Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Match of the Year 2019

Most of us are limited by the matches we actually saw. So many matches, hard to remember them all, and I bet a lot of great matches at small events go overlooked. And of course we have a few more to go, but with best of three format, it will be hard to unseat some of the great best of 5 matches we've already seen. With that disclaimer:

Winners listed first.

WTA
    Osaka/Kvitova, Australian Open final

Also:
    Sabalenka/Azarenka, R1 USO
    Keys/Halep, Cincinnati
    Townsend/Halep, USO
    Andreescu/Kerber, Indian Wells
    Kenin/Andreescu, Acapulco. Very fun match to watch.
    Venus/Mertens in R1 Rome, 7-5, 3-6, 7-6? Didn't see it but read about it.
    Any of Coco's matches?

ATP
    I bet people are split on Fed/Nole at Wimbledon and Tsitsipas/Stan at the French Open. But Wimbledon carried far more weight.

Also:
    Nadal/Medvedev, US Open
    Medvedev/Djokovic, Cincinnati
    Monfils/Shapovalov, USOpen
    Murray/Stan, Antwerp
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-28-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Re: Match of the Year 2019

It's a good list with the exception of Venus-Mertens in Rome.

I don't know who was writing the accounts, but I watched a lot of that one and it was a legitimate candidate for worst WTA match of the year. Both of them were choking in the third set, making error after error after error. Mertens was in a stretch of five tournaments in which she did not beat a player ranked higher than 60, and those were the only two sets Venus won on the clay court swing.

Nadal/Medvedev was one of my favorite matches ever. It was riveting.

For the WTA, I think the YEC often adds several candidates for best match. Right now, I think I'd go with Osaka/Kvitova. I'm still shocked that Osaka was so composed during the tournament. It was her first slam after winning the USO, she was in the middle of coach drama, and she lost championship points in the 2nd set. Kvitova has such a heroic story, and is impossible not to root for. She's been inches away from the #1 ranking several times. My biggest tennis wish is her eventually getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Nadal/Medvedev was one of my favorite matches ever. It was riveting.

For the WTA, I think the YEC often adds several candidates for best match. Right now, I think I'd go with Osaka/Kvitova. I'm still shocked that Osaka was so composed during the tournament. It was her first slam after winning the USO, she was in the middle of coach drama, and she lost championship points in the 2nd set. Kvitova has such a heroic story, and is impossible not to root for. She's been inches away from the #1 ranking several times. My biggest tennis wish is her eventually getting there.
    Kvitova has never been #1? I didn't realize this. I love Kvitova and really wanted her to win that final. Hope she gets another Slam and No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    It's a good list with the exception of Venus-Mertens in Rome.

I don't know who was writing the accounts, but I watched a lot of that one and it was a legitimate candidate for worst WTA match of the year. Both of them were choking in the third set, making error after error after error. Mertens was in a stretch of five tournaments in which she did not beat a player ranked higher than 60, and those were the only two sets Venus won on the clay court swing.
    Thanks! It was the WTA that called it a "thriller." Guess not!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Rafa vs Medvedev match of the year. The last 3 sets were anyway, followed by Stan vs Tsitsipas, and Tsitsipas vs Roger at the AO. Libra has been involved in some high quality matches this year in the women’s

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Rafa vs Medvedev match of the year. The last 3 sets were anyway, followed by Stan vs Tsitsipas, and Tsitsipas vs Roger at the AO. Libra has been involved in some high quality matches this year in the women’s
    who is Libra?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Right now, I think I'd go with Osaka/Kvitova. I'm still shocked that Osaka was so composed during the tournament. It was her first slam after winning the USO, she was in the middle of coach drama, and she lost championship points in the 2nd set. Kvitova has such a heroic story, and is impossible not to root for. She's been inches away from the #1 ranking several times. My biggest tennis wish is her eventually getting there.
    Agree. I think Osaka's draw was harder in Melbourne, and the pressure was greater. And like you said, the coaching issues. At the USO, she only lost 7 games in the first three rounds. Her win over Sabalenka in the fourth round was super impressive. In Melbourne, she had a battle against Hsieh, then beat Sevastova, Svitolina, Pliskova, and Kvitova. Is that harder than Sabalenka, Tsurenko, Keys, and Serena (especially given what we now know about Serena's issues in Slam finals)? I think so.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    who is Libra?
    Sorry, Konta

Agree about Nadal-Medvedev as best match of the year. The first two sets were fairly ordinary, but the last three sets were extraordinary.

Kind of hard for me to go against a Wimbledon final between the greatest and third greatest players of all time and that went to a final set Tie-break, for the first time.
    And yes, the USO final was amazing.

The USO final for the women, which I did not see but I don't care. I loved it.
    Missing winter...

I'm with Ponchi on the men's match of the year......the stakes, the history, the legacy of the 2 participants, going to an extended 5th set with a tie-break. I agree on "kind of hard...to go against". GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I'm with Ponchi on the men's match of the year......the stakes, the history, the legacy of the 2 participants, going to an extended 5th set with a tie-break. I agree on "kind of hard...to go against". GH
    I appreciate your precise use of an ellipis.

That's harsh on Federer calling him the third-best player.
    Last edited by jazzyg; 10-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I appreciate your precise use of an ellipis.
    Thanks, Megan. Off topic...Just minutes ago, I turned in a paper about the play Don Álvaro o la fuerza del sino by Rivas. I'm sure others of you find this concept frustrating: The differences in punctuation among languages, while not affecting spoken language much if at all, can be very annoying in writing in any language. I just went through several examples of that this morning.

GH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast