal, definitely a contender for best match of the year and possibly the decade. I would never watch the 2012 Aussie final again - way too much of the same thing over and over.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I like Matthew Willis, but disagree with him. The Fedkovic final at Wimbledon was seminal, definitely a contender for best match of the year and possibly the decade. I would never watch the 2012 Aussie final again - way too much of the same thing over and over.
    The Wimbledon final was a terrible match full of errors, patchy play, and missed opportunities. Yes it was dramatic but it was terrible tennis.

The Wimby site says:
    Winners: Roger 94, Nole 54
    UE: Roger 62, Nole 52
    Aces (since we never know who counts them as winners or are indeed separated): Roger: 25, Nole: 10
    Break points: Roger: 7/13 (54%), Nole: 3/8 (38%). Not too bad on grass.

Of course, the terribleness of the match might be that the player that won the most points, games, hit more winners and is dashingly handsome and a jolly good fellow lost. But until we find metrics for that, I can see some people believing it was indeed a glorious match.
    Missing winter...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123